Lyndon Gooch

Gooch should get a go at rwb imo. I like O'nien and he is better defensively but Gooch would offer more going forward and will try to take a man on, getting us higher up the pitch and creating more space.

So remove a player who is better defensively from a more defensive position, replace him and play someone out of position who is weaker defensively, because he’s a better attacking option, because he’s actually an attacking player?

So remove a player who is better defensively from a more defensive position, replace him and play someone out of position who is weaker defensively, because he’s a better attacking option, because he’s actually an attacking player?

Yes, if we're playing 2 more defensive minded cm, why not they can cover. Hume is better going forward than defensively so why not have the same on the other wing. Especially at home when teams just sit deep and defend.

Gooch should get a go at rwb imo. I like O'nien and he is better defensively but Gooch would offer more going forward and will try to take a man on, getting us higher up the pitch and creating more space.

I’d agree. If he is going to insist on playing two DM’s with three CB’s, then we might well get away with having Gooch at RWB.

i don’t think O’Nien is that good defensively and if you watch us in home games like on Saturday then the wing backs are that high they’re basically wingers. Gooch has also played there for us before. Played 45 mins there against Charlton opening day of 18/19 season.

Wouldnt be the first team to do it, noticed Wolves were lining up with Adama there the other day and Chelsea won the league with Moses there. Ashley young for United too

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t even think O’Nien is good enough for the role, his production is nowhere near Humes on the other side and our wing backs define how we play.

i don’t think O’Nien is that good defensively and if you watch us in home games like on Saturday then the wing backs are that high they’re basically wingers. Gooch has also played there for us before. Played 45 mins there against Charlton opening day of 18/19 season.

Wouldnt be the first team to do it, noticed Wolves were lining up with Adama there the other day and Chelsea won the league with Moses there. Ashley young for United too
Bukayo saka, alphonso davies. Loads of examples in the modern game. Especially with 3 at the back.

Let’s be fair, he’s a half decent League 1 player. Has a string of good games and then a string of games where he’s terrible.
Yeah but we are also terrible when Gooch doesn’t play. We won one game last season when he didn’t play and that was 1-0 v Southend, we were rotten 100% of the time in a 2 month stretch without him. We’ve started the season against Hull and Bristol without Gooch in the team and we haven’t been able to score a goal. We only scored when he came on vs Bristol.

Play 442 and put him next to Graham McGuire and Hume in the wide midfield 4

Back