Mackday meldrew

It was a 100% not a back pass. I was watching with my son and he shouted for it. I told him it's only a back pass from the foot.

Googled it before I posted on here just in case but it only confirmed what I said.

I was in a similar position last night with loads around me screaming for it. I didn't want to say much because I wasn't 100%, probably due to so many people being adamant it should have been a free kick.
:lol: What's the point in that when all they do is get the ball to him and he loses the ball?

If you think all McGeady does is lose the ball then this is a moot discussion :lol:

Last edited:
I've said before that McGeouch can't play in a midfield two unless he adapts his game, and I've also thought it might be a similar case for Leadbitter although he's proving that wrong in the past couple of games.

One thing we definitely don't want to be doing though is playing Leadbitter and McGeouch as a midfield two. There was far too much space in midfield after Power went off because neither of the other two cover the same sort of ground he does. Dobson or O'Nien are the more natural alternatives to Power.

In fairness to Ross, if there's one time you are going to play McGeouch and Leadbitter as a two it would be in the closing stages of a game when looking to see out a win. It's just a bit too defensive though and that's a risk.

We did that last night and it made us too defensive and invited Rochdale on. 5 in midfield would have been defensive but it might have won us more ball. A 2 of Leadbitter and McGeouch was a poor mistake and was lucky not to cost us.

Came off his thigh mate the rules state its not designated a back pass, not saying I agree but the ref was correct with his decision. My boy just passed his refereeing badge, it was a question on the exam
Fair dos.
Canny write up. We were lucky to win last night.

Rochdale missed a couple of sitters late on. We went far to defensive mostly down to Ross's negative substitution of Power for McGeouch.

It was his thigh and that isn't a back pass infringement. A back pass that can't be handled is only from the foot.
He was still shite though ;)

Last edited:
I was in a similar position last night with loads around me screaming for it. I didn't want to say much because I wasn't 100%, probably due to so many people being adamant it should have been a free kick.

If you think all McGeady does is lose the ball then this is a moot discussion :lol:
I don't. But he does lose the ball, and he did lose the ball a lot last night. Massively wasteful. Hence my comment on him not being at all reliable. At one point he even tried dinking a simple 5 yard pass, which was duly intercepted, then a few seconds later their player dinked one showing him how it should be done.

It's McGeady to a tee though. Ya might get that one moment of real quality every other game or so, like his goal last night, and the rest of the time he's frustrating the life out of ya.

I've said before that McGeouch can't play in a midfield two unless he adapts his game, and I've also thought it might be a similar case for Leadbitter although he's proving that wrong in the past couple of games.

One thing we definitely don't want to be doing though is playing Leadbitter and McGeouch as a midfield two. There was far too much space in midfield after Power went off because neither of the other two cover the same sort of ground he does. Dobson or O'Nien are the more natural alternatives to Power.

In fairness to Ross, if there's one time you are going to play McGeouch and Leadbitter as a two it would be in the closing stages of a game when looking to see out a win. It's just a bit too defensive though and that's a risk.
They sit too deep and invite pressure on. We were lucky last night.

I don't. But he does lose the ball, and he did lose the ball a lot last night. Massively wasteful. Hence my comment on him not being at all reliable. At one point he even tried dinking a simple 5 yard pass, which was duly intercepted, then a few seconds later their player dinked one showing him how it should be done.

It's McGeady to a tee though. Ya might get that one moment of real quality every other game or so, like his goal last night, and the rest of the time he's frustrating the life out of ya.

Yes and my point is, even when he's not playing well, the opposition are scared stiff of him and doubling up. Which gives us more space and options.

Totally agree with all that. Said the same last night and nearly got publically flogged for it. Thought he was very wasteful last night, particularly second half. Had 2 or 3 cracking situations that he fucked up. When he normally wouldn't. He sets such a high standard normally that when he does have a slight off night, it's more noticeable.

Number 41 Mathieson I think his name is.. canny player was sat watching them warm up and I thought he was only about 14. He did well against 'bigger lads'. Their number 7 played a cracking game.

The linesman had a clear view of that.. as did I.. right in line with the bloody thing. Agree with some of the 'curious' referee decisions. I have to be honest, thought a draw would have been a fair result for Rochdale thought they played extremely well

Yeah I thought their no. 7 was the oil in the engine.

Power - he's a good combination with Leadbitter in the sense that he gets further up the pitch and can defend that area better. When McGeouch replaced him there was more space in the centre of midfield to attack because both our midfielders were holding. Power didn't have too much influence tonight but was steady. 6.5.

We got overran in midfield all first half with Power and Leadbitter. Their centre midfielder scored a goal from twenty yards out with Leadbitter and Power nowhere near him.

It's not really true at all what you said is it?

@GordonMuchallNo1Fan copyright infringement

Apologies.
We got overran in midfield all first half with Power and Leadbitter. Their centre midfielder scored a goal from twenty yards out with Leadbitter and Power nowhere near him.

It's not really true at all what you said is it?

Their goal came directly from the flank, not the centre of midfield. It's not always the fault of the person who might have been marking the goalscorer, you know. Not to mention it was an attacker who scored, not a central midfielder.

Quite how you're attributing the blame for their goal to Power and Leadbitter I'm really not sure.

Last edited:

Back