Luke 0'9

I think it’s underestimated how hard it is to play in numerous positions every season and do it well.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well he’s taken to the centre back role and think he’s getting better every week.

I have not seen his role in the first goal last night mentioned. If you watch it back you will see that he just stands still which blocked any move by the defender on him to get to Wyke and made the defender covering Wyke have to around him, hence giving Charlie all that space to get the header in.
It was obviously a training ground move which says a lot about bout LJ and his players starting to think on a new level. However even standing still Luke had a significant influence on the game, almost a half assist if there was such a thing.

It's not my thread.

He's not very good. Plenty agree on that point. His career progression to date, whereby he's ended up playing anywhere but his preferred position in an underperforming League 1 side at 26 years old suggests he's not that good a footballer. If his touch, his footballing brain, his ability, his potential and his athleticism were as good as people like you try to make out he would already be playing at a higher level.

Luke O'Nien, average league 1 utility man. No shame in that. Stop pretending he's anything other.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have not seen his role in the first goal last night mentioned. If you watch it back you will see that he just stands still which blocked any move by the defender on him to get to Wyke and made the defender covering Wyke have to around him, hence giving Charlie all that space to get the header in.
It was obviously a training ground move which says a lot about bout LJ and his players starting to think on a new level. However even standing still Luke had a significant influence on the game, almost a half assist if there was such a thing.
It was a proper basketball screen. Really good to see and exactly what smart teams would do on corners.

As for the thread bump, it's interesting to look back on what's been said. What was heartening for me watching O'Nien last night was that he cut out those brain fade moments where he just fucks off out of position - something that has been worrying me throughout his stint at centre half prior to last night. He's still not a midfielder for me on what we've seen of him. Too liable to chase it - something that he's no doubt been explicitly told not to do as a centre half. However, performances like last night make you wonder if this temporary, lashed-together centre half pairing is actually something that is worth persevering with even when Flanagan and Wright are back.

As well as strong solid defending, he brings the ball out great plus is doing some excellent damage off corners in their box.
Last night's Wyke goal and the one from Power (think Fleetwood (h)) - both came from him blocking off their defenders in the box and allowing a free runner.

I stand by that. He had a very good game, at League 1 level, against an out of form League 1 side that offered little.
It was a proper basketball screen. Really good to see and exactly what smart teams would do on corners.

As for the thread bump, it's interesting to look back on what's been said. What was heartening for me watching O'Nien last night was that he cut out those brain fade moments where he just fucks off out of position - something that has been worrying me throughout his stint at centre half prior to last night. He's still not a midfielder for me on what we've seen of him. Too liable to chase it - something that he's no doubt been explicitly told not to do as a centre half. However, performances like last night make you wonder if this temporary, lashed-together centre half pairing is actually something that is worth persevering with even when Flanagan and Wright are back.
I've noticed a few times where he's wandered towards the centre line only to hear a shout from the touchline n run back. :lol: Didn't do it last night. Last night was as organised as I've seen our back four since... I honestly can't think when.

Last edited:
I stand by that. He had a very good game, at League 1 level, against an out of form League 1 side that offered little.

I've noticed a few times where he's wandered towards the centre line only to hear a shout from the touchline n run back. :lol: Didn't do it last night. Last night was as organised as I've seen our back four since... I honestly can't think when.
Fuck sake mate give it up :lol: nobody will think any less of you honestly. He’s a very good player and one we’re lucky to have. “Against an out of form league one side that offered very little”:oops:
If that’s the case then the rest of the team had a good league one game, against and out of form league one side, that offered very little in a league one game. You beat what’s put in front of you at any level. Luke O’Nien is a good footballer and the sooner you stop embarrassing yourself and just say yeah I might’ve got that wrong the better.

Fuck sake mate give it up :lol: nobody will think any less of you honestly. He’s a very good player and one we’re lucky to have. “Against an out of form league one side that offered very little”:oops:
If that’s the case then the rest of the team had a good league one game, against and out of form league one side, that offered very little in a league one game. You beat what’s put in front of you at any level. Luke O’Nien is a good footballer and the sooner you stop embarrassing yourself and just say yeah I might’ve got that wrong the better.
That's correct.

I understand that you want to stand by your earlier statement, but out of form or not, that was a very hard game for us, and John Marquis is no donkey in this league.

The fact is, O'Nien has become an integral piece of this side and he is a very good player at his level. Given his obvious appetite to learn, I hope that he can actually take that step up to the next level if we go up.

Last edited:
I understand that you want to stand by your earlier statement, but out of form or not, that was a very hard game for us, and John Marquis is no donkey in this league.

The fact is, O'Nien has become an integral piece of this side and he is a very good player at his level. Given his obvious appetite for learn, I hope that he can actually take that step up to the next level if we go up.
He had a good game. I said he was MOTM in the MOTM thread. What more d'ya want me to say?

I thought he was terrific last night, showed fantastic balance and two footedness when bringing the ball out - almost reminded me of Vergini in that aspect. Done a great job physically, positioning isn't amazing but he recovers very well.

Brain-fades and funny running aside, it will be his metrics that form the basis of his future with Sun'land, as with the current squad and all future signings. His on-field enthusiasm and dressing-room bantz will be an important but secondary matter. Personally, I hope he has a place on the magic carpet.

Back