Man United

They’ve bought superstars and padded it out with shit. There’s been no real planning at all and they’re paying the price now.
They’ve also completely fucked their wage structure to try and get back to competing with Man City. It will take a good manager 3-4 years to sort them out
Man Utd will not give a manager 3-4 years.

The PVA to MUFC & talking to a United fan on Sunday got me thinking about them.
They seem to have a relatively similar scenario to one that we found ourselves in. That being that they have a lot of the first team squad that are royally taking the piss out of the club and/or have a lifting attitude.
Players that just don't give a toss/are out of form (Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez) or that simply aren't good enough that seemingly can't be shifted (Smalling, Jones)
IMO they need a huge clear out and to spend clever in building a team with the future in mind.
Realistically, who could they bring in to get themselves back on track?

as with us though, the problem was all the way through from top to bottom

obviously issues with woodward. is OGS really fully in charge and some of the players are a disgrace.

No, far from it. Man City told Sánchez’ agents to piss off after hearing the wage demands. That left United with a free run. Sanchez was by all accounts devastated as he only wanted to sign for City.

How Man U could let David Gill and Alex Ferguson leave the club at the same time beggars belief. Or could it have been that Fergie knew Gill was about to move on so got out when he did? He is, after all a very smart man.
That mistake alone could have set the club back 20 years. Or even more. Just look at Liverpool
Couldn't agree more. If Gill was around after Fergie he would have backed his managers judgement, or if Fergie was still around after Gill there is no way he'd have been letting Woodward sign players. Woodward though has been given a clear run on the football side including player recruitment. If rumours are to be believed Mourhino wanted rid of Pogba but Woodward wouldn't let him sell him. OGS now wants rid of Pogba and Woodward won't let him.

Woodward is the Glazers man and by all accounts he's done exceptionally well on the commercial side but he shouldn't be within a 100 miles of making football decisions.

The club needs a strong DOF to take over player recruitment and put the fundamental strategies in place. That's not going to happen, Woodward wants to surround himself with people who will let him continue to run the football side, hence him appointing Ole and talking to people like Phelan, Darren Fletcher & Rio for the DOF role.

It won't get better until somebody other than Woodward is handling player recruitment and that won't happen until they fall even further or the Glazers sell.

Because they're not what you'd usually class as Man United calibre players
I remember in the 70s and 80s when they were relegated and were also fans in the title race. My Dad rememembered when they were crap before before Busby.. They've had a good run. Their standard of player they get now is what they get.

Couldn't agree more. If Gill was around after Fergie he would have backed his managers judgement, or if Fergie was still around after Gill there is no way he'd have been letting Woodward sign players. Woodward though has been given a clear run on the football side including player recruitment. If rumours are to be believed Mourhino wanted rid of Pogba but Woodward wouldn't let him sell him. OGS now wants rid of Pogba and Woodward won't let him.

Woodward is the Glazers man and by all accounts he's done exceptionally well on the commercial side but he shouldn't be within a 100 miles of making football decisions.

The club needs a strong DOF to take over player recruitment and put the fundamental strategies in place. That's not going to happen, Woodward wants to surround himself with people who will let him continue to run the football side, hence him appointing Ole and talking to people like Phelan, Darren Fletcher & Rio for the DOF role.

It won't get better until somebody other than Woodward is handling player recruitment and that won't happen until they fall even further or the Glazers sell.

As crazy as it might sound I could see Wolves - who have a very good set up and are apparently going to invest spectacularly this summer - overtaking man United next season

I remember in the 70s and 80s when they were relegated and were also fans in the title race. My Dad rememembered when they were crap before before Busby.. They've had a good run. Their standard of player they get now is what they get.
Interestingly the club has had 2 purple spells under Sir Matt & Fergie and both were done with a strong nucleus of home grown players. That's what the fans want but the question is can it be done in the modern era?

Unfortunately they have let themselves fall way behind City in the youth development stakes. Their under 23s got relegated last season FFS! For a club with the history of youth development and financial muscle they have that's an absolute disgrace.

As crazy as it might sound I could see Wolves - who have a very good set up and are apparently going to invest spectacularly this summer - overtaking man United next season
I posted on here a few weeks ago after watching the City & Leicester match. For most of my lifetime I've been asking if Leicester have any players good enough to get in the United team. I found myself questioning how many United players would actually get in the Leicester team now :lol:

I’ve always liked Man U since going to watch us get tonked in the 1990/91 season. Proper football club.

The way I see it they’ve got one or two possibly taking the piss but the ultimate problem is their recruitment has been poor and the players are simply not good enough. They lack the ability and/or mentality to consistently play well for Manchester United. There are probably 2 or 3 at a push who are up to the job
Which clubs aren't 'proper football clubs'?

Back