Louise Wanless RIP

I'm a Blackpool fan who has been living in and around Tees Valley for about the last 25 years and I just wanted to pass on my condolences to all who knew and loved Louise and to share my abiding memory her.

I met Louise whilst working at Teesside Hospice from 1998; we were MFC's charity of the year during my time there, and so I spent quite a lot of time arranging player visits, signed shirts and so on. Nothing was ever too much trouble and she really helped us maximise the opportunity and was simply a lovely, deeply caring person to work with.

My most memorable occasion was her helping to organise a couple of players to come to the Day Hospital as it was one of the guy's 80th birthday. The day was a bit of a mess truth be told. She told me the players had been given extra training, had been rollocked because of a previous game and were a little reluctant to come as they were running quite late and it was a hospice and so on. But, being the caring and professional woman she was, she encouraged (insisted) they turn up and to be fair to them, they were brilliant with him.

At the end of the day as he was leaving, he apologised to his wife, then turned to us and said "that was the best day of my life." He died less than two weeks later.

If Louise had taken the easier option of postponing, that day, for that man, wouldn't have happened.

Sometimes, life can be so cruel, and when reading the news of her passing at such a young age, it caught me.

Having read the tributes here, it is so obvious that she was special and was what she always appeared to be. Her death is such a loss to the area and especially Sunderland and I share your hurt.

R. I. P. Louise, you made the North East that bit better.

Last edited:
I'm a Blackpool fan who has been living in and around Tees Valley for about the last 25 years and I just wanted to pass on my condolences to all who knew and loved Louise and to share my abiding memory her.

I met Louise whilst working at Teesside Hospice from 1998; we were MFC's charity of the year during my time there, and so I spent quite a lot of time arranging player visits, signed shirts and so on. Nothing was ever too much trouble and she really helped us maximise the opportunity and was simply a lovely, deeply caring person to work with.

My most memorable occasion was her helping to organise a couple of players to come to the Day Hospital as it was one of the guy's 80th birthday. The day was a bit of a mess truth be told. She told me the players had been given extra training, had been rollocked because of a previous game and were a little reluctant to come as they were running quite late and it was a hospice and so on. But, being the caring and professional woman she was, she encouraged (insisted) they turn up and to be fair to them, they were brilliant with him.

At the end of the day as he was leaving, he apologised to his wife, then turned to us and said "that was the best day of my life." He died less than two weeks later.

If Louise had taken the easier option of postponing, that day, for that man, wouldn't have happened.

Sometimes, life can be so cruel, and when reading the news of her passing at such a young age, it caught me.

Having read the tributes here, it is so obvious that she was special and was what she always appeared to be. Her death is such a loss to the area and especially Sunderland and I share your hurt.

Lovely post that mind.
Like many others on here I didn’t know the lass well but my brief dealings with her were exactly as you and those who did know her well described.
Terrible loss for her family and friends.

Thank you for that lovely memory.
Life's not fair sometimes is it?

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing that.

The moment she introduced Dick Advocaat after the Arsenal 0-0 and they were both in tears.

Very few people if any have done as much as Louise in the last 2 decades for SAFC.

I'm sure that will merely be a small part of her legacy.

Rest in Peace Louise.

Back