Major Major's Coleman poll - stay or go?

Stay or go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Next season will go one of two ways.

We either get down there and find the league is absolutely shite and we tear it apart, all the while having to listen to the insufferable twat stroking himself over what a good job he's doing, only to then struggle upon promotion as everybody eventually realises he's not cut out for it and it's finally time for him to go.

Or we continue to struggle and he's gone by October leaving whoever comes in after with a right job on to get us out of another mess without the luxury of a transfer window.

I've voted stay. Like most others I'm not going to pretend I'm impressed with him; tactics have been poor, signings have been poor (even allowing for huge constraints). That being said this must be the hardest ever time to manage SAFC. Next season we'll be in a league where no one spends, our academy should be producing players at least capable of a squad role, we'll have the highest wage budget in the league and thus should be able to convince people to sign who can do a job in that league. We need at least play offs next season and I'd let Coleman try and get us there. Anything less (or if we start dreadfully to the point where we're around November and miles off the pace) and he'd need to go, but I'd give him time for now

I disagree - once this season's over he'll have had 30 league games in charge, and none of them were against the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs. We've played a set of neebodies all bloody season man. Thirty games to pick up points against sine players ya've never heard of in ya life. Results should have been better.

Last edited:
I've voted stay. Like most others I'm not going to pretend I'm impressed with him; tactics have been poor, signings have been poor (even allowing for huge constraints). That being said this must be the hardest ever time to manage SAFC. Next season we'll be in a league where no one spends, our academy should be producing players at least capable of a squad role, we'll have the highest wage budget in the league and thus should be able to convince people to sign who can do a job in that league. We need at least play offs next season and I'd let Coleman try and get us there. Anything less (or if we start dreadfully to the point where we're around November and miles off the pace) and he'd need to go, but I'd give him time for now

As normal ‘hair’ nails it

We either get down there and find the league is absolutely shite and we tear it apart, all the while having to listen to the insufferable twat stroking himself over what a good job he's doing, only to then struggle upon promotion as everybody eventually realises he's not cut out for it and it's finally time for him to go.

Or we continue to struggle and he's gone by October leaving whoever comes in after with a right job on to get us out of another mess without the luxury of a transfer window.

I disagree - once this season's over he'll have had 30 league games in charge, and none of them were against the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs. We've played a set of neebodies all bloody season man. Thirty games to pick up points against sine players ya've never heard of in ya life. Results should have been better.

I think it's the hardest time to manage us because of everything that's going on. He's got our highest paid player who seems determined not to play. An owner who doesn't speak to him. Potential takeover talks which have the capacity to distract. Players who think they're too good for us. Players who are still on good money but seem past it to the point where even Championship games pass them by. Having to sign players in desperation, hence the last minute purchasing of Camp and Fletcher. An inability to spend a single penny, with no signs of that improving due to a huge external loan that could threaten the whole club's existence. Injury problems to key players, often long term and making it nigh on impossible to pick his best side consistently; many of these injury prone players signed before he got here (and in one case just as one gets fit he decides to get pissed and crash his car). A fan base who are pissed off and in many cases staying away. A fragile squad who seem unable to get over their fear of playing at home. He's been landed with the worst collection of goalkeepers we've ever had (I realise he brought one in, much though he wasn't his first choice, but it still must be a nightmare trying to put a team out when you have so little confidence in those in goal).

Yes, he hasn't had to play top teams, but I'd say this is about the hardest time ever to manage the club, it's an absolute mess at present, it's failing in just about every aspect. He could certainly have done better, but I wouldn't be kicking him out yet when he's had no chance to get a side together and when he's trying to deal with all of the above. I wouldn't give him an eternity though, he needs results to come next season when he's got his own side together in a league where not spending doesn't give you an immediate disadvantage

I voted stay, hasn't really had a chance to mould the team the way he wants it. It's time to back a manager, get the players we need and work on tactics in training, it's going to take more time unfortunately. Sometimes you can hit the ground running but that's only when you've added a few players to a team you've had playing for years, we've been chopping and changing that many times can't keep up. News of a takeover will do me nicely for now, the sooner Short is out the door the better and it's on to rebuilding the club to where it should be.

The fact that we would struggle to get anyone else seems to be the main reason for most wanting him to stay. Even with the obvious constraints his 'acquisitions' have been appalling and his dogged reliance on Camp,Fletcher,Cattermole,Kone and O'Shea at the expense of the younger guys is worrying. The Rodwell situation will put massive constraints on his ability to get new players and therefore he will rely on the bulk of players we can't offload as I think the ones we can will be sold. I think after 2 months in league 1 most on here will be screaming for his head. Another tough season ahead

I don't think it's particularly wise to judge him on this season. However, The one thing that I do not want to happen at the end of the season is for a new manager to come in and have to assess the squad for himself. I want the shite out ASAP, I want someone to put some effort into hanging on to the ones worth keeping (Honeyman, Asoro, Maja, McNair) and someone who has a good idea what we need for next year. Coleman will have learned a lot over the last 6 months and I hope he can put it to use.

He's in a better position than anyone else we could bring in to achieve those goals and IMO his failures this season have been under some pretty chaotic circumstances and not been so terrible to warrant the boot.

I think it's the hardest time to manage us because of everything that's going on. He's got our highest paid player who seems determined not to play. An owner who doesn't speak to him. Potential takeover talks which have the capacity to distract. Players who think they're too good for us. Players who are still on good money but seem past it to the point where even Championship games pass them by. Having to sign players in desperation, hence the last minute purchasing of Camp and Fletcher. An inability to spend a single penny, with no signs of that improving due to a huge external loan that could threaten the whole club's existence. Injury problems to key players, often long term and making it nigh on impossible to pick his best side consistently; many of these injury prone players signed before he got here (and in one case just as one gets fit he decides to get pissed and crash his car). A fan base who are pissed off and in many cases staying away. A fragile squad who seem unable to get over their fear of playing at home. He's been landed with the worst collection of goalkeepers we've ever had (I realise he brought one in, much though he wasn't his first choice, but it still must be a nightmare trying to put a team out when you have so little confidence in those in goal).

Yes, he hasn't had to play top teams, but I'd say this is about the hardest time ever to manage the club, it's an absolute mess at present, it's failing in just about every aspect. He could certainly have done better, but I wouldn't be kicking him out yet when he's had no chance to get a side together and when he's trying to deal with all of the above. I wouldn't give him an eternity though, he needs results to come next season when he's got his own side together in a league where not spending doesn't give you an immediate disadvantage
Well articulated GG

Indifferent.

He has achieved nothing, seems to be meek in selection, has left the old guard insitu, and has 2 potential game changers constantly benched.

He also signed one of the worst keepers I have ever seen here, and spoke of grabban scoring unimportant goals.

He speaks well, but follows a long line of nowt.

He will join the line of "meh" if he leaves.

I think a lot depends on whether the owners agree to a plan to get a squad equipped for promotion. If Short stays and simply has cost cutting as his one goal and gets rid of anyone who we can sell - Asoro, McNair, McGeady etc. and then gives no financial backing to get a squad together then we will struggle regardless of whether its Coleman, Roy Keane or Guardiola in charge. If we have new owners or Short realises that the only way to turn this around is to back the manager's plan to get a decent squad together then we can do a Blackburn. As many on here has said we don't need to spend big but we do need to back the manager's vision for promotion.

Brilliantly put mate. Yet ppl say he hasn’t done enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back