Macclesfield Town

don't get the Bale comparisons or the Aubameyang comment.

It's like saying It's disgusting McDonalds make billions of ££s a year but Debs Cafe has shut, each are businesses, one is ran well, one wasn't and neither is responsible for the other.

Why? This winding-up order was on its 13th amendment, and has been rumbling on for over a year. The current owner has been a director since 2003. Can't see any responsibility for Macclesfield's demise beyond incompetent management.

Yet they stayed up this season and the EFL decided to still relegate them after the season was concluded.

I’m not taking blame away from the incompetence of Macclesfield’s management I just thought it was convenient they managed to get them out the league so it wasn’t their problem.

Yet they stayed up this season and the EFL decided to still relegate them after the season was concluded.

I’m not taking blame away from the incompetence of Macclesfield’s management I just thought it was convenient they managed to get them out the league so it wasn’t their problem.

They were docked for non-payment of wages. The Conference has no difficult decision to make here, and nor would the EFL if they had stayed up; Macclesfield Town Football Club Limited ceased to exist as a trading entity the moment the judge approved the order. No question of time to find a buyer, or questions of ability to play matches - all employees lost their jobs immediately. The only thing that remains is for a liquidator to raise whatever he can from their assets. looking at the last accounts, that won't be a lot.

They were docked for non-payment of wages. The Conference has no difficult decision to make here, and nor would the EFL if they had stayed up; Macclesfield Town Football Club Limited ceased to exist as a trading entity the moment the judge approved the order. No question of time to find a buyer, or questions of ability to play matches - all employees lost their jobs immediately. The only thing that remains is for a liquidator to raise whatever he can from their assets. looking at the last accounts, that won't be a lot.

My misunderstanding of it - read your post and asked my Macclesfield supporting friends and see your point. Thank you!

Gutted to hear that.

Went to Macclesfield v Slough Town in the Conference 5 seasons in a row in the 1990's. There were some really good pubs there, our favourite one was The Lord Byrron which apparently is still there.

We met a few Macc lads who we became friends with and used to always have a good drink with. Feel sorry for them and hope they can get a phoenix club going and start their way back.

I see they owed Campbell £173k (I'm not saying he should have waived it), that's an incredible amount for a club in the financial trouble they were already in to pay a manager who was there for 10 months. Or am I out of touch and lots of league 2 managers are on £4k per week?
Sounds as if he was on more than 4lk a week. He was owed 173k. Gonna assumed he received some wages while he was there.

I work with a Macclesfield fan, one who drives a fair distance for home games.
He has had worries regarding this owner for a very long time.
The Fit and Proper owner test once again fails miserably and once again the Supporters lose out. Tragic for a decent club. Been to their ground a fair few times and their fans always friendly and welcoming, even allowed in their bar overlooking the pitch one Friday night game.
Simply stopped by a steward and invited up. Another decent club to the wall,

Sounds as if he was on more than 4lk a week. He was owed 173k. Gonna assumed he received some wages while he was there.

Looking at the accounts they filed for 18/19, they appear to have lost £600k that season (it's hard to be precise, because they filed small company accounts with no profit and loss account). That's an awful lot for a club with such a low asset base.
I work with a Macclesfield fan, one who drives a fair distance for home games.
He has had worries regarding this owner for a very long time.
The Fit and Proper owner test once again fails miserably and once again the Supporters lose out. Tragic for a decent club. Been to their ground a fair few times and their fans always friendly and welcoming, even allowed in their bar overlooking the pitch one Friday night game.
Simply stopped by a steward and invited up. Another decent club to the wall,

The owner had been a director since 2003, long before the test was established.

Last edited:
Clear now that we'll not have fans this year, and very restricted attendances at best for the rest of the season. Some clubs surely won't survive that in the lower leagues without the TV money higher up.

Gutted to hear that.

Went to Macclesfield v Slough Town in the Conference 5 seasons in a row in the 1990's. There were some really good pubs there, our favourite one was The Lord Byrron which apparently is still there.

We met a few Macc lads who we became friends with and used to always have a good drink with. Feel sorry for them and hope they can get a phoenix club going and start their way back.

The Lord Byron is still there. I used to live round the corner on Pitt Street.

I find it difficult to agree its a good pub mind :lol:

Why? What PEA got to do with Macclesfield apart from participating in the same sport? Is he unable to manage his finances too?

If you have to ask then clearly you don’t see the point I am making.

But as I am the type I will elaborate. Aubameyang’s new £55m contract is one perfect reminder of the massive universe sized gap between the Premiership and the rest. How little in the way of money you find the lower down the league pyramid you go. The lower you get the less there is. You know the Premiership is overwhelmed with money when you can half a number SEVEN times and that resulting sum still would take a lower league club or a non league club so far. Do that to £55m and you get £1.7m. What would that have even have meant to Macclesfield.

A good yardstick of how much the Premiership takes all the money is to start with what the average player earns just getting out of bed and asking how far that goes in the lower leagues and National League and go from there.

It certainly puts things in context though

Exactly my point.

I see Southend are also in trouble

And how much that is also Sol Campbells wages?
They will struggle to pay their HMRC owings
The Lord Byron is still there. I used to live round the corner on Pitt Street.

I find it difficult to agree its a good pub mind :lol:
There was nothing remotely near the ground last time I went

Back