Maja 100% commitment

Wardley Makem

Midfield
Sunderland Echo SAFC on Twitter

Great news!

Maja said: “I think this is one of the biggest seasons of my career because this is basically a starting point, I think.

“If I can stay in the team, stay fit, and start firing away it will be massive for me.”

When asked about his commitment to the cause, Maja added: “One hundred per cent this is where I want to be right now. I want to play football here, it’s the right option.

“As long as I keep working hard and pushing myself, I can do that.

“We’ve had a few hard years and difficult times but if we can come out the other side of it positive and with good energy, I think it will be great for the history of the club

I
want to impress the manager and show what I can do, but of course he wants to have good performances in the team,” added Maja.

“If that means I’m not in the team that’s his choice but hopefully I’m in the team at the start of the season and I can show what I can do.”

When asked about his early form, Maja said: “I don’t think I’ve performed to the best of my ability but I think fitness-wise I’ve got the most out of it and that’s the main thing.

“Hopefully, in the next couple of games I can start scoring a few goals.

“I’m a very harsh critic of myself and I’ve had chances to score which I haven’t taken. That happens in football but I have to stay confident.

“I’ve got to get back onto the training field and keep working hard.

We have to keep working hard in training and keep showing what we can do. Hopefully that gives us the confidence to perform during the season.”

He added: “Bali’s been more involved with us in training, whereas Saturday was Benji’s first game for us and he scored so that should give him confidence to show what he can do even more.

“As long as they both keep working hard I think they’ve got a chance to be in the team as well.”

Just his quotes, I’ve excluded the journo fluff.

Last edited:

the state of this board - how many people have said he isnt good enough and now that he has said he is 100% everyone is over the moan, absolutely ridiculous

I'll believe it when he actually signs a contract. Mind, not meaning to be negative, but imo he's got a lot to do to prove he's worth a place in the squad, definitely a huge season for him, really needs to show something

This, worth a pop with a new contract but if he hasn’t signed it by August he needs replacing in Jan window. I’m conscious that his commitment means no one is interested in him.

the state of this board - how many people have said he isnt good enough and now that he has said he is 100% everyone is over the moan, absolutely ridiculous
I can categorically say I've never slated the lad, in fact I thought he should've been given more game time last season ahead of Vaughan in particular. Think he's got a bit about him.

This, worth a pop with a new contract but if he hasn’t signed it by August he needs replacing in Jan window. I’m conscious that his commitment means no one is interested in him.

Exactly, being patient and working with him is fine if he is going to stay here. Currently I doubt he'd be a great benefit for the first team based on what we've seen thus far, so unless he shows his commitment by signing, I'd be unsure about giving him too many minutes. We can't be helping to progress someone who has every intention of f***ing off at the end of the season, if he signs then it's a different matter

Back