Management supervisions

Did my first one in 1976 and have done many since (mostly on the evaluating side) and I used to think they were really worthwhile especially if done on a 360 degree basis. Recently though, I think they have gone OTT especially as so many workers are doing their best not to drown in cutbacks - expecting extra pounds of flesh is not really fair especially if any support or pathway or rewards identified are unlikely to materialise.

Support should always be available in one form or another. If pathways or rewards are unlikely to materialise then only a bad manager would offer them in the first place

Support should always be available in one form or another. If pathways or rewards are unlikely to materialise then only a bad manager would offer them in the first place
Agree however, most systems have CPD suggestions or needs built into the schemes but lack of manpower and funding means they are often unlikely to materialise.

Performance reviews are a great thing. Those that don’t like them are usually

the people who coast through life doing the bare minimum,
the ones who have a vastly over inflated opinion of how good they are and are fearful of hearing the truth,
the ones how aren’t very good at what they should be.

Those that want them done are people who want to improve themselves and sometimes get on and go further which is to be admired.
Take it English isn’t part of yours?

All I need is "y'all reet"
All my gaffer needs is "aye, jobs a good un "
If it's not he will get told before any supervision, why wouldn't I ?
Supervise those that benefit from supervision, let the rest work and cascade message at team meetings.
I was the same as a manager, don't get in the way of a bloke doing a near enough job, unfortunately some managers have to feel its them that's achieving the result.

Back