Lying on your CV

Is there even such a thing as a CV without a few little untruths in it :lol: I thought it was pretty much compulsory these days!

I can honestly say there is no dishonesty about my past work record on my CV and it is all verifiable. I don't see the point as at some point you can get called out on the remarks on your CV.

Whether I remember how to do some of the more historical stuff (i.e. statistical) is a different matter mind!!! :lol:

I got caught out a few years ago, as I needed to use regression analysis and although I had historically done it I struggled to remember how when needed. I'd also previously done it in Minitab and not Microsoft Excel. That said, the employers at the time didn't make it clear it was a required skill in Excel when I was employed when it in fact turned out to be a good 50% of the non-experimental part of the job.

Fraudster who got £120,000 job as Mech-Tool boss made up THREE university degrees

Not just a little white lie, but fake degrees and author of books.

FFS, I get the odd grade being changed at GCSE or A Level. These can be passed off at typos on your CV in the extremely unlikely event these are checked (not easy with qualifications sat years and years ago).

But you are bound to be caught out with fabrication of an entire academic past he never had. Once you get into higher education, qualifications are very easily checkable. At my previous employer, University degrees and higher were all checked out for new employees. Older employees were also being retrospectively being checked.

----------------

There's a bloke who very rarely gets into my local, one of three avoidables, one turning into a nasty piece of work when pissed and the other a poor lad I've mentioned in the past with microcephaly and into Star Trek fantasies (mentioned him before - feel sorry for him).

This third bloke claims to have gone through officer training at Sandhurst and also to have been a professor in a technical subject at European University. He's started a company out in Thailand (with local partner) and got himself a Thai bride. They are the bits that are verifiable, though using a 20 year old photo of yourself on the company website isn't the cleverest move.

When checked out, there is no evidence of him having undergone officer training. His professorship and supporting PhD (check-able via British Library EThOS - Search and order theses online in the UK or The DART-Europe E-theses Portal covering the rest of Europe) do not exist either and the European University he claims to have been a professor at doesn't even have a department or faculty in his subject.

The reality appears to be he gained his skills at apprenticeship level, possibly (or possibly not) within one of the armed services and never properly set foot in a university. At some stage, he's gone out the Far East and been one of these people who's invented a past for himself to look better finding work out there (the writing a fake CV on the plane scenario). He's either started to believe his fabricated past or just keeps up the pretense as dropping it might make himself look less of a man.

He's very plausible, which I'd expect from someone who'd done a services apprenticeship. It's a shame he feels he needs to do this, as family I've met are actually okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

At one place I worked we had a fella come and work with us who claimed he had won a gold in the Calgary Winter Olympics in 88. He often wore a jumper with the words Calagary 88 and pictures of skiers on it as he’d won a gold medal on the Calgary 88 Winter Olympics. He also told us that all his passwords contained the word ‘gold’ as he’d won a gold medal in the Calgary 88 Winter Olympics.

A quick google search told us that he hadn’t won a gold medal in the Calgary 88 Winter Olympics.

It did tell us he had had a series of jobs in prominent positions he wasn’t qualified for though.

Would have loved to have seen his CV.

I told a small lie to get my job like. Basically I desperately needed a job because the missus was pregnant and I needed to be in Sunderland. I'd previously been doing work on prequalification documents (submissions to get the company on tender lists) with a fair bit of success at my old company. A job came up doing the same thing, decent pay (better than a lot of the other jobs I'd been going for, I'd have literally taken anything), I knew I could do the job, and it would let me move to Sunderland, it was the perfect fit for me. Only thing is one of the requirements was that you must be good at using InDesign, as that was the package they used to produce their documentation.

Needless to say when someone phoned me about the job I said I'd used it extensively in my old job, and I put on my CV that all our submissions at the old place were produced on InDesign. I'd never heard of it, we'd produced everything on PowerPoint.

Long story short I was bricking it but I managed to download a trial version of InDesign, watched some YouTube videos on how to use it, and produced a "why I want to work for this company" document on InDesign which I took to my interview. They were impressed that I'd taken the time to produce something, I got the job, the baby got food on the table and I've been there for years. I knew I could do the job so it wasn't a huge lie, but sometimes you have to embellish the truth to get your foot in the door

Superb and if you performed in the job then everyone happy.
I always look for team fit when interviewing.

I am a decent person and always fair.
This individual had numerous chances, support and was an issue in the team.
He had to go. The remaining team all supported the decision.
Apart from being crap he stunk of BO and was told of that twice as other people had mentioned it.

Yet you gave someone the sack after he had already been judged as doing a good job by his line manager.

In my most recent job at the age of 50 I was asked to provide my highest level of qualification . The original they wanted.
I had a panic attack

I'd struggle to work out where the paperwork for anything pre-Uni. was now although I found my old school report file a few months ago. Not pretty reading!!!

"Has ability but must try harder..." :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd struggle to work out where the paperwork for anything pre-Uni. was now although I found my old school report file a few months ago. Not pretty reading!!!

"Has ability but must try harder..." :lol:
All I could find was my NVQ level 3 in management.
They were happy with it.
Warning to everyone though.

I can imagine, those milk monitor badges fall to bits after a year or two.
I was a popman not a milkman ;)

Never mind lying on CVs

Type in "fake degrees UK" on Google.

Most people are able to produce genuine qualifications, but it does make you wonder.

Posted this before on here, but I packed in Uni early on cos everyone there seemed to be a wanker, including me. Having fucked about for a few years, the first proper job I ever applied for required a degree, so I just lied and said I had one. They gave me the job and never checked.

Worrying that the truth might out, I applied for a similar job with a different company who, quite reasonably, assumed I must have a degree based on my current job, so never even bothered asking.

At one place I worked we had a fella come and work with us who claimed he had won a gold in the Calgary Winter Olympics in 88. He often wore a jumper with the words Calagary 88 and pictures of skiers on it as he’d won a gold medal on the Calgary 88 Winter Olympics. He also told us that all his passwords contained the word ‘gold’ as he’d won a gold medal in the Calgary 88 Winter Olympics.

A quick google search told us that he hadn’t won a gold medal in the Calgary 88 Winter Olympics.

It did tell us he had had a series of jobs in prominent positions he wasn’t qualified for though.

Would have loved to have seen his CV.
Didn't he used to post on here... ? ;)

Yet you gave someone the sack after he had already been judged as doing a good job by his line manager.

More than happy to give you further details.
Yes his ex line Manager moved into another role and signed off his probation period and appraisal as meets. She even put him on a Personal Improvement Plan that she never followed through.
His job was about saving money and in 8 months had saved zero.
New Manager came in and basically gave me enough evidence that was frightening. Clearly skill level never matched his CV. Took 2 weeks for a family bereavement, Went to a Key Supplier and meeting was a car crash. That with two issues of notifying of his personal hygiene.

Brought in a young lad in an identical role and within 3 weeks is ripping up trees.
This along with the New Manager who is doing an excellent job and building an excellent team.

I am ultimately responsible for the numbers thus I can’t carry someone who clearly is not up to the job. Paid him off in full with a sum of money (not much) tax free.
Hope that explains.

Didn't lie in my cv, but in my interview for a job in the states I was asked whether Sunderland University was any good. Yes. I said. One of the Best. Got the Job.

It was for a major psychiatric unit in Manhattan. Two weeks before cherry knoll had turned me down for virtually the same role on 1/3 the pay.

More than happy to give you further details.
Yes his ex line Manager moved into another role and signed off his probation period and appraisal as meets. She even put him on a Personal Improvement Plan that she never followed through.
His job was about saving money and in 8 months had saved zero.
New Manager came in and basically gave me enough evidence that was frightening. Clearly skill level never matched his CV. Took 2 weeks for a family bereavement, Went to a Key Supplier and meeting was a car crash. That with two issues of notifying of his personal hygiene.

Brought in a young lad in an identical role and within 3 weeks is ripping up trees.
This along with the New Manager who is doing an excellent job and building an excellent team.

I am ultimately responsible for the numbers thus I can’t carry someone who clearly is not up to the job. Paid him off in full with a sum of money (not much) tax free.
Hope that explains.

I dunno, it sounds harsh to me

Didn't lie in my cv, but in my interview for a job in the states I was asked whether Sunderland University was any good. Yes. I said. One of the Best. Got the Job.

It was for a major psychiatric unit in Manhattan. Two weeks before cherry knoll had turned me down for virtually the same role on 1/3 the pay.

Sunderland used to good in Polytechnic days. It's now degraded into a typical "bums on seats" New University.

I miss The Lord Rowell... :D

Back