Lysine and Cold Sores

HONEY, its magic, got to be the raw honey from amazon, amazing for skin

A research study by Al-Waili (2004) [page references] tested the application of honey to fever blisters, as opposed to acyclovir cream (a prescription antiviral medication).

The study's findings were that the honey treatment performed better. Specifically: "The mean duration of attacks and pain, occurrence of crusting, and mean healing time with honey treatment were 35%, 39%, 28% and 43% better" than when the prescription item was used.

https://www.animated-teeth.com/cold_sores/t-cold-sore-remedy-list.htm

I won't call it bullshit but I am very skeptical of that on the face of it.

That doesn't mean anything though. I'm skeptical of its application as an antiviral treatment.

If it's being used simply as a wound treatment then the comparison to antiviral drugs is a faulty one.

Additionally the research used 16 participants. That's not a lot.

The full article isn't available to me so all I can read is the abstract which doesn't explain the methodology or whether there's any statistical significance to the findings.

I normally treat this and homeopathy as total f***ing bullshit - and it's wrong of me to do so without evidence for that - so that's my default position on what is IMO often absolutely claptrap.

You may be right and he may be right and it may be great. I could be wrong. This isn't an attack on you btw just so we're clear mate.

Been plagued with them recently, mainly as I'm a bit run down at the moment.

Turns out the zovirax stuff only works to stop the virus coming to the surface, once its there, it does nowt.
That tingling feeling it literally the virus moving along the nerve cells and towards the skin - crazy when you think about it.

There's a potential cure in the lines at the moment, awaiting final trial results - GSW have bought the rights to it following trial stage 2 of 3 - so its promising - the idea is that it'll actually wipe it out. Which would be nice.

HONEY, its magic, got to be the raw honey from amazon, amazing for skin

A research study by Al-Waili (2004) [page references] tested the application of honey to fever blisters, as opposed to acyclovir cream (a prescription antiviral medication).

The study's findings were that the honey treatment performed better. Specifically: "The mean duration of attacks and pain, occurrence of crusting, and mean healing time with honey treatment were 35%, 39%, 28% and 43% better" than when the prescription item was used.

https://www.animated-teeth.com/cold_sores/t-cold-sore-remedy-list.htm
That's fine - acylovir isn't a treatment for a cold sore. Its a suppressant BEFORE you get a cold sore.

Turns out the zovirax stuff only works to stop the virus coming to the surface, once its there, it does nowt.
That tingling feeling it literally the virus moving along the nerve cells and towards the skin - crazy when you think about it.

There's a potential cure in the lines at the moment, awaiting final trial results - GSW have bought the rights to it following trial stage 2 of 3 - so its promising - the idea is that it'll actually wipe it out. Which would be nice.
The Z stuff stops mine in its tracks immediately - magic.

As soon as you feel the tingle of one coming, rub a few ice cubes onto it.

That's fine - acylovir isn't a treatment for a cold sore. Its a suppressant BEFORE you get a cold sore.
I'd cry tears of joy if this plague could be done away with.

other stuff on web

http://www.livestrong.com/article/295164-honey-as-a-treatment-for-cold-sores-fever-blisters/

Honey is a thick, sweet, amber liquid produced by bees from the nectar of flowers. According to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, the Greek physician Hippocrates endorsed the use of topical honey for skin infections of the legs and mouth sores, undoubtedly including cold sores and fever blisters. Roman physicians recommended oral honey for gastrointestinal and respiratory complaints.

Features
Honey contains high concentrations of sugar in the form of fructose and glucose. Such a high concentration of sugar makes it difficult for bacteria and fungus to survive. For people with cold sores and fever blisters, this may mean faster healing because the immune system does not also have to defend against these germs, leaving it free to focus on the virus. Honey also supplies rich levels of flavonoids and phenolic acid, compounds that fight the herpes simplex virus in test tubes.

I started using l-lysine along with some other amino acids about 2 years ago as an exercise supplement (not sure it really did much on that front to be honest) but I've only had 1 cold sore in that time and it lasted about a day (!). Before that I would be plagued most the winter so I'm sure something is working....

I started using l-lysine along with some other amino acids about 2 years ago as an exercise supplement (not sure it really did much on that front to be honest) but I've only had 1 cold sore in that time and it lasted about a day (!). Before that I would be plagued most the winter so I'm sure something is working....
So you started to take of yourself better, including exercise? At the same time as the problems went away.

I can think of another reason why they went away mate ;)

So you started to take of yourself better, including exercise? At the same time as the problems went away.

I can think of another reason why they went away mate ;)
I work out 5 times a week, eat the best I ever had in my life and I am under no stress at the minute yet I've had three on the bounce.

Back