M&S to shut 32 more stores as it shifts away from town centres

Not long unless they change ,doesn't help that 80% of the population think the answer is more shops
You need flats ,houses,workshops ,small businesses to populate them and keep them buzzing
LIke this

#brexitbonus

Marks & Spencer is to shut 32 more stores as it shifts away from town centres, saying many have “lost impetus” as a result of failed local authority or government policy.

The high street bellwether said profits will flatline in the year ahead amid “increasing cost pressures and consumer uncertainty”.

A decision to fully exit Russia, after temporarily pausing deliveries in the light of the war in Ukraine, will cost it £31m, while new EU tariffs and border costs relating to Brexit had cost £29.6m in profits and £15m in lost trade.

Last edited:

Durham city centre (silver street) is horrendous and worse than any I’ve been too.

You go to places like York, and it’s full of independent shops. This is the future - however rent needs to come down.

Didn't York always have a lot of independent shops? (I'm basing that on spending a year living there in the early 90s).

This. Yoga, small gyms, creche, housing, cafes, community spaces. Some spaces subsidised for good ot the community.

Keep a core of shops that are needed/wanted together.

Town centres could do with some nice accommodation to encourage people to actually live there. Everything within walking distance etc.
Works for city centres, so why not town centres?

Didn't York always have a lot of independent shops? (I'm basing that on spending a year living there in the early 90s).
Possibly, which shows its the way town centres have to go. York has thrived whilst others Demised
Durham has massively increased its bars and restaraunts, but other than that it is hopeless. It should and could be a huge tourist destination with a plethora of touristy shops.

Last edited:
Possibly, which shows its the way town centres have to go. York has thrived whilst others Demised
Durham has massively increased its bars and restaraunts, but other than that it is hopeless. It should and could be a huge tourist destination with a plethora of touristy shops.
York has a lot more going for it than most cities.
Roman Capital
Major Viking settlement
Rail hub so very easy access
Places like The Shambles are known worldwide - look at any tourist brochure in the US and York is always close to the top
Loads more..

Durham is a secret.

Why, it's a perfect little city. If you have never been to Durham, go there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful.

Bill Bryson

Last edited:

Back