Lost grounds you visited

It would seem so, mate.
I first started going to the away games in the 70's and carried on going home and away, until illness put paid to my football trips in 2008.
I'm fine nowadays, but only do the home games, these days.
I got to know many people from those away days, lots have become great friends, and there's those, who's names I don't know, but I always give & get a nod of acknowledgement from, as I and they, remember familiar faces from the decades of away trips, down the years.
I e been to that many it’s not worth the half hour it would take me to remember them all. The lists are that long that I doubt anyone is reading them anymore so I’ll agree with yours if you don’t mind.
I didn’t go to Southampton, Reading, Wimbledon or Shrewsbury.

I used to live near Brighton (and Hove, actually) in the 90s and my best mate at the time was a BHA supporter so ive been to the Goldstone Ground lots of times.
I used to live near Brighton (and Hove, actually) in the 90s and my best mate at the time was a BHA supporter so ive been to the Goldstone Ground lots of times.

We happened to get ambushed in what was known as "Boot boys Alley"
Luckily there was so much crap in the alley, that we started hoying it, at the group of Boro, who thought they were gonna give us a hiding.
We hoyed owt that was laying around, bottles, bricks, wooden chair legs, metal bin lids.
We held our own, and as we were hoying stuff, they retreated and as we got closer to them, they lost their nerve, and scattered.
A small victory to us, from what looked at first, like a losing position.
I used to love going to Ayresome Park, my favourite away game. I was in the Holgate when we stayed there, had fun in the paddocks, in the Clive Road end centre section twice, north cheesecake once when it went on and on and on, south cheesecake when they came in from the paddocks, in the Yellow Rose, twice. Second time they sent a PSG type unit in to remove me and a mate as the Boro lads recognised me from two seasons previously and it went up.I was minding my own business anarl.The Albert when they put the windows in, and a few full ons at the back of the Clive Road End and one in the park and another in the side street behind the away end leading to Linthorpe Road.
I have read all about our fans thinking it was dodgy, I thought it was great, we ran them all ower.
Except for a night match around about 1990 possibly a cup game when the seats in the away end were 50/50 but the 50 % of Boro were wanting it and only about 20% of ours were. There was fighting out the back and at the back of the seats.
We did okay at first but the tide turned and we ended up in front of them, not a good sign.
Waiting for the next charge, a group,of Mackems appeared at the top of the steps at the back, we heard their SAFC chant, then saw them. About thirty wearing kilts and boots, got there late.
Straight into the Boro.
The Boro ended up getting out anyway they could.
I know it changed later on but I used to enjoy Ayresome.

I used to love going to Ayresome Park, my favourite away game. I was in the Holgate when we stayed there, had fun in the paddocks, in the Clive Road end centre section twice, north cheesecake once when it went on and on and on, south cheesecake when they came in from the paddocks, in the Yellow Rose, twice. Second time they sent a PSG type unit in to remove me and a mate as the Boro lads recognised me from two seasons previously and it went up.I was minding my own business anarl.The Albert when they put the windows in, and a few full ons at the back of the Clive Road End and one in the park and another in the side street behind the away end leading to Linthorpe Road.
I have read all about our fans thinking it was dodgy, I thought it was great, we ran them all ower.
Except for a night match around about 1990 possibly a cup game when the seats in the away end were 50/50 but the 50 % of Boro were wanting it and only about 20% of ours were. There was fighting out the back and at the back of the seats.
We did okay at first but the tide turned and we ended up in front of them, not a good sign.
Waiting for the next charge, a group,of Mackems appeared at the top of the steps at the back, we heard their SAFC chant, then saw them. About thirty wearing kilts and boots, got there late.
Straight into the Boro.
The Boro ended up getting out anyway they could.
I know it changed later on but I used to enjoy Ayresome.
70_71 season was a cracking day out on the holgate.

Roker
Ayresome Park
Maine Road
Feethams
Bootham Crescent (gone start the end of the season)
Scarborough’s old ground
Boothferry Park
Belle Vue
Millmoor
Victoria Ground (Stoke)
Baseball Ground
Highfield Road
Upton Park
Highbury
The Den
Old Wembley
Goldstone Ground
The Dell
Boghead (Dumbarton)
Simonside Hall.......
Roker
Ayresome Park
Maine Road
Feethams
Scarborough’s old ground
Boothferry Park
Belle Vue
Millmoor
Victoria Ground (Stoke)
Baseball Ground
Highfield Road
Upton Park
Highbury
The Den
Old Wembley
Goldstone Ground
The Dell
Boghead (Dumbarton)
Simonside Hall.......
Oops....
Add Fellows Park Walsall
And Ashington’s old ground....

Last edited:
Roker
Ayresome Park
Maine Road
Feethams
Scarborough’s old ground
Boothferry Park
Belle Vue
Millmoor
Victoria Ground (Stoke)
Baseball Ground
Highfield Road
Upton Park
Highbury
The Den
Old Wembley
Goldstone Ground
The Dell
Boghead (Dumbarton)
Simonside Hall.......

Oops....
Add Fellows Park Walsall
And Ashington’s old ground..
Roker
Ayresome Park
Maine Road
Feethams
Scarborough’s old ground
Boothferry Park
Belle Vue
Millmoor
Victoria Ground (Stoke)
Baseball Ground
Highfield Road
Upton Park
Highbury
The Den
Old Wembley
Goldstone Ground
The Dell
Boghead (Dumbarton)
Simonside Hall.......

Oops....
Add Fellows Park Walsall
And Ashington’s old ground....
First visited Portland park mid 60s for the dog racing,first football game Ashington v Celtic pre season 67_68 find raiser for the following season when they joined the Northern premier league or what ever it was called then.

Back