Lost

Excellent show.

Give it a try. You also don’t have to wait a week for each episode like I had to.
That's why I couldn't watch it when it first aired. I feel sorry for the people that had to wait 4-5 years to find out
what the smoke monster was, or why there were Polar Bears on the island, or why Locke could walk, or why 'the others' were such dicks (which never really gets explained) etc
and they were just the basic season 1 mysteries, it keeps adding to them with other crazy mystery shit. It must've been agony for viewers having to wait weeks, months or even years for answers to these questions that they throw at you in S1.

Fuck that. I binge watched it in 2 months.

I liked it when it first started but it just sorta drifted out of my desire to continue watching it.

One reason might have been that they stopped using Mike’s photo memory as a plot device, but the spectre of him not being a proper lawyer was constantly hovering for years. Just take the friggin bar exam already and get it over with man.

The USA channel has had some great light-hearted shows in recent years - White Collar, Burn Notice, Suits, the one with Sara Sahara as a lawyer, the one with Piper Peekaboo as a CIA agent, the one about the boutique doctor in the Hamptons (Royal Pains?), the one about the lady psychiatrist and the NFL player (Necessary Roughness?) ... I don’t think they have any self-made shows going at the moment. (Is Suits still going?) which is too bad. All I see on that channel are reruns of SVU and NCIS!

@ the OP if you like The Sopranos give Ray Donavan a shout. It’s similar - moody miserable main guy, insufferable whining wife, pathetic kids, violence and intrigue. The next season starts on Sunday.

But the best show on the telly is True Detective series one. (The director is doing the next Bond. Plus there’s a new series coming out which unlike series 2 had the original writer involved.)

The more Suits goes on, the more it becomes about the people rather than just being a standard lawyer show. He couldn't take the bar after already being involved in cases because someone would notice, his old cases would have to be retried, and he would be done for fraud.

It's well worth sticking with, particularly if those were your only beefs with it, because
as if I'd give you spoilers for it, man, just watch the show it's awesome.

Concor with the consensus on Lost. Intriguing idea but the writers were taking the absolute piss after they got the green light to stretch it over six ‘seasons’. I think it was @not spavin who called it “clever telly for thick people”!

I liked it when it first started but it just sorta drifted out of my desire to continue watching it.

One reason might have been that they stopped using Mike’s photo memory as a plot device, but the spectre of him not being a proper lawyer was constantly hovering for years. Just take the friggin bar exam already and get it over with man.

The USA channel has had some great light-hearted shows in recent years - White Collar, Burn Notice, Suits, the one with Sara Sahara as a lawyer, the one with Piper Peekaboo as a CIA agent, the one about the boutique doctor in the Hamptons (Royal Pains?), the one about the lady psychiatrist and the NFL player (Necessary Roughness?) ... I don’t think they have any self-made shows going at the moment. (Is Suits still going?) which is too bad. All I see on that channel are reruns of SVU and NCIS!

@ the OP if you like The Sopranos give Ray Donavan a shout. It’s similar - moody miserable main guy, insufferable whining wife, pathetic kids, violence and intrigue. The next season starts on Sunday.

But the best show on the telly is True Detective series one. (The director is doing the next Bond. Plus there’s a new series coming out which unlike series 2 had the original writer involved.)

And yes, Suits is still going. It gets co-released week by week on Netflix now. (Currently on the midseason break).

Last edited:

Well I obviously didn;t think the first answer was sufficient to answer my question and thought it was required again and then forgot I'd already asked. ;)

I've spent more time on this thread about I program I didn't enjoy than the sods did on the island (if in fact they were on an island - I never saw the last few series)

@Pants - wouldn;t let me quote the above

if in fact they were on an island
Yes, they were. Everything that happened on the island happened for real. It wasn't a dream or simulation, the island was real. At the centre of the island was basically a gateway to heaven spewing out radiation/magnetism/magic, which if closed, would end the world. It's what crashed the plane. Dharma and the scientists were there studying it, 'the others' were there guarding it, Jack and the crew were "brought" there by Jacob (a ghost that lived on the island) to be it's protectors and kill "the black smoke monster" (which was actually Jacob's brother) because he wanted to close the gateway and leave the island, which was bad, and in the end Jack dies.. goes to heaven.. and meets everyone in heaven.

I liked Lost. Unfortunately they never had a plan and the last season was shite. They just weren't Sci-fi writters and were out of their depth. However the reality of the thing is it's about the characters and they were good.

Comparing it to the HBO shows is pointless. It was on NBC on a week night,so for a far more commerical audience than those HBO shows that aren't on network tele.

Obviously Game of Thrones is in a league of it's own in terms of tele. Ray Donnavan is really good and one people haven't mentioned. Dexter and Billions are good too.
Dexter was shocking the last couple of seasons.

Watched it all a couple of years ago after watching the first few series when it first came out.

Honestly wouldn't bother with it tbh, it starts pretty good and just goes slowly downhill, chucking random things at you that are never explained, and then just ends. There's some good bits but it's just constantly leading you to a climax that never comes.

There's about 120 hour-long episodes as well. Start playing the piano instead and you'll be decent in 120 hours.

Last edited:
That's false, tbf. Everything gets explained in the end. The real chore is waiting 4 seasons to find out, which isn't so bad if you're binge watching.

The "explanation" is a total anti-climax. Would have been better to go with Kate waking up on the plane... "it was all a dream"... and then John Locke turns round and gives Kate a knowing wink.

LOST

Well that escalated quickly.

Unlike the show which goes about 70 episodes before they get any further forward, meanwhile everything just gets more confusing for the viewer.

It was decent TBH, some good characters and a sense of "what the fuck", but couldn't be arsed to watch it all again knowing how it ends.

Watched The Leftovers ( by the same makers as Lost apparantly) and really enjoyed it.
Always forget about the leftovers but it’s some of the best tv I’ve ever seen. Especially the second series. That’s not to take away from the others tho which are both excellent too

Dexter was shocking the last couple of seasons.
Was waiting for someone to come along and say that! It’s like tv thread bingo! :lol:

Last edited:
Unlike the show which goes about 70 episodes before they get any further forward, meanwhile everything just gets more confusing for the viewer.

It was decent TBH, some good characters and a sense of "what the fuck", but couldn't be arsed to watch it all again knowing how it ends.
I actually think if you watched it again with your wisened mature outlook on life you'd appreciate it a bit more than you remember it, and understand it a bit more too. I did the same. I remember it being shite from the 00's, mainly because it never answered x,y and z or took forever doing so (I probably missed episodes from being out/asleep etc adding to my confusion), so I never finished it. But, then when I binge rewatched it 6 months ago, everything made perfect sense. I'd put it up along side Sopranos, Band of Brothers and The Wire as best TV show any day.

I do understand the anger though, waiting 6 years to find out wtf is happening is a long time.

Always forget about the leftovers but it’s some of the best tv I’ve ever seen. Especially the second series. That’s not to take away from the others tho which are both excellent too

Was waiting for someone to come along and say that! It’s like tv thread bingo! :lol:
I thought the last season of the Leftovers was really disappointing.

Back