Mackday Meldrew - Crewe Alexandra

We lost points on Peterborough and Hull. Everyone else dropped points. Two is not "many" in my book.
We lost points in the game. Should have had 3 points from that fixture. Therefore are 2 points less than we should be.
Can't really blame him for yesterday. We had nobody getting down the flanks all game. The service to him was the worst it has been. He has proved that if you put it on a plate, then he will do the business. When he did receive the ball he'd often had to drop deep and was back to goal and he laid it off well enough.

I've been a big critic of his when he appeared to be lazy, weak and uninterested, but lately but for him and McGeady we'd be where our general play deserves to be, mid table at best.
You get his only role isnt to win a header after McGeady puts it on a plate right? How does the ball generally get to the flanks? More often than not it’s passed to them by other players, such as your striker, linking play up and allowing that pass to be made
Mandaron showed how to play number 9 role perfectly.
Exactly this. Rather than standing there like a plank he was back linking play and setting them up to cut us apart
He's also only scored 9 compared to Wyke's 23.
Yet his team have scored basically the same amount of goals total as we have this season. Almost as if scoring goals isn’t the only role of a striker

Last edited:
We lost points in the game. Should have had 3 points from that fixture. Therefore are 2 points less than we should be.

You get his only role isnt to win a header after McGeady puts it on a plate right? How does the ball generally get to the flanks? More often than not it’s passed to them by other players, such as your striker, linking play up and allowing that pass to be made

Exactly this. Rather than standing there like a plank he was back linking play and setting them up to cut us apart

Yet his team have scored basically the same amount of goals total as we have this season. Almost as if scoring goals isn’t the only role of a striker
And Wyke has indeed been linking up play as well as scoring in the past month or 2. You can't deny he has been transformed recently surely?

And Wyke has indeed been linking up play as well as scoring in the past month or 2. You can't deny he has been transformed recently surely?
His scoring has. His link up play has been just as shit as always. And his link up or lack thereof yesterday pressurised the rest of the team massively. Only have to compare him to mandron yesterday to see the difference

Perfect summary. In answer to the how can we cope without Leabitter, I think we did a few weeks back when we blew Donny away in the first half with a midfield that had legs and hunger to press. Yesterday I feel the game would have went similar because they were pressing us at every given opportunity.

He is undoubtable calm under pressure and sometimes he is able to slow the game down for us, in my opinion and I have said it before, while we are having to rely on him we are going nowhere. Shame the centre halves got injured in the next game and we weren't able to see the same midfield again.

I actually thought bringing Leadbitter on in a game we were chasing was a strange decision. Winchester, on his actual showing yesterday, probably should have been the choice as he was able to get involved at both ends of the pitch.

Jones was superb, it's how Gooch should be playing, having a real go at the full back relentlessly.

If scoring goals isn't the only role of a striker (well done, why did nobody else think of this), why do you continue to become embroiled in debates about how many goals Wyke has scored and will score before the end of the season?

If scoring goals isn't the only role of a striker (well done, why did nobody else think of this), why do you continue to become embroiled in debates about how many goals Wyke has scored and will score before the end of the season?

he just hates wyke for some reason

still pining after the mag tramp

Perfect summary. In answer to the how can we cope without Leabitter, I think we did a few weeks back when we blew Donny away in the first half with a midfield that had legs and hunger to press. Yesterday I feel the game would have went similar because they were pressing us at every given opportunity.

He is undoubtable calm under pressure and sometimes he is able to slow the game down for us, in my opinion and I have said it before, while we are having to rely on him we are going nowhere. Shame the centre halves got injured in the next game and we weren't able to see the same midfield again.

I actually thought bringing Leadbitter on in a game we were chasing was a strange decision. Winchester, on his actual showing yesterday, probably should have been the choice as he was able to get involved at both ends of the pitch.

Jones was superb, it's how Gooch should be playing, having a real go at the full back relentlessly.

Leadbitter allows others to get forward more without exposing us, would be the reason I'd suggest for him coming on when we're struggling.

Hopefully our defensive issues won't hamper us seeing a midfield three like the one against Doncaster.

Why do you deflect with irrelevant questions when you cannot counter argue anything? Wyke won’t score 25 league goals this season. Made all the more of a problem when he contributes nothing outside of goal scoring

Wyke 0.30 goals per attempt
Mandron 0.13 goals per attempt

Wyke > 50% attempts on target
Mandron < 50% attempts on target

Wyke 0.59 goals per shot on target
Mandron 0.26 goals per shot on target

Wyke 18 goals
Mandron 6 goals

Wyke 2 assists
Mandron 3 assists

Wyke 0.87 goals + assists per 90
Mandron 0.38 goals + assists per 90

Wyke team goal difference when on the pitch = +21
Mandron team goal difference when on the pitch = +9

Wyke unsuccessful touches per 90 = 2.1
Mandron unsuccessful touches per 90 = 3

Wyke dispossessions per 90 = 1
Mandron dispossessions per 90 =1.3

Wyke pass success = 68.5%
Mandron pass success = 70.7%

Wyke average passes = 18.6
Mandron average passes = 19

Wyke key passes per 90 = 0.8
Mandron key passes per 90 = 1

Wyke aerial challenges per 90 = 9.6
Mandron aerial challenges per 90 = 8.7

Wyke aerial challenge win ratio = 47. 9%
Mandron aerial challenge win ratio = 43.7%

Last edited:

Looking at Jones record ,Gooch would always score more

Wyke 0.30 goals per attempt
Mandron 0.13 goals per attempt

Wyke > 50% attempts on target
Mandron < 50% attempts on target

Wyke 0.59 goals per shot on target
Mandron 0.26 goals per shot on target

Wyke 18 goals
Mandron 6 goals

Wyke 2 assists
Mandron 3 assists

Wyke 0.87 goals + assists per 90