M1 &M25 Speed Cameras going live today

Discussion in 'SMB' started by molthemackem, Jan 9, 2019.

1. mackembulldog

mackembulldog Winger

The 10% deviation is apparently a myth... so Im told by a constable of the road

2. duff_man

duff_man Striker

Car speedos read approx 10% above actual road speed, it’s to stop car manufacturers getting sued by people who get caught speeding.
    The camera speeds are accurate as it is worked out using the speed/distance/time triangle. Similarly any in car vascar type device uses the same method.

3. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

Copper told me it was 10% + 2 mph the cameras were set at.

4. The Lonious Monk

The Lonious Monk Midfield

I see your point. I'm congratulating the skill, not the act itself.

5. Depends on the force but that must mpply to most. Humberside even put it in writing when they nicked me

Aituk7 likes this.
  6. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

Do you have calibration certs for all your guns? I imagine you these days you would and the ‘old ask for them as a form of defence’ is probably bollocks.

7. duff_man

duff_man Striker

They are calibrated yeah, the old myth was asking if it has been calibrated that day which it didn’t have to be, only checked for functionality I think was the term.
    Sure there is case law saying that so long as the device shows it is within calibration electronically, like breathalysers, then it is deemed to be correctly calibrated.

Dave Herbal likes this.
  8. Manuel

Manuel Winger

Wife, no, just been done for 79 on the A1 so I would be careful.

Aituk7 likes this.
    Dave Herbal likes this.
  10. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

That might be the limit then, 79.

Anyone been done for less?

11. the dark one

the dark one Winger

It's also bollocks

I was under the illusion it's speed limit plus 30 means a ban.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  12. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

Every force is independent in what their level of tolerance is, with some having 10% and some having 10%+2mph.

It’s guidance, not law, and I’m sure police officers can issue a speeding ticket for less than the tolerance if it’s justified by their own force’s policy

@duff_man

Aituk7 likes this.
  13. That's bang on the formula though 70 +7 (10%) + 2 = 79

14. Frijj

Frijj Striker Contributor

Meaning 79 is permissable if the force in question has adopted the 10%+2 guidance

15. Well it obviously isn't if she got done. Safest thing is not to speed, or don't whinge if you do and get caught. I got done for 106 years back and took it on the chin.

16. What police force?

17. Market Where?

Market Where? Striker

This.

On a related note I just drove from Switzerland to the UK and back and have to say the standard of driving in the UK is appaling. It hurts me to say it but the French motorway driving is miles better than the average Brit. Maybe if the standard was better the speed limits could be raised to 80 - like France.

Flared Hicks and Manuel like this.
  18. They don't advertise it though, limit is 70 and anything above that you're taking a chance

19. Manuel

Manuel Winger

Cambridge I think.

Yeah but that's supposed to be the allowance :(

20. According to the SMB.