Lowest point in our history

The appointment of Parkinson summed it up for me. Nothing against the bloke but that really set it in that we're just a League One club hoping to get promotion. Rather than a higher division club trying to get back up.

I had a lot of sympathy for Donald and co in the first year, but the second has been an abject failure across the board. Dire.
Saved me typing this.

Next proper game is Coventry, things could boil over for the owner if we play shite and lose again.
How can things be over? He owns the club and we cannot do a thing about it.Even if we stay in this shit league there will be still 15-20 thousand willing to turn up and the three amigos will just cut their cloth to service this level of revenue!

That for me today is the lowest point in our history. An FA cup game at home watched by under 8,000 people, another desperate performance , two wins in seven for our new manager and a goalkeeper who had to act as a ball boy. And people think Donald is doing a good job?? We are turning into Eastleigh at an alarming speed. The rot in league 1 has now set in and we now look like a mid table league 1 team and I wouldn’t rule out it getting worse and us getting dragged down into the lower end of the table. Where’s the f***ing owner? He’s gone from podcasts and drinking with fans every week to cancelling talk ins and going into hiding. It’s time he faced the music. Get us out of this mess in Jan or get out of the club. And to think some people are still taken in by Charlie Methven trying to put a positive spin on everything. Things are terrible from top to bottom at the club. There is no dressing it up.

the only thing your right about is the ballboy fiasco the rest is just negative and destructive for the sake of it and displays a lack of understanding

Next proper game is Coventry, things could boil over for the owner if we play shite and lose again.

Boil over? It’s only on here people are simmering. That’s just keyboard threats. Majority know that this could have been and could still be a lot worse.
my simple attitude to those who can’t cope is don’t go.As for those who don’t go, you have no right to boil over about anything.

Should have sold to the germans
72/73 season was lowest point and ended up our highest point.Dont think that is on the cards these dark days like.We could be fucked actually.

we’re doomed, we’re doomed ..... one thing for sure if the attitude of the fans on here prevailed we would be
does the academy even have lifts? doesn't look big enough to me.

You need them if you want to be cat 1

Last edited:
the only thing your right about is the ballboy fiasco the rest is just negative and destructive for the sake of it and displays a lack of understanding

You're wrong.

There was under 8000 there and it is 2 wins from 7 for PP.
Boil over? It’s only on here people are simmering. That’s just keyboard threats. Majority know that this could have been and could still be a lot worse.
my simple attitude to those who can’t cope is don’t go.As for those who don’t go, you have no right to boil over about anything.

Agree.

Last edited:
When the vast majority of the players were signed by personnel that Donald put in place - to a strategy that Donald defined and a budget that Donald set - it f***ing well is his fault. The utter malaise of Safc right now is Donald’s doing. Yea we were a shell of a club when we were relegated to league one. However he’s built a us back up incredibly poorly. There’s little sign that they can even recognise this never mind take the necessary actions to correct it. Based on what we’ve seen to date, promotion under the Donald regime looks utterly impossible.

Nice to agree with you on something ... in principle.
I just don’t think we are in as bad a position as you portray.

I think they realise they cut to deep in the first instance are now having to start building again in areas.
But those judgements are difficult in an organisation being cut to the bone. I said it before Charlie’s podcast when he explained how it’s difficult to restructure to such an extent without cutting some good stuff... only because that’s what it’s like in any organisation that has grown to be inefficient and not sustainable.
In our case all the revenue to fund it was about to stop and there is overhead restrictions set by the EFL.

For me your right but they have been at this for a ‘relatively’ short time. They are now building back up the critical elements in a strategic way and I think they will kick on successfully. Yes it may mean 3 seasons down here but we will be a new mean and lean sustainable football club.

To be honest I think we look much better in the league games and Iam sure the manager will get that consistency going in, again, a relatively short time.
That’s it for me... just give them time.
Then they need to get the fuck out of the club straight away before they get lynched.

will you be leading the mob, or just watching for entertainment?
like most on here you’re not a genuine objective supporter.

Last edited:
Nice to agree with you on something ... in principle.
I just don’t think we are in as bad a position as you portray.

I think they realise they cut to deep in the first instance are now having to start building again in areas.
But those judgements are difficult in an organisation being cut to the bone. I said it before Charlie’s podcast when he explained how it’s difficult to restructure to such an extent without cutting some good stuff... only because that’s what it’s like in any organisation that has grown to be inefficient and not sustainable.
In our case all the revenue to fund it was about to stop and there is overhead restrictions set by the EFL.

For me your right but they have been at this for a ‘relatively’ short time. They are now building back up the critical elements in a strategic way and I think they will kick on successfully. Yes it may mean 3 seasons down here but we will be a new mean and lean sustainable football club.

To be honest I think we look much better in the league games and Iam sure the manager will get that consistency going in, again, a relatively short time.
That’s it for me... just give them time.
The issue I have is the fundamental misdiagnosis that they made during the cutting leads me to have no confidence that they will make the right decisions during this rebuild phase. If you’re going to do what they did and strip things back to the bare bones then you have to put in place smart working practices. There’s been none of that at their Safc. If they’d gone full analytics it would have mitigated the slashing. Instead they went with contacts and personalities - and built a poor squad that limits our ability to improve in the process. They’ve wasted two years of everyone’s time - and the advantage that the parachute payments afforded them over the other clubs in the league.

Additionally, the fact that this rebuild is only possible due to this outside investment lays bare the abject lack of coherent strategy from them. Basically they had no idea how to get Sunderland AFC out of league one on their own steam. This marks them as very poor stewards for the future. I would understand a desire to give them time if there were any signs that they’d know what to do with both this additional grace period - and the investment they’ve been given. The truth is there haven’t been any. It’s very concerning. I live in hope but it will take a complete rejection of their chosen path to date and wholesale, public changes to even start to convince me that they really understand how to fix our club.

The issue I have is the fundamental misdiagnosis that they made during the cutting leads me to have no confidence that they will make the right decisions during this rebuild phase. If you’re going to do what they did and strip things back to the bare bones then you have to put in place smart working practices. There’s been none of that at their Safc. If they’d gone full analytics it would have mitigated the slashing. Instead they went with contacts and personalities - and built a poor squad that limits our ability to improve in the process. They’ve wasted two years of everyone’s time - and the advantage that the parachute payments afforded them over the other clubs in the league.

Additionally, the fact that this rebuild is only possible due to this outside investment lays bare the abject lack of coherent strategy from them. Basically they had no idea how to get Sunderland AFC out of league one on their own steam. This marks them as very poor stewards for the future. I would understand a desire to give them time if there were any signs that they’d know what to do with both this additional grace period - and the investment they’ve been given. The truth is there haven’t been any. It’s very concerning. I live in hope but it will take a complete rejection of their chosen path to date and wholesale, public changes to even start to convince me that they really understand how to fix our club.

interesting post. ‘Learning curves’, ‘don’t be afraid to make mistakes’ ‘only 18 months’ are all sound bites I would use.
I think they will get it right just not all of it instantly.

Back