Luke Kelly

Last edited:
One of the greatest voices and presence. Frontman? Hard to say in The Dubliners, they had him and Ronnie Drew but never performed as if it was them and some old backing band, SOME backing band mind. They were a collective in outlook and performance. Ciaràn Bourke had to leave the band after a brain haemorrhage in 1974. He was paid as a member all the time to his death in 1984.

Luke was dead by the time I saw them first but his voice has been with me all of my life. This is Luke's last performance. He was very ill and the band were concerned he would struggle - John Sheehan was added as Luke couldn't always manage gigs or all of a gig - even in his diminished state he is peerless

Amazing talent and incredible unique voice.

Best frontman is an out there claim and as above not sure you can say the Dubliners have a 'frontman'. Very much like the musketeers them fellas. But if you had to pick one as the being in that role it would always be Ronnie Drew. Kelly was the real talent though.

One of the greatest voices and presence. Frontman? Hard to say in The Dubliners, they had him and Ronnie Drew but never performed as if it was them and some old backing band, SOME backing band mind. They were a collective in outlook and performance. Ciaràn Bourke had to leave the band after a brain haemorrhage in 1974. He was paid as a member all the time to his death in 1984.

Luke was dead by the time I saw them first but his voice has been with me all of my life. This is Luke's last performance. He was very ill and the band were concerned he would struggle - John Sheehan was added as Luke couldn't always manage gigs or all of a gig - even in his diminished state he is peerless

I’d love to have seen the Dubliners.

If anyone hasn’t seen it Seven Drunken Nights musical/play is excellent.

I’d love to have seen the Dubliners.

If anyone hasn’t seen it Seven Drunken Nights musical/play is excellent.
Saw them a lot with Ronnie from my first time at the Sunderland Empire. Most memorable was probably at The Mean Fiddler in Harlesden. Shane MacGowan, who was sat quietly in the bar pre gig, wearing a full on Ronnie Drew pinstripe and beard, came on to sing three or four songs - Rising of the Moon, Dity Old Town and Irish Rover, might have been something else as well, and it was magical. They played Clapham Grand the bext night which was also good and Spider Stacy joined on whistle too. Just looked it up, February 1993. Shane was on the bill at Middlesbrough Town Hall too but was a no show, think Patsy Watchorn stepped in. I am rambling jow and this is sober...

Back