Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

I've just finished off making a base tonight actually. Forgot just how big of a pan you need to do it! Had to split into a couple of pans and even those were at their limits.

I've just finished off making a base tonight actually. Forgot just how big of a pan you need to do it! Had to split into a couple of pans and even those were at their limits.

Did a base and curry this week
Decider im not doing again until we get a bigger kitchen. Utter chaos in a small kitchen. Stuff everywhere. Pleased with my Madras. Not perfect but a good 8/10. Did a watered down butter chicken for the family. Went down quite well.

I take it you’re still veggie/vegan? Haven’t looked at Al’s veg dishes.

Aye. You can obviously make they majority of them vegetarian by just replacing the meat with either chickpeas or paneer. Haven't done this for ages now but used to make the madras fairly often, the korma is very good (says someone who doesn't really care for creamy curries) as are the chana saag masala and balti.

Never done a rogan so might try that next week.

Made a chilli garlic chicken last night, one of the best curries weve ever made.
My son bought this book, thats were we got the idea from.
Curry Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
Made a chilli garlic chicken last night, one of the best curries weve ever made.
My son bought this book, thats were we got the idea from.
Curry Guy
One of my favourites that. If anyone fancies a new challenge, I'm trying the School of Wok chinese cooking. Made a chicken sweet and sour the other day, and it was identical to what you get at the take away. Who knew S&S sauce was just tomato ketchup, Rice Vinegar and Sugar in equal proportions?

One of my favourites that. If anyone fancies a new challenge, I'm trying the School of Wok chinese cooking. Made a chicken sweet and sour the other day, and it was identical to what you get at the take away. Who knew S&S sauce was just tomato ketchup, Rice Vinegar and Sugar in equal proportions?
IS there a website for that?

IS there a website for that?
Youtube

He does knife skills and shows how to season a wok properly, and things like that too, which I'm sure I'll find helpful

Last edited:
Youtube

He does knife skills and shows how to season a wok properly, and things like that too, which I'm sure I'll find helpful
Thanks going to try some of that.

Made a base gravy a cpl weeks ago and stuck most of it in the freezer. Bairn wanted a curry the other day, so took out 2 portions of said gravy. Followed the recipe or Beef Madras to a T, until I get to the part where it said .. now serve with coriander and a little cream... Still having not touched the Gravy which was obviously now defrosted ..... Base Gravy obviously not needed for Beef Madras.

Oh well, only 1 thing for it... Make a Chicken Masalla AS WELL .. Happy Days!

Made a base gravy a cpl weeks ago and stuck most of it in the freezer. Bairn wanted a curry the other day, so took out 2 portions of said gravy. Followed the recipe or Beef Madras to a T, until I get to the part where it said .. now serve with coriander and a little cream... Still having not touched the Gravy which was obviously now defrosted ..... Base Gravy obviously not needed for Beef Madras.

Oh well, only 1 thing for it... Make a Chicken Masalla AS WELL .. Happy Days!

Gravy is needed for Madras surely?

Thats what I thought mate .... Not the Base Gravy ... you make a separate one according to his introductions here ..
Ah, that's the slow cooker version. Yeah, no base in that one. He has at least 2 others that I can think of. The original, the 4-ingredient quick one, and possible a balti version too. All the others use base.

Ah, that's the slow cooker version. Yeah, no base in that one. He has at least 2 others that I can think of. The original, the 4-ingredient quick one, and possible a balti version too. All the others use base.
We follow that one above, but used a normal pan/stock pot. Look cooking.

Ah yes, he did it in a normal pot, I did mine in the instant pot, it was ace tbh
Any others you recommend @PTR - Only really tried Chicken Masalla or Beef Madras. I quiet like a creamy one, my son a spicy one, althou reckons the Madras wasnt hot enough and the missues (no) just likes a hot oen, but not that hot you cant taste the spices

Fancy sharing some of your best instant pot ones mate? Just links to the ones which work well from Al's videos will do!
That's the only one I do in the instant pot. And the base itself, of course
Any others you recommend @PTR - Only really tried Chicken Masalla or Beef Madras. I quiet like a creamy one, my son a spicy one, althou reckons the Madras wasnt hot enough and the missues (no) just likes a hot oen, but not that hot you cant taste the spices
The Chasni is very nice. Balti Jalfrezi too.

Back