making a will help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

it's quite expensive with a solicitor and I was wondering if there are any decent sites to look at and to make a will which would be all legit?

seen an advert about this for a which guide, which they are sending but was wondering, in the mean time, if the SMB legal buffs can point me in the right direction
It's not that pricey if it's a straightforward will. Think mine was about £100.

it's quite expensive with a solicitor and I was wondering if there are any decent sites to look at and to make a will which would be all legit?

seen an advert about this for a which guide, which they are sending but was wondering, in the mean time, if the SMB legal buffs can point me in the right direction

I can help you sort it, just leave everything to me :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm really trustworthy Stephen. I will PM you my personal details and you can will me your estate as a precautionary measure and if the worst should happen I will make sure the money is distributed out equally to your loved ones.
Also Stephen you have won 50 million Ugandan dollars ....pleases send me your bank account details so I can deposit your money at the earliest convenience .....smiley face.
acct no 21212103, sort code 03-03-03

Make sure you look at a power of attorney for financial and medical issues at the same time. They are 2 separate forms now but it makes things simple by nominating someone to make your financial and medical decisions on your behalf.
This is for circumstances when you are still alive but for whatever reason are not able to make your own decisions. If you are unfortunate enough to end up in this position it avoids you being looked after by the court of protection on your behalf for which they charge a fortune to administer you affairs.

Make sure you look at a power of attorney for financial and medical issues at the same time. They are 2 separate forms now but it makes things simple by nominating someone to make your financial and medical decisions on your behalf.
This is for circumstances when you are still alive but for whatever reason are not able to make your own decisions. If you are unfortunate enough to end up in this position it avoids you being looked after by the court of protection on your behalf for which they charge a fortune to administer you affairs.
Power of Attorney is something to have in place when you reach a certain age that hopefully you will never need. The forms are really simple to complete and can be downloaded to keep costs to a minimum.

Power of Attorney is something to have in place when you reach a certain age that hopefully you will never need. The forms are really simple to complete and can be downloaded to keep costs to a minimum.
Generally you are right, however I found out about them when a mate of mine was in a bad car accident and ended up with life changing brain injuries. His family went through the wringer trying to get his care etc sorted out on his behalf.

Get a lawyer to do it mate, for the peace of mind. I know I am one, so you might think 'she would say that wouldn't she', but I would never cut corners on either conveyancing or getting wills done. Get them to give you a fixed quote, shop around. I wouldn't do my own conveyancing or will even though I could - worth getting someone else to do it not least because of their comprehensive professional insurance ;)

Cost me around 400 quid, but mine was complicated that money and property was tied up in different places, not just the UK. So mine was done out of Jersey, for the offshore angle. My parents did theirs some years back and it was around a 100 quid, discounted for Barclays customers, or something like that.
Need to be careful about that, banks might offer a discounted rate in return for being appointed as executors, for which they can take further fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay the fee for a professional will. Get it done shonkily and a simple ambiguous statement could be interpreted incorrectly and cost your family a whole load more than the fee. You say you have assets, well use a couple of hundred or so pounds and do it properly. Get executors you can trust also. And apart from small estates your executor/trix will have to obtain probate. A will doesn't absolve this.

I am a solicitor, but in Scotland, so I can't offer much assistance.

What I can say is that the DIY kits usually end up being a total nightmare and the resultant fall out is hugely difficult for the surviving family. Of course, the person who made the will is dead and doesn't give a shiny shite, but I think you'd be safer to get one done through a solicitor.
please explain fella......please explain how a simple will leaving everything to the wife and a couple of bequests to children is a nightmare? as long as you add a line describing who you want your assets left to if your wife dies at same time . obviouslywill must be signed wittnessed and dated.

Not read the whole thread yet, but if you're in a union they should have a free will service. Unite do.

this is my worry, don't want hassle if anything was to happen for the wife or the kids.

would hate to think she had to go to probate etc.

as I said, which magazine have been advertising a will manual today, so I texted EASY1 to 80057, to get the free guide

waiting for a call, I assume now, as they texted back, to confirm they received my request
If you have more than 50k in the bank you would have to go to probate whether you have a will or not

please explain fella......please explain how a simple will leaving everything to the wife and a couple of bequests to children is a nightmare? as long as you add a line describing who you want your assets left to if your wife dies at same time . obviouslywill must be signed wittnessed and dated.
I can only go with experience of seeing the aftermath. People generally are not clear. A common example is people leave everything in a particular savings account to a named individual. Years later, they move everything from that particular savings account to an USA as its got a better interest rate. When they die, there's nowt in the savings account, and no legacy as was originally intended.

Plus, a large number of people seem to have difficulties in form filling and frequently just get it wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back