Mad Things that have happened at Sunderland since you’ve been supporting?

Signing Milton Nunez

John Hawley's 560 yard screamer (or it seems that way now)

You are right. That`s exactly like I remembered it. Strangely enough, if I`m ever in a meeting and daydreaming about scoring the winning goal in an FA Cup Final, it is always a "Hawley" type of goal that snatches it in the last second :D

Joe Bolton going a load of games without a booking (or at least for Joe) and then getting sent off on Boxing Day for hammering someone (think it was BD)

He may have been able to run about a lot but you could tell when he was hungover, gray was a good player with the ball at his feet then odd games he'd look like he'd never seen a football before.
I recall a period of time that he was getting pelters from the crowd. Awful performances.

And nothing happened post match, unreal

Fecking disgraceful. But i partly blame Reidy for hardly saying a word in his homeland. We should have threatened legal action.

For me, the last home game of a crucial relegation battle, which we could have been relegated after. Lost 3-2 to Chelsea, and whole stadium waited for mags result to come through (Boro's too). Both got relegated and the joy and dancing inside the stadium was surreal. Chelsea fans must have enjoyed it too. People doing the conga round the walkways. Probably the happiest i've ever left the ground after a defeat.

This is canny though ;)
Yes very good. I was introduced to Roker Park as a ten year old in 1957. I watched the team develop into eventual promotion favourites in 1961 after the signing of Clough. They played Liverpool, managed by Shankley in the first home league game of 1961-2. Liverpool had also been busy in the transfer market with Ian St John and Ron Yeats among their new recruits. We, as promotion favourites had lost to Walsall on the Saturday and we expected to turn Liverpool over. However, they absolutely outplayed us and despite a goal from Clough they beat us 4-1. I was convinced I had seen the promotion favourites and it wasn't us. We did well after that but it took three more years to win promotion, the loss of Clough cost us an awful lot. I loved that team, still my favourites but given the choice I would rather have had Shankley. After being stuck in the Second Division for a few years he got them up and much more than kept them there.

Last edited:
Yes very good. I was introduced to Roker Park as a ten year old in 1957. I watched the team develop into eventual promotion favourites in 1961 after the signing of Clough. They played Liverpool, managed by Shankley in the first home league game of 1961-2. Liverpool had also been busy in the transfer market with Ian St John and Ron Yeats among their new recruits. We, as promotion favourites had lost to Walsall on the Saturday and we expected to turn Liverpool over. However, they absolutely outplayed us and despite a goal from Clough they beat us 4-1. I was convinced I had seen the promotion favourites and it wasn't us. We did well after that but it took three more years to win promotion, the loss of Clough cost us an awful lot. I loved that team, still my favourites but given the choice I would rather have had Shankley. After being stuck in the Second Division for a few years he got them up and much more than kept them there.
Was at that game.
We were well beat.

It's a shame it didn't work out for him at Sunderland seemed to love the place.

Was at that game.
We were well beat.
Yes, I walked out of the Roke End in shock. I remember the music as we were leaving Elvis singing It's Now or Never, strange how little things stick in your mind. Liverpool were comfortable league winners we were never quite good enough. Gaining promotion with such a small forward line was a big disadvantage.
It's a shame it didn't work out for him at Sunderland seemed to love the place.
My dad was from Middlesbrough and I went through with him and went to the Middlesbrough - Brighton game with a cousin. The score was silly, 9-3 or 9 -5 to Boro, Clough got 5 goals. I was like a dog with two tails when we signed him. We always seem to shy away, for whatever reason, from real success, the directors are said to have thought that Shankley wasn't a gentleman. I suppose that's one way of putting it.

Last edited:
Yes, I walked out of the Roke End in shock. I remember the music as we were leaving Elvis singing It's Now or Never, strange how little things stick in your mind. Liverpool were comfortable league winners we were never quite good enough. Gaining promotion with such a small forward line was a big disadvantage.

My dad was from Middlesbrough and I went through with him and went to the Middlesbrough - Brighton game with a cousin. The score was silly, 9-3 or 9 -5 to Boro, Clough got 5 goals. I was like a dog with two tails when we signed him. We always seem to shy away, for whatever reason, from real success, the directors are said to have thought that Shankley wasn't a gentleman. I suppose that's one way of putting it.
How many chances have Sunderland thrown away over the years man :lol:

Constantly being out on the piss and it clearly affecting his performances really ruined his relationship with the fans.
Then turning up in his new ferrari after relegation, on the day that half the club staff were made redundant made him look like an utter bastard. (I get that he was probably just dead excited about it, and didn't think).

He didn't lose his rightful place as a cult figure / club legend by accident.
[/QUOTE]

I take you seen this with your own eyes, probably not, yer mates pal will have "seen" him. Its well documented that there was a "lad culture" in that squad with Alex Rae, Quinn, Philips and many more. Give me a team of lads that are in it together and after beating top premiership sides go out on the piss to celebrate any day of the week. Even if he was an out and out pisspot which I very much doubt, he was consistently the fittest player in the squad for years, and countless ex-players have vouched for that in numerous talk-ins. He explains the Ferrari incident in that Under the Cosh podcast.....its a good listen and gives you a bit more of an incite into the kind of player/professional he was.

Back