Manchester centre to Stockport (and back)

I was there when we regenerated it the first time before Mersey way got its glass roof. Almost as many vaux pubs as Sunderland back then.
There's still quite a few Vaux signs up. I was in a newish pub last summer with a few mates. It was a warm night so we went to sit in their back yard where there was 3 or 4 big Vaux signs on the walls. I asked the lass behind the bar where they'd come from, but all she knew was that they come from some warehouse which stocked pub memorabilia.

Stockport is the same as most towns currently, in that the shopping area (Merseyway) is pedestrianised and has no pubs, restaurants nor any cafes open after 6.
But if you go up the hill to the Market Square area, its now booming.
The old Food Produce Market has become an upmarket eating/drinking indoor area that looks great but is not so cheap - similar to the old Altrincham Market.
Also a couple of new bars next door and the Foodie Friday (last Friday of every month) in the Market Square gets really busy.
If you like Real Ale, try Remedy which has a great selection (they also brew their own beer) and the Petersgate Tap which one of those small, popular bars in an old shop/office.
I would always get the train to/from Manchester as the A6 (Stockport Road) can get busy. Although both bus & trains should be running after next weekend's gigs at Edgeley Park.
The area arouhd the gig (Edgeley) has a few pubs but would expect they'll be rammed before the gigs, so would suggest drinking in the Town around the Market Square before the gigs. It's about a 20 minute walk to Edgeley Park.
Have a great time as Stockport is a friendly place and is often underated and overlooked, compared to Manchester.
Cheers...

Stockport is the same as most towns currently, in that the shopping area (Merseyway) is pedestrianised and has no pubs, restaurants nor any cafes open after 6.
But if you go up the hill to the Market Square area, its now booming.
The old Food Produce Market has become an upmarket eating/drinking indoor area that looks great but is not so cheap - similar to the old Altrincham Market.
Also a couple of new bars next door and the Foodie Friday (last Friday of every month) in the Market Square gets really busy.
If you like Real Ale, try Remedy which has a great selection (they also brew their own beer) and the Petersgate Tap which one of those small, popular bars in an old shop/office.
I would always get the train to/from Manchester as the A6 (Stockport Road) can get busy. Although both bus & trains should be running after next weekend's gigs at Edgeley Park.
The area arouhd the gig (Edgeley) has a few pubs but would expect they'll be rammed before the gigs, so would suggest drinking in the Town around the Market Square before the gigs. It's about a 20 minute walk to Edgeley Park.
Have a great time as Stockport is a friendly place and is often underated and overlooked, compared to Manchester.
Cheers...
IMO the council completely messed up with The Produce Hall, they should have given it to the people who run Foodie Friday. I think Steve Pilling conned the council into thinking he would supply a product like Altrincham with independent traders in there, but in fact he was given a wad of public money to open "Pillingsville", a watered down version of Altrincham. All the food outlets in there are owned by him, with the exception of the coffee bar.

Good summary of the other bars in the market place.

Avoid the pubs on edgeley high street, they're all shite.

Back