Maradona

Ibrahimovic managed 16 in his season at Barcelona. You think you could do as well as him :confused:

I see what you're doing isolating individual seasons to try and prove your point, and i understand it's hard for people to accept that modern players can be better than the nostalgic versions of players people remember.
But the fact is they're ridiculously good, and it's not just down to luck or a weak league. Look at the numbers they hit in the champions league, its not like they're playing farmers and postmen every fortnight in the CL

Regional championships in Brazil.
Brazilian national team loaded with stars.
9 goals in 4 games v European champions

he could do it at every level

9 goals in 4 games v European champions

he could do it at every level

Aye I'm not disputing he wasn't good. I'm just saying he wasn't as good as what he's made out to be, and 4 games against Benfica and Milan is hardly a large enough sample group to prove your argument.

Ibrahimovic managed 16 in his season at Barcelona. You think you could do as well as him :confused:

I see what you're doing isolating individual seasons to try and prove your point, and i understand it's hard for people to accept that modern players can be better than the nostalgic versions of players people remember.
But the fact is they're ridiculously good, and it's not just down to luck or a weak league. Look at the numbers they hit in the champions league, its not like they're playing farmers and postmen every fortnight in the CL

Regional championships in Brazil.
Brazilian national team loaded with stars.

Fuck you blathering on about? Santos won the Brazilian top flight loads of times when he was playing for them, they won the South American cup a few times, they beat all and sundry in Europe when they played them. He was the best player playing in the best league in the world. A league that produced 3 world cup winning teams in a 12 year period

If Spanish defences are that bad now, why aren't more strikers hitting 30 plus per season in Spain?
Stands to reason that loads of strikers would just be able to score freely if it was down to the defences, as they all play them.
Messi and Ronaldo are the anomaly not the rule.

Not so much Spanish defences being bad but the lower Spanish teams are poor as is their mentality. They don’t go to get anything out of games, they just go to lose by as few as possible, ridiculous I know but if a Vallecano or an Osasuna can go to the Bernabeu or Nou Camp and come away with a 3-0 defeat they’d be happy. Ozil commented when he came to England and Arsenal played Burnley I think, he was shocked that Burnley actually tried to beat them as you don’t get that in Spain! People say the Spanish league is the strongest in Europe but you go below the top 5-6 teams and there’s some absolute rubbish, place by place the PL would easily beat La Liga.

The reason few others score as freely as Messi and Ronaldo is down to the fact they’re the focal point of either team, everything goes through them. Sanchez left Barca for Arsenal for this very reason, he barely saw the ball some games as Messi is the main man and sees the ball far more than any other player, they get far more chances therefore far more goals.

I’m not trying to discredit either player, they’re both phenomenal and in the top 3 ever IMO. I’m simply trying to explain why Maradona is top of the top 3.

As for superior defenders, go and ask grown ups about Beckenbauer, Gentile etc

I remember Gentile (nicknamed 'Gaddaffi'), being tasked with man-marking a young Maradona in the '82 World Cup.

When i say man-marking him, he basically just booted him around the pitch.

He kept this up for 90 minutes pausing only briefly to punch him in the face off the ball.

I don't think Messi would have got much change out of him to be fair.

I remember Gentile (nicknamed 'Gaddaffi'), being tasked with man-marking a young Maradona in the '82 World Cup.

When i say man-marking him, he basically just booted him around the pitch.

He kept this up for 90 minutes pausing only briefly to punch him in the face off the ball.

I don't think Messi would have got much change out of him to be fair.
As someone on here has posted, the were goat herders. Ffs

I'm not sure that many goat herders would have been referred to as 'The Butcher of Bilbao' like Andoni Goikoetxea who broke Maradonas ankle and then kept his boot as a souvenir.
Did you spell Goikoetxea without checking spelling on the internet, if so hats off to you.

Oh and I agree with you on him and Gentile btw

Love this video, playing against Juventus who were reigning European champions and won Serie A this season with the likes of Scirea, Laudrup and Platini. Maradona took the piss. How do you get a free lick from 14 yards up and over a wall which is 7 yards away and into the top corner?!!

He is too loco for the manager carry on
Purely in terms of temperament, he makes PDC look like Carlo Ancelotti, to be honest.
If he still played today what level or team could he still play for. Everton, Colchester, Bayern or one of the local teams.
Going by the last time I saw him kicking a ball, the Soccer Aid game, he’d definitely walk into our side.
Love this video, playing against Juventus who were reigning European champions and won Serie A this season with the likes of Scirea, Laudrup and Platini. Maradona took the piss. How do you get a free lick from 14 yards up and over a wall which is 7 yards away and into the top corner?!!

You can see the influence he’s clearly had on Messi in this.

Last edited:
This is what is great about this club. We’re 9th in League One and debating if Maradona was overrated. Beautiful madness.

Zidane on the other hand. Turned up when it suited him playing for France. Flat track bully playing for Real. Eric Roy gave more to Sunderland than Zidane did to Juventus.

This is what is great about this club. We’re 9th in League One and debating if Maradona was overrated. Beautiful madness.

Zidane on the other hand. Turned up when it suited him playing for France. Flat track bully playing for Real. Eric Roy gave more to Sunderland than Zidane did to Juventus.
Same as that Messi bloke, only stays at barca as they are the best and he can bang hundreds of goals against shite teams and pretend he is the best player around

Watched the documentary last night about Maradona that was created by the same guy that did Senna and Amy.

Really interesting to watch him from his youth to middle age and him basically just going off the rails.

The football clips included in it highlight what a ridiculously good player he was and the social aspects of it show you how and why he has become the complete mess he had ended up as.

Back