Lyle Taylor reveals why he rejected Sunderland

He's changed his tune now and reckons we were haggling over a few hundred quid, so he took less coin and signed for Charlton.

Didn't the Charlton chief scout/chief exec or something say he had to take a week off after tying up the deal for Lyle Taylor as it was that stressful / he was worn out and it took a full week of negotiations or something?

Said it was absolutely worth it mind, but might give a bit insight into why he didn't end up coming here if he was that much hard work.

Didn't the Charlton chief scout/chief exec or something say he had to take a week off after tying up the deal for Lyle Taylor as it was that stressful / he was worn out and it took a full week of negotiations or something?

Said it was absolutely worth it mind, but might give a bit insight into why he didn't end up coming here if he was that much hard work.
Indeed. These stories are rather contradictory. Smells like somebody trying to rewrite history.

Not sure mate. These days I doubt players have much say anyway. It looks like this lad doesn't even know the full tale.

He's a good player like but I've heard him say:

- something wasn't quite right about Sunderland

- Charlton is closer to where he lives and where his family and friends are

- We were a bit stingy in the negotiations

Make your mind up Lyle.

I believe him, I do think we played a very dangerous game in the summer by not going that little bit extra for a few players like Taylor who could have made the difference with automatic promotion.

Only time will tell whether we pay for it but I’m sure lessons have been learn from last summer, and I have faith with the management, recruitment team and owners that they will have.

Bottom line with Taylor, he is good and we should have went that little bit more to push it over the line.

Back