Marathon Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Thunders

Striker
Reading a book about it, and one of the training programmes has you doing 4 runs a week for 16 weeks. :eek:

Anyone done a marathon on 2-3 runs a week and if so what was the maximum distance you ran? Read that most training programmes stop at 18-20 miles.

Me.

I used a training programme from the london marathon 'accepted' magazine. It is designed to get round rather than make a good time and has you doing 2 speed/interval runs midweek and a long run on the weekend. Have done four marathons on this. It takes four months and assumes that you can comfortably run for 45 minutes before the programme starts.

Most plans only take you to between 20 and 22 miles.

I used http://my.asics.co.uk/
Started doing parkruns last November to keep me ticking over over the winter. Started the plan in January training for MotN next Sunday and up to now I have logged 30 runs, total running time 30hrs, 217.6 miles averaging 7.26min/mile. A lot of those are parkruns which I incorporated into my training plan. The longest run I did was 23mile a couple of weeks ago before I started to taper off again. I haven't followed it to the letter but it gave me a good template to work from and they send emails to my phone to remind you when you are supposed to be running. This has (sometimes) given me the kick up the arse I needed to go out for a run.

Yup.

3 runs a week with 5 runs between 15-21 miles.

4 times a week would have been great, but not feasible.

The more training you do, the faster you can run it, but 2-3 days a week is more than enough to get round.

2 runs a week on average for me, max distance 20 miles a couple of weeks ago.

We'll find out if thats enough on Sunday....:neutral:

3 training runs per week, plus a Park Run, a game of 5-a-side, a 20k mountain bike and a couple of gym sessions. Still couldn't do a marathon like.

Some good advice, might use it in terms on the gradual inclination of longer runs at the weekend, just dont think I could reasonably do 4 runs a week with my job.

I used http://my.asics.co.uk/
Started doing parkruns last November to keep me ticking over over the winter. Started the plan in January training for MotN next Sunday and up to now I have logged 30 runs, total running time 30hrs, 217.6 miles averaging 7.26min/mile. A lot of those are parkruns which I incorporated into my training plan. The longest run I did was 23mile a couple of weeks ago before I started to taper off again. I haven't followed it to the letter but it gave me a good template to work from and they send emails to my phone to remind you when you are supposed to be running. This has (sometimes) given me the kick up the arse I needed to go out for a run.

Most programmes only go up to between 18-20 miles that I've looked at, but if it works it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back