Mackday meldrew

AC Mack

Striker
A throwback to the halcyon days of early January! It was like the Lincoln and Wycombe performances all over again. A complete first half display followed by a professional second half after Rochdale had meekly surrendered. I thought we might see a few changes tonight, but as it transpired we were allowed a 45 minute training session and the players shouldn't be too worse for wear.

Player ratings

McLaughlin - nothing much to do at all. Palmed away a long distance shot, closer down Rochdale's striker from their only chance, distribution okay. 6.5.

Willis - strolled through the game. A few sprints aside he wasn't really tested. 7.5

Wright - very composed at the heart of defense and even his distribution looks canny. 7.5

Flanagan - a bit erratic at times, mostly with his first touch and passing. He made some aggressive interceptions, and in contrast to what I said above, he did find Hume time and again to set us away down the left. 7.

O'Nien - best game in a while. He linked up really well with others in the first half (especially Maguire), and Rochdale couldn't handle his flank at all. I'm not even sure where their left back was, in fairness. 8.

Hume - made some lovely marauding runs down his flank, which offered another outlet. Unfortunately his crossing or final ball was woeful and he looks to be a bit bereft of confidence when delivering at the moment. It's where our attacks broke down a number of times. Keep it simple Denver. 6.

Power - sprayed the ball around like an old George Dobson at times. He really helped dictate the tempo and helped with the pressing. 7.5.

Dobson - continued where he left off with an excellent range of passing and being generally busy. As above, our central midfield really took control at times tonight by getting us on the front foot. 7.5.

Maguire - ran them ragged first half with his movement, link up play and harassing thanks to our high line of engagement. Final ball was hit and miss as he often failed to look up. 8.

Gooch - a constant menace both on and off the ball. Two well deserved goals and he'll be giving some of the Rochdale defenders nightmares tonight. We must get the ball to him as often as possible. 8.

Wyke - helped the others in leading the line and generally put himself about well. 7.

A quick mention to Semenyo who showed some neat touches and a turn of pace in his cameo.

Parkinson - spot on again. He has a clear strongest XI (just about at least), has us playing with a clear formation and system, and the instructions are clear. Isn't football easy when everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet? Our high line of engagement and intense pressing meant we dominated the first half, as we overturned possession in their half time and again and they had no answer. That's what's you need to do to poor sides.

Rochdale - they'd given up before coming out for the second half, so they don't deserve any further comment. It's a shame because they played some good football at their place.

Ref - good. Barely had to get involved, a penalty shout or two aside. It still didn't stop a couple of our neanderthal fans getting a few boos in here or there. Absolutely bizarre really.

Crowd - cold.

disagree with Wyke. i feel like we are doing reasonably well despite of him. really want to like the lad, seems to have his heart in the right place, but for me its just another game that passes him by. genuinely think we would be serious contenders for top 2 if we had a busy, more technical player in there. probably the most important singular position in this formation, and for me he is still the weak link in the team. a good striker would have had a riot with that defence today

disagree with Wyke. i feel like we are doing reasonably well despite of him. really want to like the lad, seems to have his heart in the right place, but for me its just another game that passes him by. genuinely think we would be serious contenders for top 2 if we had a busy, more technical player in there. probably the most important singular position in this formation, and for me he is still the weak link in the team. a good striker would have had a riot with that defence today

That's why I just said he helped others. I'm not saying he's integral to our play or anything, far from it. He isn't really hindering our attacks, which is something.

Pretty much how i saw it mark for mark though I'd maybe have dropped wykes a little bit. Works hard but I feel like you could put any league one journeyman target man in there and get at least the same result. Didnt really impact the game or ever look like scoring (tin hat on).

R.e. the ref I thought he had a really good game and didnt hear anyone have a pop at any time. Special shout out for him booking henderson for his reaction and not bailey wright for being the other party (usually at this level both either get let off or booked as a pair regardless) and for him enforcing the foul throw rule which is something that has caused a few blood vessels in my head to pop in previous games (even if it was against our own player when one is finally given!)

Wyke pressed well at times and looks strong, its a shame a lot of his play is back to goal but if its bringing the likes of Gooch and Maguire into play then its hard to complain too much, although a prolific goalscorer would seem to be the missing peice of the jigsaw.

Still, I think Wyke is a lot more agile than Lafferty, I think that lad struggles a lot more than Wyke when playing as the lone forward....him and Wyke did look quite the a handful when played together like.

Back