Major Major's Coleman poll - stay or go?

Stay or go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Definite stay for me. I’d like him to be the man who puts us back on an upwards trajectory.

I think it's the hardest time to manage us because of everything that's going on. He's got our highest paid player who seems determined not to play. An owner who doesn't speak to him. Potential takeover talks which have the capacity to distract. Players who think they're too good for us. Players who are still on good money but seem past it to the point where even Championship games pass them by. Having to sign players in desperation, hence the last minute purchasing of Camp and Fletcher. An inability to spend a single penny, with no signs of that improving due to a huge external loan that could threaten the whole club's existence. Injury problems to key players, often long term and making it nigh on impossible to pick his best side consistently; many of these injury prone players signed before he got here (and in one case just as one gets fit he decides to get pissed and crash his car). A fan base who are pissed off and in many cases staying away. A fragile squad who seem unable to get over their fear of playing at home. He's been landed with the worst collection of goalkeepers we've ever had (I realise he brought one in, much though he wasn't his first choice, but it still must be a nightmare trying to put a team out when you have so little confidence in those in goal).

Yes, he hasn't had to play top teams, but I'd say this is about the hardest time ever to manage the club, it's an absolute mess at present, it's failing in just about every aspect. He could certainly have done better, but I wouldn't be kicking him out yet when he's had no chance to get a side together and when he's trying to deal with all of the above. I wouldn't give him an eternity though, he needs results to come next season when he's got his own side together in a league where not spending doesn't give you an immediate disadvantage

Exactly this. It’s without doubt been the most testing time our club has been through, thus, the hardest time to manage.

Last edited:
I'm totally underwhelmed by his substitutions and team setup. But the cost of sacking him made me vote for him to stay. Perhaps getting a decent keeper in over the summer will give him the confidence to try a few different options.

It is also my opinion that Coleman has done the club a huge disservice with his treatment of Jack Rodwell. I'm not a fan of Rodwell (is there such a thing anymore?) but think a good manager makes the most of the resources at their disposal. Sunderland are not so well endowed with good central defenders that we shouldn't at least have tried him there in a few training games. If Rodwell didn't work out as a defender then at least Coleman could have him working to improve in midfield and would have another player in his squad.

Probs seemed daft at the time to most people but you were absolutely right hank.

Our next appointment if Coleman leaves is going to have to be an unfashionable choice, people need to accept that. We're headed to League One ffs.
Ole Hank is always right man
All people had to dee was look at Warnock record

Season before he saved Rotherham at a canter

After he left they plummeted look at Cardiff etc etc

I rest my case mlaud

I'd keep him for another year and give him the chance to get rid of the shite and build his own team.
Which signing from January suggests he has any ability to build his own team?

We could have had Pep in and we likely would be relegated. Our manager is not the problem.

I quite like CC.
That's not true though is it?
There's absolutely no way we are the worst team in this league yet we look likely to finish rock bottom.
5 at the back was an absolute disaster. Keeping Mcgeady on the bench half the season was an absolute disaster.
Blindly picking fletcher every game since January has been a disaster.
Every single one of his signings has been a disaster.
We've had some bad luck but CC has been nothing short of pathetic. Seems most who are happy for him to stay are only voting for that because they can't think of who we'd end up with next.

He seems canny enough in press conferences though so let's crack on.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHD
Ole Hank is always right man
All people had to dee was look at Warnock record

Season before he saved Rotherham at a canter

After he left they plummeted look at Cardiff etc etc

I rest my case mlaud
I'm not going to argue about Pulis or Warnock, both would have been 100 times the manager of Grayson but Warnock has spent 11 million this season.

Interesting..a few more than my poll, but virtually identical - 83%/17% . The SMB has spoken.

As with most things that cause debate on here it's the minority that shout the loudest. Going off threads over the last month or so you would think that this place was really against Coleman when in truth it's the opposite.
That said the vocal minority may well be proven correct if he does stay next season, I just can't see us getting anyone better in while Short is here.

Interesting..a few more than my poll, but virtually identical - 83%/17% . The SMB has spoken.

Think it's been mentioned before so you probably already know but since it's a public vote if you click on the bit where it says how many votes each option has (so for stay, click on the bit that says 346 votes at the minute), you can see which posters voted for that option. I know that's something you were interested in on your post

Stay as I have no idea who else we would get and it’s about time we allow a manager to put his stamp on the club rather than the constant chopping and changing. He hasn’t convinced me mind.

Parkinson had a worse hand at Bolton yet has done a better job.
With a squad that was his. Walking into this shit storm mid season is a totally different affair

He hasn't. Barring a miracle we're going down marra.
The worst Sunderland team ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back