Man Utd remind me of Sunderland pre-2018/9

joedurham

Striker
in that they seem to be going irreversibly into decline with a series of erratic managerial appointments, disastrous transfer buys and trouble at the top (hierarchy). Today's result didn't surprise me at all. I just can't see how they are going to turn things around until they can kick out the Glazers and CEO Ed Woodward. No, I don't see them in league 1 in two year's time, but I do see them dropping out of the elite premier clubs.

Prima dona footballers chasing the money and couldn’t give a fart about the club.
Pogba who plays when he can be bothered wants £460k a week to stay. De Gea is asking for similar. Sanchez is on that now I believe.
As a squad there are obvious problems. They forced Mourinho out and are so far up their own arses it’s unbelkevable.

Prima dona footballers chasing the money and couldn’t give a fart about the club.
Pogba who plays when he can be bothered wants £460k a week to stay. De Gea is asking for similar. Sanchez is on that now I believe.
As a squad there are obvious problems. They forced Mourinho out and are so far up their own arses it’s unbelkevable.

The problem is how do they turn this around. I reckon the the Glazers will eventually sell the club when they see the revenue falling and it will be up to the new owners to sort it out.

in that they seem to be going irreversibly into decline with a series of erratic managerial appointments, disastrous transfer buys and trouble at the top (hierarchy). Today's result didn't surprise me at all. I just can't see how they are going to turn things around until they can kick out the Glazers and CEO Ed Woodward. No, I don't see them in league 1 in two year's time, but I do see them dropping out of the elite premier clubs.
I remember beating PSG away.

Their huge global revenue will keep them in the elite without a doubt . I mean they probably won’t have it as good as 18/19 Sunderland but they will be fine

I remember beating PSG away.

one of the greatest flukes of all time and probably a bad thing for them as it was instrumental in them appointing Solksjaer - the latest mistake.

Their huge global revenue will keep them in the elite without a doubt . I mean they probably won’t have it as good as 18/19 Sunderland but they will be fine

And how long will it remain huge when they fail to qualify for the champions 2 or 3 year's running and end up behind Wolves or Everton.

Last edited:
New CEO is vital, they do risk being in massive decline despite their huge status. Need champions league football I would think to be able to service interest on their debt as well as being competitive in every window. Let’s see they spend the next 3 seasons having no champions league football, which isn’t beyond the realms of possibility, they’ll be in trouble. Trouble for them ofcourse means not being one of the elite clubs in the league, it would never get drastically bad.

Look at Liverpool for the blueprint for decline. Great teams and clubs are made by great managers - no one else.

Liverpool werent very much when Shankly arrived. He made them into what they were, Paisley carried it on and after that it was on a trajectory of decline from what they were. We end up now where they havent won the league title in 30 years or so. Who would have thought that?

Man United hadnt won the title since what, 1968, when SAF arrived and turned them into the force they became. Like Liverpool they couldnt stop winning the league.

There is a common denominator - great managers make great teams and when they leave there is an inevitable decline.

Man United might not now win the league for another 25/30 years.

There was only ever one Bill Shankly, one Bob Paisley and one SAF.

Finally look at Clough at Derby and Forest. Great managers make great teams. Take the great managers away and you have relative mediocrity for them.

This is what always gets me with football clubs. they are happy to throw tens of millions away on rubbish players but wont pay top dollar for the top managers. False economy.

Price you pay for relying on one man for so long, the whole "nobody is bigger than the club" shite looks more ridiculous than ever.

Fuck em anyway, nobody deserves the amount of success they had.

Look at Liverpool for the blueprint for decline. Great teams and clubs are made by great managers - no one else.

Liverpool werent very much when Shankly arrived. He made them into what they were, Paisley carried it on and after that it was on a trajectory of decline from what they were. We end up now where they havent won the league title in 30 years or so. Who would have thought that?

Man United hadnt won the title since what, 1968, when SAF arrived and turned them into the force they became. Like Liverpool they couldnt stop winning the league.

There is a common denominator - great managers make great teams and when they leave there is an inevitable decline.

Finally look at Clough at Derby and Forest. Great managers make great teams. Take the great managers away and you have relative mediocrity for them.

This is what always gets me with football clubs. they are happy to throw tens of millions away on rubbish players but wont pay top dollar for the top managers. False economy.

The great managers get appointed by someone. A good managerial structure and a clear philosophy help a lot - Ajax are an example of the latter while Spurs under Levy are an example of the former.

Losing David Gill was also a huge blow for Man United, I sense Ferguson relied on him when it came to unique elements of the modern game - agents, huge contracts etc. To lose both the manager and CEO in 2013 was massive. It is interesting how when great dynasties come to an end things are sour for a Long time however - Clough at Forest, Revie at Leeds, Nicholson at Spurs for example. Could be argued with that in mind Arsenal have done OK this season.

This seems to be the problem for me. Much though there was a huge uproar when the glazers took over, they arguably had one of their best spells under the Glazer ownership with Fergie at the helm.
Since Woodward took over things have gone steeply down hill.
Much though the fans point the finger at the managers I remember distinctly under Mourinho that he said players were purchased for big money that he didn’t want like Lindloff(sp?) people then criticise Mourinho for signing someone for so much money that isn’t up to the job, but just look at the job Klop has done at Liverpool when he can build a team in his own image not the chairman’s.

This seems to be the problem for me. Much though there was a huge uproar when the glazers took over, they arguably had one of their best spells under the Glazer ownership with Fergie at the helm.
Since Woodward took over things have gone steeply down hill.
Much though the fans point the finger at the managers I remember distinctly under Mourinho that he said players were purchased for big money that he didn’t want like Lindloff(sp?) people then criticise Mourinho for signing someone for so much money that isn’t up to the job, but just look at the job Klop has done at Liverpool when he can build a team in his own image not the chairman’s.

Who asked for Sanchez( Utd's equivalent of our very own Rodwell)?

The great managers get appointed by someone. A good managerial structure and a clear philosophy help a lot - Ajax are an example of the latter while Spurs under Levy are an example of the former.
Ajax have been bang average for years so not sure what their relevance is.

Who asked for Sanchez( Utd's equivalent of our very own Rodwell)?
I’m not so sure Mourinho did tbh, I don’t think he signed Pogba either, could be wrong though. I’m confident about Lindloff though (though I’m not confident in the spelling :lol:)

If I remember right the Sanchez signing was just spite to stop City getting him

Ajax have been bang average for years so not sure what their relevance is.

The relevance is that having a "philosophy of play" can help a team maintain themselves in the elite - in their case having to compete with clubs vastly richer than themselves regardless of who the manager is. (see MBH's post re great managers)

Last edited:

Back