Lyndon Gooch

Hume is lower than O'Nien on the data by quite a bit - although what everyone sees with Hume, which what they don't with Luke, is that direct pace going forward (which he is very good at doing). Important to remember about Hume is his final ball and general attacking ability is pretty bad. Can remember at least one or two moments in the Bristol game where he should have just shot but he has to take a second or two to figure out what to do.

Honestly I just wish we would ditch this terrible formation and sign a right and left back.
Wouldn’t that involve doing something different though? I swear porkinson would rather hacksaw his own dick off before he did that.

I swear some people like the poster here watch a completely different game.

But that's the beauty of football I suppose.

Why has nobody from the Championship ever taken a serious look at him then? Do you think Donald would not have sold him? Fucks sake, we even managed to peddle Honeyman.

His touch is poor and he's a head down player. He has his moments and when his confidence his up he can be a handful. He makes the most of himself, we could do with more with his attitude. But he's not some kind of obvious talent playing way below his level. He doesn't hugely stand out at this level. He's ok, good. But not good enough for Championship other than a squad player imo. Hard to see how anyone could see otherwise - we have plenty of evidence.

I agree too. I really think O’Nien is overrated at both defensive duties and getting forward and Gooch is far, far better at getting forward.

I’d have him in at RWB every week.
O'nien is a bog standard league 1 player. Lovely lad by all accounts and that's what shrouds people's vision on here.

O'nien is a bog standard league 1 player. Lovely lad by all accounts and that's what shrouds people's vision on here.

I do think he’d be a squad player in the championship, should we ever go up again. But he’s incomparable to Gooch when he’s further up the pitch...

I do think he’d be a squad player in the championship, should we ever go up again. But he’s incomparable to Gooch when he’s further up the pitch...
If he doesn't kick on this year he should be someone we should be looking at scattering. He's proved nothing to say he's a quality league 1 player never mind a championship one.

Hume is lower than O'Nien on the data by quite a bit - although what everyone sees with Hume, which what they don't with Luke, is that direct pace going forward (which he is very good at doing). Important to remember about Hume is his final ball and general attacking ability is pretty bad. Can remember at least one or two moments in the Bristol game where he should have just shot but he has to take a second or two to figure out what to do.
What stats are these?

Gooch should get a go at rwb imo. I like O'nien and he is better defensively but Gooch would offer more going forward and will try to take a man on, getting us higher up the pitch and creating more space.
Put him in goal. Can’t be any worse as his short arms would not have conceded the pen

We scored from Denver Hume getting in behind and cutting the ball back.

It's time we give this myth about Hume's final ball being poor a rest, it's just not true.

It's time we give this myth about Hume's final ball being poor a rest, it's just not true.
Put in some very good crosses into the right areas. As a wide player that’s all you can do. If the strikers aren’t attacking those areas then they’re the problem.

I said Denver is very good at getting forward but I certainly won’t count a two yard pass to Power as a ground breaking pass. Hume is a good player, and a very good option for this league. But if he is to progress into a better player he needs to bulk up a little and be more concise and consistent with his final ball. That’s not a myth, it’s just reality.

I said Denver is very good at getting forward but I certainly won’t count a two yard pass to Power as a ground breaking pass. Hume is a good player, and a very good option for this league. But if he is to progress into a better player he needs to bulk up a little and be more concise and consistent with his final ball. That’s not a myth, it’s just reality.

No one said it was ground breaking did they? It was the correct ball (and one you'd expect the player to score from if it wasn't George Dobson and his first touch wasn't appalling) and one that he created after a great run in behind. It was a very good piece of play because he's a very good attacking outlet.

It's not reality, you are incorrect. The reality is he provides two or three decent crosses every match. The reality is he gets into better attacking positions than anyone in our squad in nearly every single match and is a good attacking player despite you saying his attacking play is poor. The reality is when you get into the areas he does as often as he does, he isn't going to be able to complete the cross and find a Sunderland player every time because a) it's impossible and even full backs like TAA will average something around 30% cross completion and b) we often have one or two players in the box for him to aim at.

I don't really give the slightest of fucks if O'Nien's whoscored average rating is better because he scored a few goals last season when he was playing in centre mid. Denver Hume is a superior wing back to Luke O'Nien in just about every aspect of play.

He scored 10 goals in 29 league games last season and still gets more criticism than the majority of other players, what do people expect from him?

Attacking midfielder types always seem to get a lot more stick than they should on here. Some of the criticism Sessegnon got in particular looks even more ludicrous now than it did at the time.

I'd like to see him given a chance in the Grigg role. He knows where the net is, he'd be better at holding the ball up and can actually make things happen himself.

Back