Managers such as Sean Dyche

Presuming it doesn't turn around any time soon, how long should they stick with him though?

I'd guess as long as he is hitting the targets set by the board. So far it looks like they are happy to accept a relegation as long as in overall terms they are trousering the windfalls from the previous promotion. Building inch by inch so to speak. Attempting to control wages and massive spending on players is the only way forward for a club of Burnley's stature. As Dyche himself said, he will not be party to bankrupting the club.

I'd guess as long as he is hitting the targets set by the board. So far it looks like they are happy to accept a relegation as long as in overall terms they are trousering the windfalls from the previous promotion. Building inch by inch so to speak. Attempting to control wages and massive spending on players is the only way forward for a club of Burnley's stature. As Dyche himself said, he will not be party to bankrupting the club.
I can't imagine they'd be happy with relegation this time round.

Well it remains to be seen. I wouldn't call yo-yoing between the divisions 'building inch by inch' neither.

Of course it is if the aim is to establish the club in the top division over a longer time frame. Spunking huge sums of money on players and wages is a massive gamble if you're spending more than you're earning, as we found to our cost.

Of course it is if the aim is to establish the club in the top division over a longer time frame. Spunking huge sums of money on players and wages is a massive gamble if you're spending more than you're earning, as we found to our cost.
:lol: How is it though? You get relegated, better players leave, you start again in the Championship (where it's becoming more and more expensive to get out of). That' not building anything over any length of time. That's just hitting reset every couple of years. I agree we made an arse of things in the end but we were in the top division "over a longer time frame". Burnley haven't had a longer stint than 3 seasons since the 70s.

:lol: How is it though? You get relegated, better players leave, you start again in the Championship (where it's becoming more and more expensive to get out of). That' not building anything over any length of time. That's just hitting reset every couple of years. I agree we made an arse of things in the end but we were in the top division "over a longer time frame". Burnley haven't had a longer stint than 3 seasons since the 70s.

How many of their better players left?

The truth for them and us is that stay or drop the better players leave.

Well they haven't been relegated yet...

Last time they went down they lost Trippier and Ings.

I visit Burnley every now and again and they've been using any surplus cash to invest in the ground, training facilities, scouting and suchlike, laying the foundations to give them a chance at establishing themselves in the top division. They have no super rich sugar daddy so they're attempting to build on a sustainable model.

How many of their better players left?

The truth for them and us is that stay or drop the better players leave.

None last season. Scott Arfield, Dean Marney plus Jonathan Walters and Nakhi Wells out on loan (Wells was a daft signing for them). They were all bit part players last aseason at best. Arguably they strengthened the squad in the summer with Hart, Gibson and Vydra all coming in but Gibson is yet to play a league game, they're missing Pope, Brady and Defour as well and none of the strikers are scoring goals.

I visit Burnley every now and again and they've been using any surplus cash to invest in the ground, training facilities, scouting and suchlike, laying the foundations to give them a chance at establishing themselves in the top division. They have no super rich sugar daddy so they're attempting to build on a sustainable model.
That's fair enough, and good luck to them, but there has to come a point in time when relegation doesn't fit with the plan of establishing themselves in the top division. They're in a league where revenue streams are massive, so they simply have to look towards recruitment to keep themselves there. It's inevitable.

The training facilities were prehistoric about 15 years ago and they desperately need to update this particularly with Blackburn's excellent facilities just down the road.

The training facilities were prehistoric about 15 years ago and they desperately need to update this particularly with Blackburn's excellent facilities just down the road.

Indeed. The ground was badly in need of an upgrade too.

None last season. Scott Arfield, Dean Marney plus Jonathan Walters and Nakhi Wells out on loan (Wells was a daft signing for them). They were all bit part players last aseason at best. Arguably they strengthened the squad in the summer with Hart, Gibson and Vydra all coming in but Gibson is yet to play a league game, they're missing Pope, Brady and Defour as well and none of the strikers are scoring goals.

After relegation they lost the two Chris mentioned plus Keane I think.

Back