Maja One Trick Pony

I’m baffled by some of the negativity around the lad.
He’s scoring goals that not many would score, his goal today was sublime, he’s got great talent in the box.
Even the thing he get’s criticised about his hold up play was good today.
I was a bit baffled with the substitution because if McGuire was brought on to replace Maja upfront he certainly didn’t play there.

I think he did more than "nowt" - he tracked back more than a few times which is worth it's weight in gold. He has improved his play outside the box, bu the problem is that his work inside the box is so slick that it makes his work outside the box look poor
The problem is he isn't given the ball to his feet in the 18 yard box nearly often enough.

The problem is he isn't given the ball to his feet in the 18 yard box nearly often enough.
True. But that isn't uncommon in football. Getting the ball to feet inside the opposition area isn't an easy thing to do. McGeady was outstanding in that respect today (despite having an average game by his standards)

I’m baffled by some of the negativity around the lad.
He’s scoring goals that not many would score, his goal today was sublime, he’s got great talent in the box.
Even the thing he get’s criticised about his hold up play was good today.
I was a bit baffled with the substitution because if McGuire was brought on to replace Maja upfront he certainly didn’t play there.

Goal today was class. When he got it I just thought it was a good pass but nowt would come of it at that angle, on his own and with 3 defenders around him. Sat one on their arse, left another dead and slotted it with ease in the far corner.

He just knows exactly what type of finish he needs in any situation and makes it look easy. Reminds me a lot of Defoe.

Think the sub was just to keep him fresh/not risk injury.

I think he did more than "nowt" - he tracked back more than a few times which is worth it's weight in gold. He has improved his play outside the box, bu the problem is that his work inside the box is so slick that it makes his work outside the box look poor
It was tongue in cheek mate. A dig at those in the crowd that moan and groan each time he doesn't flatten the big centre back even though he's only 19.

No goals, no assists, all season. Running about, and competing, to no end is not an asset. Something is only an asset if it has a positive contribution. Maja's 19 and you're suggesting he play more like a bloke who's more mature and doesn't score goals. Be f***ing patient and let the lad develop.
I think you underplay or don't understand the role of a lone man up top in the system Bristol played today.
I suggest only that Maja could learn something from his performance that's all. Stop being so defensive of a lad who does indeed have a lot to learn aside from how to put the ball in the back of the net from inside the box.

Last edited:
Imagine combining Maja's skill in the 18 yard box with ball at feet with the Bristol Rovers No.17 Jakubiak's ability to play the lone striker role. He was a torment to our back line all afternoon and showed us just what is missing from Maja's game, as if that was needed.
The difference being, you can put what Jakubiak has into Maja, you can’t put what Maja has into Jakubiak.

I think you underplay or don't understand the role of a lone man up top in the system Bristol played today.
I suggest only that Maja could learn something from his performance today that's all. Stop being so defensive of a lad who does indeed have a lot to learn aside from how to put the ball in the back of the net from inside the box.
I don't think you understand the basics of physiology. There's a reason there aren't loads of teenagers leading the line as lone strikers. Stop criticising him for not doing things that he's not physically mature enough to do, yet.

Back