Lost grounds you visited

Edgeley Park.
I had no idea they had moved.

they haven’t apparently
Sorry for misleading you. I never saw a league match at Cathkin Park. There was a non-league / junior match played there the morning when I was taken to the 1976 Scottish Cup Final. There were weeds and grass all over the old terraces and the pitch looked like the Everglades. Being 8, though, I was still mesmerised by it, even though only a few dozen were there.

cathkin park was third lanark right? My uncle supported them as a boy

Last edited:
3 more that I missed off my initial list:

Burnden Park -was there for the FA Cup game 83/84ish,the Lee Chapman in yellow away kit era.

Highfield Road in 1990, the Colin Heaney leg-break match and the last seaso they played there, and out first match of the season on the Sunday on TV.

Leeds Road -Huddersfield, v Fulham with a Fulham fan. The Huddersfield fans would migrate at half-time to the other and as it was mostly terracing, and glare at the away fans....nasty bunch back then in the early 80s.

Brentford -Griffin Park come the end of this season.

Yes. You can still see the terraces today, although moss is winning the battle to cover it.

Terrible the way Third Lanark was wound up. No debts at all. An unscrupulous owner wanted to develop the site, and closed the club down to facilitate it. Glasgow Council told him to do one, though, so an empty ground was left.

It would seem so, mate.
I first started going to the away games in the 70's and carried on going home and away, until illness put paid to my football trips in 2008.
I'm fine nowadays, but only do the home games, these days.
I got to know many people from those away days, lots have become great friends, and there's those, who's names I don't know, but I always give & get a nod of acknowledgement from, as I and they, remember familiar faces from the decades of away trips, down the years.
I started going away in 1972. Villa were in the 3rd tier then and it enabled me to visit a lot of grounds that most Villa fans haven’t seen us play at. I still go away and in the last 3 years have seen several stadiums for the first time. This season I ticked off the last pl ground I hadn’t been to(Watford). Just Brentford and Charlton to do in the championship.

I only watch Villa so doubt I’ll ever do a ground if we’re not playing.

I’m getting near the 96 or whatever it is but I’ve seen Villa play in over 100 stadiums

I started going away in 1972. Villa were in the 3rd tier then and it enabled me to visit a lot of grounds that most Villa fans haven’t seen us play at. I still go away and in the last 3 years have seen several stadiums for the first time. This season I ticked off the last pl ground I hadn’t been to(Watford). Just Brentford and Charlton to do in the championship.

I only watch Villa so doubt I’ll ever do a ground if we’re not playing.

I’m getting near the 96 or whatever it is but I’ve seen Villa play in over 100 stadiums
Funnily enough, my first game at Roker Park, was in 1972.
My Dad took me to Roker, to see Sunderland against Villa, in the old division 2.

The match ended 2-2 and as a 9 year old lad from Hartlepool, I loved the atmosphere, and loved seeing Billy Hughes in full flight, taking on and beating defenders for fun.
I was hooked for life, and still love going to watch Sunderland with my mates, 48 years on from that first game, at Roker Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funnily enough, my first game at Roker Park, was in 1972.
My Dad took me to Roker, to see Sunderland against Villa, in the old division 2.

The match ended 2-2 and as a 9 year old lad from Hartlepool, I loved the atmosphere, and loved seeing Billy Hughes in full flight, taking on and beating defenders for fun.
I was hooked for life, and still love going to watch Sunderland with my mates, 48 years on from that first game, at Roker Park.

I was lucky - I knew a bloke who traveled everywhere and he took me for the first 2 seasons when most kids were lucky if they got to home games.

I went to RP in 74 (0-0). Great result for us. Was on the old Roker end about half way up. Every time Sunderland came forward, it seemed like the whole end roared “haway” at the same time

I was lucky - I knew a bloke who traveled everywhere and he took me for the first 2 seasons when most kids were lucky if they got to home games.

I went to RP in 74 (0-0). Great result for us. Was on the old Roker end about half way up. Every time Sunderland came forward, it seemed like the whole end roared “haway” at the same time
I'm pleased you got to experience the old Roker End, as it was, and not the Roker End which was halved in capacity, because of safety regulations in the mid 80's.
The noise generated from there, especially in big games, is legendary, and there's been many posts on here, about those memories.
The great Spurs captain, Danny Blanchflower spoke of being terrified by the Roker Roar, during a cup tie, in the early 60's.
He'd never heard anything like it, or anything as fearsomely loud.
Bob Wilson said the same thing, when Arsenal played us in the 1973 cup semi final.

Your own Holte End, back in the day, was huge, just like the South Bank iirc at Wolves, and the noise from there was always incredible.
Sadly football grounds have lost a lot of the atmosphere these days, due mainly all seater stadiums, imo.

Ninan Park
Belle Vue
Old Wembley
White Heart Lane - if that counts.
Highbury
Bootham Crescent - has that gone?
Upton Park
Maine Road
Roker Park
Ninan Park
Belle Vue
Old Wembley
Highbury
Upton Park
Maine Road
Roker Park

Add Millnoor and Highfield Road to those.
Highfield Road
Millmoor
Ninan Park
Belle Vue
Old Wembley
Highbury
Upton Park
Maine Road
Roker Park
Highfield Road
Millmoor

Last edited:
Following on from the other thread

Roker Park
Old wembley
Maine Road
Upton Park
White Hart Lane
Layer Road
Varkenoord

And not a lost ground but the Darlington Arena might as well be included
For me - Ayresome Park; Belle Vue; Boothferry Park; Burden Park; Eastville; Feethams; Filbert Street; Gay Meadow; Highbury; Maine Road; Manor Ground; Ninan Park; Roker Park; Sealand Road and Wembley. Most fondly remembered - Roker; Wembley (only in '73!)

Roker
Boro
Darlo
Huddersfield
Bolton
Man City
Leicester
Chesterfield
Hull
Arsenal
Spurs
Stoke
West Ham
Coventry
Cardiff
Brighton
Millwall
Oxford
Derby
Also been to Bramhall Lane when still a cricket ground,along with a lot on the list not a pleasant experience back in the day.

Roker
Ayresome Park
Maine Road
Filbert Street
Baseball Ground
Highfield Road
Highbury
White Hart Lane
Upton Park
Manor Ground
Leeds Road
Layer Road