Managers you were happy with when appointed and turned into a disaster

MON - maybe not disaster but not what hoped
Moyes
Coleman
Ross
Snap.

It’s mainly been disappointments for me, only Reid and Allardyce were the managers who I thought would do a job. I hadn’t really heard of Denis Smith and Keane was an unknown quantity at the time.

Maybe I am also being unfair to mick McCarthy as a 2nd tier manager.

Recent appointments Moyes & Coleman.
O’Neil just seemed to give up as did Poyet and Advocaat.

Allardyce seemed to be the only one who could analyse the squad, see what needed to be done and then start making a decent job of doing it.
All water under the bridge now but had he been supported financially by Short and England not come calling, I think we’d have seen our best seasons since Reid.

Doesn't every managerial appointment turn sour eventually, can't remember any sunderland manager leaving the club with us on a high

David Moyes
Look what happened .

Give this bloke a chance you dithering fannies
Martin o Neil the second biggest disappointment in my time supporting- mcmenemy the biggest.
Martin o Neil the second biggest disappointment in my time supporting- mcmenemy the biggest.
Both massive names with excellent track records.

Both massive names with excellent track records.
Denis Smith was a well known player but hadn’t done a lot in management- came from York and did a great job. Got us straight out of this shit league at first attempt for a start

Last edited:
I get caught up in the hype - glass half full view tainted with my Sunderland optimism ! Wilko, buxton and sabrigia are the only ones that I thought were bad from the off.

last manager i got excited about was Roy Keane - there was a brief spell with Bruce when i thought he might have got it right but in true SAFC style he went and blew it

Recent appointments Moyes & Coleman.
O’Neil just seemed to give up as did Poyet and Advocaat.

Allardyce seemed to be the only one who could analyse the squad, see what needed to be done and then start making a decent job of doing it.
All water under the bridge now but had he been supported financially by Short and England not come calling, I think we’d have seen our best seasons since Reid.

We played some good stuff 2nd half of that season, kone, kirchoff, Tunisian winger whose name i can't remember were all class. Didn't sam start pickford that year as well and keep him in the team ?

Back