M1 &M25 Speed Cameras going live today

The 10% deviation is apparently a myth... so Im told by a constable of the road

Car speedos read approx 10% above actual road speed, it’s to stop car manufacturers getting sued by people who get caught speeding.
The camera speeds are accurate as it is worked out using the speed/distance/time triangle. Similarly any in car vascar type device uses the same method.

For any one driving south I've just been reliably informed that these live speed cameras are going fully active today.. motorway limit 70 mph but these cameras are set at 72 mph with an automatic 6 points penalty sent out. If your caught doing 90 mph and its automatic ban.....

for info ......
Copper told me it was 10% + 2 mph the cameras were set at.

I always change my number plates before heading down to the smoke.

Go as fast as I like and avoid the congestion charge.

Change them at Hemel Hempstead - there and back.

Mine's not.

They're fking idiots
I see your point. I'm congratulating the skill, not the act itself.

Car speedos read approx 10% above actual road speed, it’s to stop car manufacturers getting sued by people who get caught speeding.
The camera speeds are accurate as it is worked out using the speed/distance/time triangle. Similarly any in car vascar type device uses the same method.
Do you have calibration certs for all your guns? I imagine you these days you would and the ‘old ask for them as a form of defence’ is probably bollocks.

Do you have calibration certs for all your guns? I imagine you these days you would and the ‘old ask for them as a form of defence’ is probably bollocks.

They are calibrated yeah, the old myth was asking if it has been calibrated that day which it didn’t have to be, only checked for functionality I think was the term.
Sure there is case law saying that so long as the device shows it is within calibration electronically, like breathalysers, then it is deemed to be correctly calibrated.

No, not really. But what are you going to react to? If the car fails then you’re probably screwed at anything over 70. I did that at night on an straight, empty motorway. Dufficer can probably give you more insight into doing it in traffic.

And any excuse to post this again

I know that fines can be higher on motorways, but 6 points for going 3mph over the 70 is completely unbelievable.
It's also bollocks

A common misconception.

It's actually court for anything 96mph+

Source: police officer bollocking me in his back seat for driving far too fast a few years back
I was under the illusion it's speed limit plus 30 means a ban.

Last edited:
That might be the limit then, 79.

Anyone been done for less?

Every force is independent in what their level of tolerance is, with some having 10% and some having 10%+2mph.

It’s guidance, not law, and I’m sure police officers can issue a speeding ticket for less than the tolerance if it’s justified by their own force’s policy

@duff_man

Well it obviously isn't if she got done. Safest thing is not to speed, or don't whinge if you do and get caught. I got done for 106 years back and took it on the chin.
This.

On a related note I just drove from Switzerland to the UK and back and have to say the standard of driving in the UK is appaling. It hurts me to say it but the French motorway driving is miles better than the average Brit. Maybe if the standard was better the speed limits could be raised to 80 - like France.

Back