M1 &M25 Speed Cameras going live today

Nah, brother got caught at 106mph at 2am in the morning driving back from barracks. Didn't even go to court. 6 points

If it's a real person they can use discretion.
I was in triple figures and got a monster telling-off and written up at 95mph for 3points and a fine.

Learned my lesson and all that.

When is this money grabbing madness going to end? Why don’t they just go the whole hog and limit all cars to the speed limit automatically?
They are going the whole hog..... the A1 is notorious for camera's - I got done at 73mph in July and a speed awareness course so I don't believe they are allowing any deviation. Done a lot of driving up and down the country recently and its true there are tons of new camera's along the new 4 lanes stretches.
Sounds bollocks to me, they'd be no cars on the road shortly if everyone doing 72mph got points. Aside from the massive amount of admin it would cause, they couldn't cope with it.

It's not bollocks mate and you can bet your bottom dollar that their admin system is ready to accept all our money.

I’ll never understand those people who stick rigidly to 70 mph all the way down the motorway but fail to understand that a variable speed camera zone or average speed check zone where it’s reduced to 50 or 60 is where you most likely get a ticket. And then sail through those above the limit.

Usually works out that you overtake them on the main motorway, they go past you in the average speed check, then as soon as it clears you overtake them and never see them again. Getting to the destination quicker but less likely to have got a ticket.

It’s like they don’t understand that’s it’s more stupid to continue doing 70 in a 50 average speed check then doing 85 on the rest of the motorway Where there are no cameras and limited chance of getting caught by a car :lol:

i thought there was a 10% leeway?

There is. It isn’t enshrined in law and police officers don’t have to obey it but I believe most forces give at least 10% and some 10% + 2.

do the insurance companies fit "black boxes" for young'ins these days that do something like that?

They do. You can still speed but go over and they say they will penalise you. Had one for my first year of driving. It was reasonably lenient but hammered me for driving a lot at night. Despite no accidents, no speeding, no points, etc they wanted to double my premium.

Last edited:
There is. It isn’t enshrined in law and police officers don’t have to obey it but I believe most forces give at least 10% and some 10% + 2.

They do. You can still speed but go over and they say they will penalise you. Had one for my first year of driving. It was reasonably lenient but hammered me for driving a lot at night. Despite no accidents, no speeding, no points, etc they wanted to double my premium.

What am I missing here and why is night time driving such a big deal?

What am I missing here and why is night time driving such a big deal?

Inexperienced drivers must be disproportionately likely to have accidents at night time, so when you drive between 9pm
And 5am on the policy I had, you lost points, and it impacted your average score at the end of the policy

I had something like

Speed 95
Acceleration 90
Braking 30 (???)
Night driving 0

So my average score was proper low. What they have against my braking I do not know :lol:

Inexperienced drivers must be disproportionately likely to have accidents at night time, so when you drive between 9pm
And 5am on the policy I had, you lost points, and it impacted your average score at the end of the policy

I had something like

Speed 95
Acceleration 90
Braking 30 (???)
Night driving 0

So my average score was proper low. What they have against my braking I do not know :lol:

I see - thanks a lot for the explanation. f***ing glad I didn't bother with the black box when I passed like.

do the insurance companies fit "black boxes" for young'ins these days that do something like that?
I was thinking more of the limiters they put in vans to keep them below 60. Or the ones German car makers put in to limit them to 155 :evil:

The first year my policy was £500 or something, was very cheap so was happy to take it. I pay more than that now with three years no claims though!
No claims bonus seems to be a load of shit nowadays anyway. You might have full protected no claims, but they’ll still put your premium up citing rising costs.

Back