Maguire, thank you, honestly thank you

Definitely not the memory I have of him. Totally workshy and inconsistent.

Well when Maguire can get into euro and world cup squads, play in FA and league cup finals, score 2 goals away in Turkey in a Euro qualify, score in every round of the FA Cup bar the final, score a goal like this one v Chelsea for QPR beating 4 players running 50 yards all at a higher level than Maguire has ever played he can be considered on a similar level. The description you have of Byrne is easily applied to Maguire but one is comfortably better than the other.

50 secs
8 goals in 33 games for us. Other than the 1992 cup run he wouldn't have been remembered with any significance at all.

The only issue here is whether he is better than Maguire FFS :lol: If your arguing he wasn't you must be mental. He was only here a season or so - you can hardly say 'apart from his cup goals' they were brilliant and a hugely significant part of his time here.

Last edited:
Well when Maguire can get into euro and world cup squads, play in FA and league cup finals, score 2 goals away in Turkey in a Euro qualify, score in every round of the FA Cup bar the final, score a goal like this one v Chelsea for QPR beating 4 players running 50 yards all at a higher level than Maguire has ever played he can be considered on a similar level. The description you have of Byrne is easily applied to Maguire but one is comfortably better than the other.

50 secs

The only issue here is whether he is better than Maguire FFS :lol: If your arguing he wasn't you must be mental. He was only here a season or so - you can hardly say 'apart from his cup goals' they were brilliant and a hugely significant part of his time here.

I'm not saying he isn't better than Maguire but he wasn't the player that you are suggesting either.

I'm not saying he isn't better than Maguire but he wasn't the player that you are suggesting either.

What part of inconsistent, much better than Maguire, can perform against top quality of opposition on his day, played in two cup final, scored two goals away to Turkey in a crucial qualifier, scored in every round bar the final do you disagree with? That's literally all i've said. He got to a certain level, had the game to play higher but not the desire and consistency.

What part of inconsistent, much better than Maguire, can perform against top quality of opposition on his day, played in two cup final, scored two goals away to Turkey in a crucial qualifier, scored in every round bar the final do you disagree with? That's literally all i've said. He got to a certain level, had the game to play higher but not the desire and consistency.

Anyone can show a glimpse of real skill and ability every once in a while. The career that Byrne had suggests that he was just one of many players who fits this profile. You couldn't really say that it was a question of desire that he didn't want to play at the top level with big clubs. He just wasn't good enough ultimately.

Anyone can show a glimpse of real skill and ability every once in a while. The career that Byrne had suggests that he was just one of many players who fits this profile. You couldn't really say that it was a question of desire that he didn't want to play at the top level with big clubs. He just wasn't good enough ultimately.

Players can be not good enough for many different reasons and you are right he ultimately wasn’t. Byrne had the technique, first touch and movement to be a regular top flight player. He didn’t have the desire and didn’t care enough. Football wasn’t that important to him and if you don’t have that drive you won’t be good enough on a consistent basis. I disagree about the anyone can show glimpses, he did a lot more than that.

Last edited:
He’s a 21st century John Byrne.
By this I meant he’s an itinerant footballer. Byrne was a far better player but like Maguire only hung around long enough for people to realise he couldn’t do it week in week out. I’ve no problem with that tbh.
I have however got a problem with the cynical rush by those with a vested interest in creating cult figures to aid in transferring fans money into their own pockets.
Maguire - The King 😂 😂 😂

How stupid are those fuckas looking now
Depends if they sold all of their t shirts or not.

People get so angry on here. He has a class, well paid job but could do much better. Do the people slagging him off know that they would be any different in his position. Just asking for a drinking friend.

Back