Luke 0'9

I’d have Gooch in that role before O’Nien every single time.

Running beyond Wyke is absolutely not the role, though. With two forwards, two wingers and two attacking fullbacks, the role is to help anchor the side. If he’s running beyond our striker he’s in the wrong place.

Indeed. If we want O'Nien to be running beyond Wyke, he can't be playing alongside Leadbitter in a midfield two unless something else changes.
I agree in theory as Gooch has that bit of pace, able to run with the ball opening up space, id often decent linking in those areas and is as much, maybe more, of a goal threat. Hes a better final third player even if he's frustrating as f*ck.

I just think at this level Onien's strengths, although limited, might cause problems for the majority of teams as he's an awkward niggly so and so with energy and willingness and is just bloody awkward to play against, whilst also being good in the air. Theres no way he could play that role at a good level as he hasn't got the skillset, but at this level I think he could.

Plus it gets him put of central midfield.

That's why I think he'd be better in a midfield three with Leadbitter and Scowen. Whether it's alongside Scowen with Leadbitter behind, or Leadbitter and Scowen as a pair and O'Nien further forward - they're both options.
not sure we’d go up playing like that

Who knows. It would at least give O'Nien more freedom to get up and down without leaving huge gaps.

Last edited:

Still can't believe the motm thread yesterday and people seriously picking Onien. It's like they never watched the match.
Still can't believe the motm thread yesterday and people seriously picking Onien. It's like they never watched the match.
You been eating onions?

Indeed. If we want O'Nien to be running beyond Wyke, he can't be playing alongside Leadbitter in a midfield two unless something else changes.

That's why I think he'd be better in a midfield three with Leadbitter and Scowen. Whether it's alongside Scowen with Leadbitter behind, or Leadbitter and Scowen as a pair and O'Nien further forward - they're both options.

Who knows. It would at least give O'Nien more freedom to get up and down without leaving huge gaps.

Good stuff mate singing from the same hymn sheet here as are a good few of us actually. ONien can’t play in a 2 in midfield but there could be a place for him in a 3 with Leadbitter and Scowen

Good stuff mate singing from the same hymn sheet here as are a good few of us actually. ONien can’t play in a 2 in midfield but there could be a place for him in a 3 with Leadbitter and Scowen
For me It's Leadbitter who needs another holding player in there with him in a two as much as O'Nien not being able to play in a two. Personally I'd definitely play a 3 though and O'Nien is by far the best player we have to play the most advanced of the 3.
O'Nien is 26 ffs. He isn't a young player.
No, just better than the other safety first plodders we have in the CM area.

Last edited:
For me It's Leadbitter who needs another holding player in there with him in a two as much as O'Nien not being able to play in a two. Personally I'd definitely play a 3 though and O'Nien is by far the best player we have to play the most advanced of the 3.

No, just better than the other safety first plodders we have in the CM area.
That's the only position I would play him in tbh. His eagerness just to play and play anywhere probably hasn't done him any favours. I mean Parkinson had him playing as right sided centre back.

That's the only position I would play him in tbh. His eagerness just to play and play anywhere probably hasn't done him any favours. I mean Parkinson had him playing as right sided centre back.
Yeah, that could well be the case. I'm just not sure if a two man midfield is the way to go tbh. At some point you are always going to be over run by a 3 man midfield and by playing a player like O'Nien who likes to get forward, close down and not just hold his position alongside a player like Leadbitter who doesn't get about the pitch very well was always going to leave us exposed at points in the game. But the manager chose the players and must have understood the strengths and weaknesses of the players he chose, so I don't feel some of the criticisms being made of individuals are entirely fair but more of a tactical issue.

Is he worth building the team around though?

The sole purpose just needs to be whats best at creating chances for Wyke

Good goal, useful squad player and a decent lad. Our worst player today though. He’s not good enough in midfield. Was completely and utterly lost.

Still not a bad goals for midfield games ratio. I’ll judge after a few games but he’s better in the air than most of our current midfielders, seems to just hang in the air. I’m not that keen on Scowen and haven’t seen enough of Winchester or Jones. Happy to see what happens but we have to try something different to get goals as the current formation isn’t working.

Back