Madness

Loved them as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. They looked like they were having a laugh, Suggs singing in his own accent, being a bit mad on stage, daft entertaining videos, introducing ska influence.
As a kid, they had a lot more appeal than a bunch of hairy, double denimed auld scruffs, who had never seen a bar of soap for weeks and their unsatisfying, terminal guitar solos.

Madness (The Specials, The Jam and The Selector, and the punk stuff) were a breath of fresh air. Learning to dance to them down the parochial hall disco, laughing at the 'heavies' when they stood in circles, head nodding and playing air guitar. Painting your haversack lid white, drawing on Madness and Two Tone symbols (and SAFC). Not really knowing what mods were, but liking the sound of it, Fred Perry and Harrington jackets. Great childhood memories. If they are still making a living after all these years, fair play to them.

Loved them as a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. They looked like they were having a laugh, Suggs singing in his own accent, being a bit mad on stage, daft entertaining videos, introducing ska influence.
As a kid, they had a lot more appeal than a bunch of hairy, double denimed auld scruffs, who had never seen a bar of soap for weeks and their unsatisfying, terminal guitar solos.

Madness (The Specials, The Jam and The Selector, and the punk stuff) were a breath of fresh air. Learning to dance to them down the parochial hall disco, laughing at the 'heavies' when they stood in circles, head nodding and playing air guitar. Painting your haversack lid white, drawing on Madness and Two Tone symbols (and SAFC). Not really knowing what mods were, but liking the sound of it, Fred Perry and Harrington jackets. Great childhood memories. If they are still making a living after all these years, fair play to them.
The op is prog rock fan who hated council estate kids were selling records in the.late 70s/ early 80s

As a bit of an experiment I looked up the current UK top 40 and picked a song at random. It was Birds In The Sky by NewEra. So I see a couple of young blokes walking or driving round Dubai, the point seems to be that they have a lot of money but they don't actually sing and the tune itself is this weird sort of AI voice that sounds vaguely Chinese.
I wasn't amused by the video nor did I find the song catchy in fact I couldn't hum it now.
I may try listening to some other stuff but I'm not impressed so far.

Seen Madness many times, best was Finsbury Park, also on the bill, Aswad, Ian Dury and the Block Heads, catatonia, The Buzzcocks, Toots and the Maytals, Dawn Penn.

Seen them many times since, they are on Gosforth Races later in the year, might go as I can walk along.

People saying his voice has gone, he was never a great singer, he kind of talks his way through a song, always has.

Seen Madness many times, best was Finsbury Park, also on the bill, Aswad, Ian Dury and the Block Heads, catatonia, The Buzzcocks, Toots and the Maytals, Dawn Penn.

Seen them many times since, they are on Gosforth Races later in the year, might go as I can walk along.

People saying his voice has gone, he was never a great singer, he kind of talks his way through a song, always has.
I saw them at Finsbury Park with Gallon Drunk, Flowered Up, Ian Dury and Morrissey. Some day out that was...

They've had a few absolute bangers Joe Joe, what type do they attract?

My old dad was a huge jazz fan and my grandparents used to let him go to gigs at the City hall when he was a kid. He was daft enough to let me go and watch bands like Madness when I was very young. First saw them in the late 70s, when I was far too young to be at gigs, with my "fuck art let's dance" T-shirt hidden under a jumper.

This one of my favourite ever tracks.

I hope you don't mind me repeating the backstory to the song. Kix Thompson's brother had a mixed race child, and his family were furious. Kix wrote down all of the shitty and spiteful things they said and turned them into the lyrics of the song. By doing so he took something awful into something somehow uplifting

My kids are mixed race, and thankfully they never went through what Kix's niece experienced, but they still had some rough times. Every time that happened I would think of that song.

I honestly believe it is as good as anything Ray Davies wrote. Truly brilliant.

I think that is why people have such an emotional attachment to them, they somehow connect with particular parts of the lives of ordinary people in a way few bands do. They have the genius of writing about ordinary stuff that few bands have.

First Madstock? I think mine was the second. The Charlatans were on too, forgot about them.
Yep. I went because I really liked Gallon Drunk and Ian Dury. They were both great, and Madness too obviously. But seeing Morrissey bottled off by angry skinheads when he unveiled his suedehead backdrop and started mincing about with a Union Jack was something else!

Yep. I went because I really liked Gallon Drunk and Ian Dury. They were both great, and Madness too obviously. But seeing Morrissey bottled off by angry skinheads when he unveiled his suedehead backdrop and started mincing about with a Union Jack was something else!
I just saw an advert in the paper for it, no idea who else would be on as it was pre internet so all the other bands were a bonus.

Spent the day drinking with a load of Newcastle and Millwall fans.

My old dad was a huge jazz fan and my grandparents used to let him go to gigs at the City hall when he was a kid. He was daft enough to let me go and watch bands like Madness when I was very young. First saw them in the late 70s, when I was far too young to be at gigs, with my "fuck art let's dance" T-shirt hidden under a jumper.

This one of my favourite ever tracks.

I hope you don't mind me repeating the backstory to the song. Kix Thompson's brother had a mixed race child, and his family were furious. Kix wrote down all of the shitty and spiteful things they said and turned them into the lyrics of the song. By doing so he took something awful into something somehow uplifting

My kids are mixed race, and thankfully they never went through what Kix's niece experienced, but they still had some rough times. Every time that happened I would think of that song.

I honestly believe it is as good as anything Ray Davies wrote. Truly brilliant.

I think that is why people have such an emotional attachment to them, they somehow connect with particular parts of the lives of ordinary people in a way few bands do. They have the genius of writing about ordinary stuff that few bands have.
Whilst not as good a song, our house just reminds me of growing up in the 80s like. Some class songs by them. Unreal the shite they churn out now 😂

Whilst not as good a song, our house just reminds me of growing up in the 80s like. Some class songs by them. Unreal the shite they churn out now 😂

They seem to manage 1 good song every 5 to 10 years. Last time I saw that was in Royal Festival Hall as part of Ray Davies "Meltdown". Full of 60+ skins drinking pints of red wine. Soon as they played something new everyone stampeded to the bogs. There was a tidal wave of skinhead piss that threatened to over flow the Thames Barrier.

Kix jumped off the stage and into the audience but was so fat he couldn't get back on stage again and had to be helped by the bouncers

Still a great gig.

They seem to manage 1 good song every 5 to 10 years. Last time I saw that was in Royal Festival Hall as part of Ray Davies "Meltdown". Full of 60+ skins drinking pints of red wine. Soon as they played something new everyone stampeded to the bogs. There was a tidal wave of skinhead piss that threatened to over flow the Thames Barrier.

Kix jumped off the stage and into the audience but was so fat he couldn't get back on stage again and had to be helped by the bouncers

Still a great gig.
Starting gigs with some of this shite is no good like. Killed the vibe stone dead in December.

Last edited:

Back