Mad Men

Watched it from series one right to series seven, one best show's of the 21st century so far for me, but that's just my own personal opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked it even though nowt much happens. They just nailed the period, the clothes, the attitudes, even the interior furnishings. Like SoS says, the women were shite and didn’t add much to the story. JJ is an absolutely shit actor.

I’ve been told a few times I look like Roger Sterling (I don’t!) - I reckon it’s the only reference yanks have for a bloke who wears three button suits but doesn’t have shiny black hair. I have commissioned a silver gray sharkskin suit recently like!

My Dad could have been a stand in for Don! Problies a few years older and in this pic dressed a bit more Roger-ish ...

Logon or register to see this image

Ps the best of all the bewers was Roger’s child bride. A real stunner and much easier on the eye than that pasty ginger barge arse or Peggy with her face like she’s sniffing shite

Last edited:
it never really lives up to its potential imo. Beautifully shot and there are some great characters but they don’t seem to know what to do with them. Loads of story lines just never go anywhere. It’s more like a soap with really high production values.

This. Starts off enjoyable but eventually becomes a chore to watch it. Just goes nowhere. Historically interesting and some good characters but just nothing happens.

By the time I got to the end of it on Netflix I was glad there wasn't any more. Turns out there was more according to this thread. Dunno if I can even be bothered to seek them out.

Last edited:
Class, depicts the times very well or at least what I could imagine mid 60's affluent America to be like, i kept trying to see if they tripped up continuity wise (a sad hobby of mine no matter what I watch!) but apart from a few isolated incidents they nailed it. Lasses are stunning anarl.....:cool:

Gets close to The Sopranos imo and that says it all.

Canny watch. The Mrs enjoyed it more than me TBF but I still made it until the end. By the same writers as Sopranos IIRC? Obviously very different...

I was ready for it to end by the 7th season or whatever. Felt like they had ran out of story.

This. Starts off enjoyable but eventually becomes a chore to watch it. Just goes nowhere. Historically interesting and some good characters but just nothing happens.

By the time I got to the end of it on Netflix I was glad there wasn't any more. Turns out there was more according to this thread. Dunno if I can even be bothered to seek them out.
I think @Hammer ’s comment that loads of story lines don’t go anywhere is a fair one like. I blame this on having a team of writers. Writer A submits a script that focuses on one topic or character, but next up is an episode written by writer B whose focus was on a different topic or character. Sometimes they never circle back to tie up what happened to Writer A’s plotline. The show runner Matthew Weiner (had a big role behind the scenes in the Sopranos) wrote the odd episode but was busy with so many other aspects of the show he threw the writing to a team so IMO in some ways lost control of the narrative story arc. Thus me and others saying nowt much happens and Hammer saying plot lines are just dropped is fair IMO. The earlier seasons were best, it was slow moving and lost its way a bit towards the end (main focus Don going on a meandering cross country sojourn) but the way the finale wrapped up was a great idea.

In that particular post I was referring to Roger who must have been about 50
Internet discussion estimates his yob as around 1915, possibly a couple of years earlier as he remembers the 1919 World Series in his acid trip.

Internet discussion estimates his yob as around 1915, possibly a couple of years earlier as he remembers the 1919 World Series in his acid trip.

He says in S2E12 he’s been married to Mona for 30 years, so I put him at 50 at the youngest.

He says in the same episode he never got his hands dirty in the Great Depression so either he married young or was in college in 1929.

Joan is the one I’d want to hang out the back of.

Megan Draper - the younger model he marries later on, played by Jessica Paré, is my favourite. Stunning.

I’m really not sure I’ve seen the last couple of series, nor do I care.

I enjoyed it for a while then it became an effort is spot on.

I couldn’t until now, have this craving to start smoking again , weird:confused:

I first started watching it when I was working in Germany and had nothing else to do in the evenings.

I changed my brand to Lucky Strike because of it :lol:

Last edited:
Thowt yay were mister Muscle and Fitness?
Didn’t knar you were a wick smerker like!

Used to be. And I still do smoke if I end up getting pissed, few and far between these days mind.

Never seem to want one until I’m about 7 pints deep, as in the thought makes me sick until around that level of drunkenness when it becomes the most appealing idea in the world.

Also if I’m in a noisy bar or club I’m way more inclined to want to stand outside where I can hear people and have a conversation. When that happens it’s inevitable.

Being in good shape and smoking aren’t mutually exclusive mind. I’m quite comfortable having a few tabs every 3 weeks or so in the knowledge that I do fairly intense exercise 4-6 days a week and am likely in better condition than the people saying “Ohhhh smowwwking is bad!” Overall it’s probably less harmful than living in London, for example.

Obviously if I was smoking 20 a day or summat I’d agree it was a big deal.

Used to be. And I still do smoke if I end up getting pissed, few and far between these days mind.

Never seem to want one until I’m about 7 pints deep, as in the thought makes me sick until around that level of drunkenness when it becomes the most appealing idea in the world.

Also if I’m in a noisy bar or club I’m way more inclined to want to stand outside where I can hear people and have a conversation. When that happens it’s inevitable.

Being in good shape and smoking aren’t mutually exclusive mind. I’m quite comfortable having a few tabs every 3 weeks or so in the knowledge that I do fairly intense exercise 4-6 days a week and am likely in better condition than the people saying “Ohhhh smowwwking is bad!” Overall it’s probably less harmful than living in London, for example.

While having a few tabs won’t damage your lungs the way a two pack a day habit will, there’s absolutely no way to accurately quantify how many or how few tabs it takes to activate a genetic predisposition to cancer. Good luck living in denial like. Lucky for the likes of you there are the likes of me working towards a cure for cancer but you would sure as shit make our lives easier if you packed them in! Jus’ sayin’;)

Oh absolutely

But I’ve a thing for red head Irish (well Irish American) girls with large breasts

Baffles me what people see in her.
Cartoon melons, pasty skin, big broad square arse, ginger, smells of wee ... each to his own. Roger’s second missus for comparison ...

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Back