Marc Bolan and T-Rex

Status
Not open for further replies.

coach13

Central Defender
Just in the past couple of weeks started listening to them after mate at work recommend them to me. I knew a lot of the glam rock hits they had but the early pre glam rock albums are great and well worth a listen as well as the actual big hit albums, The Slider, Electric Warrior etc. Very underrated artist and musician.

Just in the past couple of weeks started listening to them after mate at work recommend them to me. I knew a lot of the glam rock hits they had but the early pre glam rock albums are great and well worth a listen as well as the actual big hit albums, The Slider, Electric Warrior etc. Very underrated artist and musician.
Futuristic Dragon is a great album, as is Tanx, T. Rex and the one with Explosive Mouth on it.

Supposedly before Eddie Cochran got into the car where he would later die a 12 year kid brought him his guitar from the hotel. The kid's name was Mark Feld, later to be known as Marc Bolan.
Bolan's name is made up from that of his musical hero Bob Dylan.

Futuristic Dragon is a great album, as is Tanx, T. Rex and the one with Explosive Mouth on it.
You are right they are great albums but I would go with futuristic dragon.

You are right they are great albums but I would go with futuristic dragon.
First concert i ever went to city hall 1974 :eek:
Footage I have seen of them live looks very good. The T rextasy thing moves the focus away from the musicianship of the man and band.

Some great tunes but the lyrics always make me grin, just totally made up bollocks that make no sense! :D
Yegh a lot of the lyrics are odd, they just seem to rhyme with the previous word or saying rather than logicaly progress the song. More than once I have had to listen more closely to the lyrics but still think that they are made up bollocks as well

Personally i think that as tyrannosaurus rex they produced some decent material but once theY jumped on the gravy train and started wearing glitter and writing commercial pop , musicall y it turned to catchy shite.

Bizarre about Cochran prior to the crash. Bolan (Feld) seems to have been on the money with a lot of his chameleon like existence. King of the mods, Dylan esc folk release's, beat Group with Johns children then glam rock.

Personally i think that as tyrannosaurus rex they produced some decent material but once theY jumped on the gravy train and started wearing glitter and writing commercial pop , musicall y it turned to catchy shite.
Starting to come to That conclusion as well. Turning point seems to be "Ride a white Swan" and stratospheric success

Very good, like the Johns children tune. They seem like what we would call now a manufactured group by the record label for convenience of talent. Still a cracking tune. Debora and Ride a White swan are the commercial turning point to me.

Last edited:
Saw them at the Bay Hotel late 60s early 70s. They were Tyrannosaurus Rex then. Their van broke down on the motorway and the support band had to do two sets. That band was called Free. The young Paul Rogers and his band blew everybody away that night.
Now that would have been a good night of music, lucky git.

christened my first born Marc says it all really
My mum did the same with me in 1971, thank god she was not a fan of Elton John. Marc with a C was unusual in the 1970s And 1980s and people always spelt it with a K but glad she did.

Saw them at the Bay Hotel late 60s early 70s. They were Tyrannosaurus Rex then. Their van broke down on the motorway and the support band had to do two sets. That band was called Free. The young Paul Rogers and his band blew everybody away that night.

I was there that night. Think it was '69
Free had just released Tons of Sobs I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back