Making new friends/getting a girlfriend at 42

So sorry to hear all that. Have a hug. It's really tough when a relationship breaks down.

Respect your decision on the depression issue but just wanted to say that if you change your mind, please do join us on the depression thread as plenty on there will support you.

Are there any local independant gyms nearby? I've joined one at Birtley which is just run by one lad. It's pretty basic in an industrial unit but what makes it better than all your fancy chain gyms is that the bloke actually cares about people, not just in the gym but helping with diet, emotional issues and all sorts. I'm training there three times a week now and have made some good friends with people I've met there. I'm shy too but once I got over the first couple of sessions, I just felt like I fit in there. Ask around and see if there is a similar set up nearer to you.

Do you go to the match at all? There's a group of us meet up before the match for a natter. You're more than welcome to join us. All very nice people and I've made good friends there too. Shame it's the close season now mind!

I've got free time this weekend if you fancy a natter over a cuppa/pint/walk on the beach etc.
Thanks becs, I might take you up on the offer one day when I’m a bit more stable and the idea of meeting someone I don’t know stops terrifying me.

I’m self employed mate, and work with pretty much my only friend up here. It’s the only thing I miss about working for a big company - being amongst loads of people that you can crack on with. My problem is that I’m a terrible misanthrope and have a tendency to approach everything as if it’s going to be shit so why bother...I’ve got a lot of work to do on my personal growth if I’m honest.

Find your people | Meetup

Never been to a meeting arranged by anyone cannot remember how I stumbled on it but there might be something that gets you out of the house.

Tinder etc are an absolute gift from the gods.

I've never used it for my own gain but my mate lets me have a blast on his once in a while as he can see it blows my mind. :lol::oops:

Logon or register to see this image

Don't just dismiss it needlessly, it's there to benefit from.
I don’t really photograph well mate, and the idea of being judged on that alone is a bit too much at the moment. I’ve always done much better in social situations where I can make girls laugh for the right reasons, rather than at my baldy heid and face! It’s just hard to engineer those social situations now.

I packed in drinking a few years ago, but it sounds like I’ll have to get back on it!
Probably not a good idea mate! As others have said, take up a new hobby, have a look for what's around. Do they still have those fitness boot camps sessions down on the beach? they'll be social. There'll be loads of clubs for sailing, kayaking etc that'll have good social sides.
is speed dating still a thing?

Tinder etc are an absolute gift from the gods.

I've never used it for my own gain but my mate lets me have a blast on his once in a while as he can see it blows my mind. :lol::oops:

Logon or register to see this image

Don't just dismiss it needlessly, it's there to benefit from.

It's like going into a sweet shop and being told you can have whatever you want for nowt. Except instead of sweets, it's blart.

The greatest lie ever told.

It is mate ... rather than worry about my ever amounting debt, my failing relationship and shite stressful going nowhere career ... I’m always thinking about how to get that ruddy club face closed to the path I’m swinging on, putt I left short on 11 in the medal on Sunday and why I chipped into the bunker on 4 in the Wednesday midweek medal

Maybe join a volunteer group of some sort? Can be as daft as litter picking through to sorting stuff for charities through to helping look after an unmanned railway station as I do. They are worthwhile occupations and you meet people from all walks of life.

There’s one near me for looking after squirrels. Sounds mint imo.

Back