Man to Man marking

sessions

Striker
How come we don’t see this tactic being used as rigidly as it was back in the day anymore ??
Against someone like De Bruyne it would seem a decent tactic to close him down completely. Just a thought

Really ? Not so sure myself. If that player drags you away it also means he’s been taken out of the game as well.

Loads of ways to exploit it and it prevents the team using it from being fluid in attack with their formation.

For an example of the exploitation, strikers who are man-marked can push wide to create a hole through the middle, allowing attacking midfielders to run straight through. Or you might have short strikers but a tall attacking midfielder against tall central defenders and shorter defensive midfielders (common as defensive midfielders tend to need to be more mobile than central defenders in general), allowing the tall attacking midfielder to be a more dangerous aerial threat than he would be against a zonal system.

For an example of the lack of fluidity, full backs have to remain purely defensive with a man marking system, because they have to think about where the opposition wingers are at all times, whereas with a zonal marking system, one full back can go forward on the overlap with the rest of the defenders pulling towards his side to cover the opposition winger in case of a counterattack.

How come we don’t see this tactic being used as rigidly as it was back in the day anymore ??
Against someone like De Bruyne it would seem a decent tactic to close him down completely. Just a thought

Sunday's game against Man U, proved that you only have to get a little physical with him and he disappears.....Unlike Silva who likes to mix it up!

If you've got a defender good enough to mark De Bruyne out of the game, then you need him free to help deal with all the other great players Man City have.

If you've got a defender good enough to mark De Bruyne out of the game, then you need him free to help deal with all the other great players Man City have.
A midfielder

Loads of ways to exploit it and it prevents the team using it from being fluid in attack with their formation.

For an example of the exploitation, strikers who are man-marked can push wide to create a hole through the middle, allowing attacking midfielders to run straight through. Or you might have short strikers but a tall attacking midfielder against tall central defenders and shorter defensive midfielders (common as defensive midfielders tend to need to be more mobile than central defenders in general), allowing the tall attacking midfielder to be a more dangerous aerial threat than he would be against a zonal system.

For an example of the lack of fluidity, full backs have to remain purely defensive with a man marking system, because they have to think about where the opposition wingers are at all times, whereas with a zonal marking system, one full back can go forward on the overlap with the rest of the defenders pulling towards his side to cover the opposition winger in case of a counterattack.

I was talking about midfielders more than others. Their influence on the game is far greater. Literally to take one person totally out of it.
As Clough said.... stop Stan Bowles you stop QPR

Last edited:
A midfielder

I was talking about midfielders more than others. Their influence on the game is far greater. Literally to take one person totally out of it.
As Clough said.... stop Stan Bowles you stop QPR

But taking out De Bruyne doesn't stop Man City. It'll just help the other players become more prominent. That doesn't mean you definitely shouldn't man mark him, mind.

if you are man marking de bruyne then who is marking sterling, aguero, sane, silva, jesus etc...

it sounds nice, but in reality it would only take half a second for one of them to lose their marker and all of a sudden you have massive gaps and the last thing you want is one of the fuckers being free in your box

i'm not saying i know how to stop them, but surely defending as one solid unit of 2 banks of 4 or 5 is the only chance you have

I recall Reidy trying out against Leicester once - was it Collymore or Akinbiyi he was trying to stop? Didn't work anyway, think we lost by three goals at least

it's not as easy as just sticking someone on the player
Moyes (I know) said he would have done it with Hazard at the weekend but doesn't have a player who can do the role

Back