Man United

Interestingly the club has had 2 purple spells under Sir Matt & Fergie and both were done with a strong nucleus of home grown players. That's what the fans want but the question is can it be done in the modern era?

Unfortunately they have let themselves fall way behind City in the youth development stakes. Their under 23s got relegated last season FFS! For a club with the history of youth development and financial muscle they have that's an absolute disgrace.
In Busby's time as all clubs had a lot of home grown players. Ferguson did fantastically well with his home grown players as well as his big signings. Credit to Martin Edwards who backed Ferguson when the fans and press were against him.

Interestingly the club has had 2 purple spells under Sir Matt & Fergie and both were done with a strong nucleus of home grown players. That's what the fans want but the question is can it be done in the modern era?

Unfortunately they have let themselves fall way behind City in the youth development stakes. Their under 23s got relegated last season FFS! For a club with the history of youth development and financial muscle they have that's an absolute disgrace.

Football like anything goes in cycles. Man Utd were 25 or so years between titles until the first under Ferguson and I grew up in the 70s & 80s when it was unthinkable that Liverpool would go 30 years without one.

It takes a long time to build stability and success but only a season or two to destroy it. Man Utd have quite quickly gone to being also rans and another club searching for that magic ingredient to make them successful. I can’t see it changing any time soon.

Stuck with a manager most clubs in the PL wouldn't touch :lol::lol:

By most do you mean any?

Good song though and the first three players mentioned have done well for them this season as well.

Ole's at the wheel
Tell me how good does it feel
We've got Sanchez and Pogba and Fred
Marcus Rashford he's manc born and bred
Duh du, du du du du du
Duh du, du du du du du
The greatest of English football

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mendes lining up more of his boys up for a short stay at Wolves

At what stage will you be prepared to admit you are wrong about wolves, fosun and Mendes’ involvement?

Win a trophy?
Champions league qualification?
Win the Prem?

Personally from a wolves point of view the whole set up has already been a huge success. Even if Mendes sells our star players (which he wont without being instructed to do so by fosun) if it wasn’t for these guys coming in we would be in league 1 now

At what stage will you be prepared to admit you are wrong about wolves, fosun and Mendes’ involvement?

Win a trophy?
Champions league qualification?
Win the Prem?

Personally from a wolves point of view the whole set up has already been a huge success. Even if Mendes sells our star players (which he wont without being instructed to do so by fosun) if it wasn’t for these guys coming in we would be in league 1 now
Leicester Fake you're fooling some not me though lad

It’s absolutely class

Anything that goes wrong for Man U or Liverpool is brilliant for any real football fans

The gazillions of glory hunters thinking about changing sides is hilarious

Couldn't agree more. If Gill was around after Fergie he would have backed his managers judgement, or if Fergie was still around after Gill there is no way he'd have been letting Woodward sign players. Woodward though has been given a clear run on the football side including player recruitment. If rumours are to be believed Mourhino wanted rid of Pogba but Woodward wouldn't let him sell him. OGS now wants rid of Pogba and Woodward won't let him.

Woodward is the Glazers man and by all accounts he's done exceptionally well on the commercial side but he shouldn't be within a 100 miles of making football decisions.

The club needs a strong DOF to take over player recruitment and put the fundamental strategies in place. That's not going to happen, Woodward wants to surround himself with people who will let him continue to run the football side, hence him appointing Ole and talking to people like Phelan, Darren Fletcher & Rio for the DOF role.

It won't get better until somebody other than Woodward is handling player recruitment and that won't happen until they fall even further or the Glazers sell.
they are hiring a dof to do the football decisions..

But that DOF is likely to be a Woodward puppet.
This is one of the biggest clubs in world football interviewing Mike Phelan, Darren Fletcher & Rio Ferdinand for the role of Director of Football FFS!
who said they wre interviewed? mike phelan just got appointed at man utd btw..to the role of assistant manager not dof..
fletch and ferdinand were consulted-but were they interviewed formally?

who said they wre interviewed? mike phelan just got appointed at man utd btw..to the role of assistant manager not dof..
fletch and ferdinand were consulted-but were they interviewed formally?
They were interviewed/consulted, I've no idea how formally. But why is Woodward even speaking to these people about the DOF role unless he want a puppet?
What can Darren Fletcher tell him about appointing a top DOF?

They were interviewed/consulted, I've no idea how formally. But why is Woodward even speaking to these people about the DOF role unless he want a puppet?
What can Darren Fletcher tell him about appointing a top DOF?
darren fletchwer knows more about football than ed wsoodward dpoes..
he also knows what a successful club looks like..because he played for one..they know what man itsdd was like when it was successful..and they know what a less successful club looks like...very useful..they also have contacts throughout the game....willm know of peoples reputation within the gae-could help wittle down a shortlist etc..

darren fletchwer knows more about football than ed wsoodward dpoes..
he also knows what a successful club looks like..because he played for one..they know what man itsdd was like when it was successful..and they know what a less successful club looks like...very useful..they also have contacts throughout the game....willm know of peoples reputation within the gae-could help wittle down a shortlist etc..
I'd suggest Fergie has more knowledge about suitable people for that role. Oh hang on who is telling Woodward to speak with all these ex-players about the various roles within the club?
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but at the moment all I can see is Woodward carving it up for himself with Fergie backing him up.

I'd suggest Fergie has more knowledge about suitable people for that role. Oh hang on who is telling Woodward to speak with all these ex-players about the various roles within the club?
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but at the moment all I can see is Woodward carving it up for himself with Fergie backing him up.
why would fergie do a stupid thing like that....? your right fergie is probably involved because the playerrs would be unikely to talk to woodward without asking their old boss..but fergie then presumably thoinks those players are worth talking to..that they are intelligent and well connected..

Back