Mackday meldrew

Player ratings:
McLaughlin - solid as always and made a couple of important saves. He's vital to our hopes of doing well, you feel. He takes the pressure off with crosses, distribution is reasonably good and as I say can be relied upon to make a few saves when needed. 7.5.

Thought he could have done a lot better with the goal mind.

Agree with comments on the midfield, Wyke and Grigg.

Don't think McGeady was a reliable outlet at all - one way or another lost the ball more often than not.

Thought O'Nien was poor defensively.

Last edited:

Fair assessment from where I was standing. I think last season we'd have ended up drawing that match at best, so from that standpoint, it's an improvement. Like you, I was impressed, and a bit surprised, with Rochdale. And the female linesman did get an easy ride, probably because she was easily the most competent of the three officials. I think you're far too generous to the ref; his second half performance was dire.

Agree. Twice in a few days weve came unscathed from a nervy last ten minutes. You can argue we shouldnt have these slender leads but we look more capable of hanging onto them.

Very confident we’ll be fine this season. Like last I want to fecking batter a side though.

The Ref: 1 out of 10.
Purely for letting that backpass off the lads knee go unpunished in the second half. Honestly man, what the actual fuck!

Canny write up. We were lucky to win last night.

Rochdale missed a couple of sitters late on. We went far to defensive mostly down to Ross's negative substitution of Power for McGeouch.

Purely for letting that backpass off the lads knee go unpunished in the second half. Honestly man, what the actual fuck!

It was his thigh and that isn't a back pass infringement. A back pass that can't be handled is only from the foot.

Last edited:
Came off his thigh mate the rules state its not designated a back pass, not saying I agree but the ref was correct with his decision. My boy just passed his refereeing badge, it was a question on the exam

Don't think McGeady was a reliable outlet at all - one way or another lost the ball more often than not.

He was mate, but Gooch gave him no cover, at least a couple of times including the goal the full back and winger got 2 on 1 with O'Nein. Right in front of me. In the end Power was having to cover. You know you have a problem when Maguire is having to play wide right to help the full back out. Poor lad got clattered a few times again as well

McGeady might have lost the ball a bit but they were doubling up on him quite a lot, which frees up space for other players.
ok.. I thought he flicked it up with his foot first before the knee (may be mistaken).. still a breech of the rule no?

He didn't.
I'm beginning to like these reports. Don't tell Mack though

Who said that?

Can we get some clarification on this? I thought a knee was fine.

Last edited:
McGeady might have lost the ball a bit but they were doubling up on him quite a lot, which frees up space for other players.

He didn't.

Who said that?

Can we get some clarification on this? I thought a knee was fine.

It was a 100% not a back pass. I was watching with my son and he shouted for it. I told him it's only a back pass from the foot.

Googled it before I posted on here just in case but it only confirmed what I said.

Canny write up. We were lucky to win last night.

Rochdale missed a couple of sitters late on. We went far to defensive mostly down to Ross's negative substitution of Power for McGeouch.

It was his thigh and that isn't a back pass infringement. A back pass that can't be handled is only from the foot.

I've said before that McGeouch can't play in a midfield two unless he adapts his game, and I've also thought it might be a similar case for Leadbitter although he's proving that wrong in the past couple of games.

One thing we definitely don't want to be doing though is playing Leadbitter and McGeouch as a midfield two. There was far too much space in midfield after Power went off because neither of the other two cover the same sort of ground he does. Dobson or O'Nien are the more natural alternatives to Power.

In fairness to Ross, if there's one time you are going to play McGeouch and Leadbitter as a two it would be in the closing stages of a game when looking to see out a win. It's just a bit too defensive though and that's a risk.

Back