Lumix LX7 or Sony RX100

Has anyone got either of these cameras?

Just got shut of the Canon sx260hs and am looking for a decent point and shoot.
Giving it a rest with Canon as I've had a few now and bar the S95 none of them have been very good.

Sony is obviously the more expensive but easily fits in the pocket. I can see the Panny GX1 is available at a very good price minus the lens but don't really know if it's any good. The LX7 however seems to get good reports.

Thanks.

Giving it a rest with Canon as I've had a few now and bar the S95 none of them have been very good.

Sony is obviously the more expensive but easily fits in the pocket. I can see the Panny GX1 is available at a very good price minus the lens but don't really know if it's any good. The LX7 however seems to get good reports.

Thanks.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either camera. They both look great!

I’ve had the RX100 for a few months now and it’s fantastic for the purposes you describe. It’s genuinely quite brilliant. It slips into my suit pocket easily without a second thought – even the trouser pocket is completely comfortable.

Its greatest usefulness is that it delivers amazing quality images (it uses a much larger sensor than most point and shoots) and combines this with an F1.4 lens at wide open. Therefore I can shoot indoors or outdoors at a moment’s notice without any anxiety about insufficient light. (ISO to 3200 entirely useable – to 1600 excellent.) For me that represents the opportunity to always have a camera on me as I walk around school. As soon as I see some great children’s work that I want to use as part of the school PR – then it’s captured!!

The lens is Carl Zeiss - delivering fantastically rich colours. It turns out RAW and JPEG images too at 22 mega pixels – so plenty scope to crop a shot if necessary or for artistic effect.

It’s referred to as the “DSLR in a point and shoot box.” Pixel quality is superb – no water-colouring effects when you get in very close. (A criticism of some other Sony compacts.)

In short with this camera you get image quality which critics describe as near DSLR standard. (I’ve compared them with crop frame DSLR and my, albeit amateur eye, is unable to determine a greater quality in my two DSLR cameras’ shots.)

That combines with a size that genuinely means it fits in a pocket easily – gives me the opportunity to capture shots I simply would have missed simply due to not having a camera.

These Youtube videos influenced my decision to buy. Hope this review is helpful to you!! Cheers!!

Steve Huff:

Blunty:

Digital Rev (I Know…!!)

Finally this review (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Review | Photography Blog ) on the Panasonic gives a great view on it – but concludes: “but with cameras like the recent Sony CyberShot DSC-RX100 delivering better image quality in a smaller package, not to mention the explosion in the number of compact system cameras, the premium-priced LX7 faces fiercer competition than ever before.”

Thanks.
Rx100 mkII just announced a few days ago. Looks to be a good update with wi-fi and some significant developments in low light capability. Due out in a few weeks.

I`ve got an LX7 as my pocket sized walk around when I can`t be bothered to hump my kit around and it takes great pics. I`m very happy with it.

Cheers Mick although a bit late to the party, I bought the RX100 from Jessops last Sunday.

Getting used to holding it as it's quite small and the flash gets in the way of my left hand grip. However that aside it takes amazing photos and is very forgiving of my clumsy snaps. It's got a multitude of options most of which I'll never use :p

Cheers Mick although a bit late to the party, I bought the RX100 from Jessops last Sunday.

Getting used to holding it as it's quite small and the flash gets in the way of my left hand grip. However that aside it takes amazing photos and is very forgiving of my clumsy snaps. It's got a multitude of options most of which I'll never use :p
I`ve just picked up a second hand RX100 iii pretty cheap a few days ago to upgrade my LX7 as my pocketable walk around. Hoping top test it out over the next few days.

Back