Marc McNulty

:lol::lol:

Slightly different opinion than you had last summer before he was sold:

“McNulty, if we manage to keep him will score lots of goals.“

Touch of sour grapes?
Or reality hits home.

He should have been so confident after leaving us. Just had his best season by miles. But in the end he couldn't get in a side not scoring.

Yes he scored 28 for us. That was in a season where we had goals from all through the side. But it took him until December to find his feet. Who can afford to play a striker until December who isn't scoring?

He seems to be a confidence striker. There is a difference between having the player finish a season scoring for fun and having his confidence hit again. Maybe for some strange reason he is crap until winter arrives. But look at his stats.

This is why we are split on him. Frustrating to watch for a few months. You wonder why the manager continues to play him. Suddenly he becomes a striker who can't stop scoring.

If he hits the ground running you have a good striker. If not will your supporters be on his back? If you do get on his back what will it do for his confidence?

:lol::lol: Well spotted lad “still haven’t replaced McNulty”
Do you disagree with how he was before he joined us and after he left? Would you expect a striker who couldn't stop scoring for the first time in his career to continue to keep scoring the next season?

He didn't until he ended up in Scotland.

If it was just sour grapes I wouldn't have praised Willis. As I said you have signed a good defender for this level. I would take Willis back straight away. He is the second fastest player I have seen over 3 yards. He will keep getting to the loose ball. He is good in the air. If you can get him to read the game better and get more accurate with his passing you will have a very good defender. On the other hand Burge is a disaster waiting to happen. And you don't normally have to wait long.

Last edited:

Or reality hits home.

He should have been so confident after leaving us. Just had his best season by miles. But in the end he couldn't get in a side not scoring.

Yes he scored 28 for us. That was in a season where we had goals from all through the side. But it took him until December to find his feet. Who can afford to play a striker until December who isn't scoring?

He seems to be a confidence striker. There is a difference between having the player finish a season scoring for fun and having his confidence hit again. Maybe for some strange reason he is crap until winter arrives. But look at his stats.

This is why we are split on him. Frustrating to watch for a few months. You wonder why the manager continues to play him. Suddenly he becomes a striker who can't stop scoring.

If he hits the ground running you have a good striker. If not will your supporters be on his back? If you do get on his back what will it do for his confidence?

Do you disagree with how he was before he joined us and after he left? Would you expect a striker who couldn't stop scoring for the first time in his career to continue to keep scoring the next season?

He didn't until he ended up in Scotland.

If it was just sour grapes I wouldn't have praised Willis. As I said you have signed a good defender for this level. I would take Willis back straight away. He is the second fastest player I have seen over 3 yards. He will keep getting to the loose ball. He is good in the air. If you can get him to read the game better and get more accurate with his passing you will have a very good defender. On the other hand Burge is a disaster waiting to happen. And you don't normally have to wait long.
I wasn’t the one who claimed it was sour grapes, thanks. As for the stop scoring bit, we have Will Grigg remember. I just think it’s laughable how you were lauding McNulty, dreading him leaving, hadn’t replaced him, but actually saying, “ you have a good player, IMO”, would stick in your throat. Well until Howard pulled you up of course

Another ex Coventry city player :eek:

Was useless when we first signed him. Many No one started calling him McWankty. But suddenly he started scoring all the time. Certainly seems a confidence striker. Our supporters are split on him. He has had two good seasons. One with us and one with Hibs. Division 4 and Scotland. Has failed a couple of times in Division 3 before. But as we saw he knows where the back of the net is.

We signed him for nothing and got a decent price for him from Reading. He got the goals so deserved the chance.

It will be interesting to see which player you get. The scorer or the failed striker. How can someone score so many goals but never manage just one more level up? Maybe he needs games before he hits form. But would your support be on his back before he hits form like he did with us?
Slightly amended for truth.

I wasn’t the one who claimed it was sour grapes, thanks. As for the stop scoring bit, we have Will Grigg remember. I just think it’s laughable how you were lauding McNulty, dreading him leaving, hadn’t replaced him, but actually saying, “ you have a good player, IMO”, would stick in your throat. Well until Howard pulled you up of course
I said if he hits the ground running you will have a good striker.

I did dread him leaving. And I was right. We didn't replace him.

So do you honestly think that it is the same situation as the start of last season when he was scoring for fun in England when it didn't go well in England in the season after? He only started to score again when he moved to Scotland.

Maybe he is ready for the step up to Division 1 but wasn't ready for the Championship.

Fair play if you know he will do well for you. I hope he does as he is a good pro. If you can work out why he has done well at two clubs but not at the others he can do it for you. But don't pretend that he will have the same confidence that he had when putting nearly everything away for us.

Slightly amended for truth.
Look on our boards.

Why do so many on here not like the truth?

So do you honestly think that it is the same situation as the start of last season when he was scoring for fun in England when it didn't go well in England in the season after? He only started to score again when he moved to Scotland.

Maybe he is ready for the step up to Division 1 but wasn't ready for the Championship.

Fair play if you know he will do well for you. I hope he does as he is a good pro. If you can work out why he has done well at two clubs but not at the others he can do it for you. But don't pretend that he will have the same confidence that he had when putting nearly everything away for us.

Look on our boards.

Why on earth would I want to look on your boards?

If it's true, it's even mare tragic than if it's false. It's a lose:lose for you. That takes some doing. Well played.

Look on our boards.

Yes read it again, you said the good stuff after Howard picked you up on it. A search of your history shows you only had good things to say about him. I will cut to the drift, you obviously think he is a good player, dreaded him leaving, but still have reservations about him, because he is now at Sunderland.

Why on earth would I want to look on your boards?

If it's true, it's even mare tragic than if it's false. It's a lose:lose for you. That takes some doing. Well played.
We have idiots and you have idiots.

But reading these boards I can see that the only idiots are those who are not Sunderland supporters and there are always excuses for those who are Sunderland supporters.

Yes read it again, you said the good stuff after Howard picked you up on it. A search of your history shows you only had good things to say about him. I will cut to the drift, you obviously think he is a good player, dreaded him leaving, but still have reservations about him, because he is now at Sunderland.
No. Reservations because after hitting great form from November onwards he had another bad start to the next season.

Other than with us and Hibs he has only got a few goals in total in about the last 4 years.

So where do you get your confidence in him from? Because it won't be when he has played at this level before. And as I keep saying he won't be coming off a run where he was averaging over a goal a game in Division 4.

Last edited:
Of course.

Maybe I should just say you have a world beater with Burge and say that McNulty will end up as top scorer. It seems to be all some want to hear.
You say whatever you like, mate. I'm quite content watching you dig. There may be a realisation at some point that it makes sense to stop & ask oneself questions about depth & means of escape.

Look on our boards.

Why the fuck would we look on your board? I personally couldn't give a shiny shite what these players did at Coventry. I only judge what they do here.

We have idiots and you have idiots.

But reading these boards I can see that the only idiots are those who are not Sunderland supporters and there are always excuses for those who are Sunderland supporters.

No. Reservations because after hitting great form from November onwards he had another bad start to the next season.

Other than with us and Hibs he has only got a few goals in total in about the last 4 years.

So where do you get your confidence in him from? Because it won't be when he has played at this level before. And as I keep saying he won't be coming off a run where he was averaging over a goal a game in Division 4.
Why are you putting words in people’s mouths? I don’t think I said I have confidence him, I only ever recall him once and I think that was a play off game, not sure. I am going off what some bloke called Astute said about him in 2018.

If people do have confidence in him then maybe it’s from the same place you got yours when you made the statement I quoted. Y’know, before he left you.

Plus he is coming off a run of scoring 1 in 2 at a better level than division 4 so not in as different a place as you make out.

Last edited:
Why are you putting words in people’s mouths? I don’t think I said I have confidence him, I only ever recall him once and I think that was a play off game, not sure. I am going off what some bloke called Astute said about him in 2018.
So you say you don't have confidence in him but question why I now question hiw he will do coming off a season where he only scored in Scotland?

If people do have confidence in him then maybe it’s from the same place you got yours when you made the statement I quoted. Y’know, before he left you.

Plus he is coming off a run of scoring 1 in 2 at a better level than division 4 so not in as different a place as you make out.
A few clubs are better than Division 4. But most are not. And you have signed him to play at a better level than Division 4.

I would love to see him do well. He put full effort in even when he couldn't score an open goal. I don't partake in this pretend rivals thing between Sunderland and Coventry. The only thing we have in common is being in Division 3 because of being badly run. Oh and we both play football.

Last edited:
So you say you don't have confidence in him but question why I now question hiw he will do coming off a season where he only scored in Scotland?
There you go again, putting words into people’s mouths, you are good at that. I haven’t commented either way on his ability, I am going off your opinion before you changed your mind. I also never questioned you on your stance of how he will do coming off a season in Scotland.
In Aug 2018 you clearly rated the lad, in July of 2019 you are unsure because he only got one in 13 in the Championship, but had a good scoring rate in the SPL. I will wait and see how he turns out, hopefully the Astute 2018 is a better judge than Astute 2019.

Given this afew more days thought, think he'll be a good addition if he's playing off a striker. Seems to be a proper shithouse.

We’ve got a few options there mind. McNulty, McGeady & Maguire.

Anything to drop Honeyman further down the pecking order I suppose.

Yeah I was trying to piece them in with Embleton & Watmore too. Found it difficult. Real depth there still. Especially if we play this 3-5-2 because then there's only 2 spots up for grabs. Don't think McNulty will start ahead of Grigg as the 1.

There you go again, putting words into people’s mouths, you are good at that. I haven’t commented either way on his ability, I am going off your opinion before you changed your mind. I also never questioned you on your stance of how he will do coming off a season in Scotland.
In Aug 2018 you clearly rated the lad, in July of 2019 you are unsure because he only got one in 13 in the Championship, but had a good scoring rate in the SPL. I will wait and see how he turns out, hopefully the Astute 2018 is a better judge than Astute 2019.
I agree.

You either get the younger McNulty who struggled in Division 3 twice before or you get the confident McNulty who will score for fun. He never seems to have an average season. He either scores lots or hardly scores at all.

Back