Losing the fans

I am definitely subdued. Won't be renewing next season. In the last 17 years, this will be my second time I have not renewed(I lived in Godalming for four of thoose years also) . I have missed three home games already this season. I have definitely lost the buzz.

Hopefully happier times ahead.

Yup get it to a level where they don’t have to invest and hope we go up
They massively misjudged the quality of the squad though. They tried to save a few quid cutting the scouting network and it back fired. Their decisions look more and more short term. Not decisions of a club trying to lay foundations for the future. The scouting network for a club in our position is a priority. Granted they’ve invested in it now but needed a loan from an external source to do it.

At work last night a warm blanket came over me. It really did offer some comfort to me when I began to just simply resign myself.

I began to think that over last 100 or more years since the first ever day of fixtures in the football league were played, many of the 47 clubs in the current EFL League 1 and 2 were at some point in the top tier of English football. And for many years despite never being likely to see those days again have made a comfortable living out of being perennial League 1 and 2 clubs.

Perhaps the best thing the fans can do to get each other on side is to do the same. The days of us being a top 2 tier club may have sadly gone. We need to now focus our attention on being the best in the lower EFL leagues.

At work last night a warm blanket came over me. It really did offer some comfort to me when I began to just simply resign myself.

I began to think that over last 100 or more years since the first ever day of fixtures in the football league were played, many of the 47 clubs in the current EFL League 1 and 2 were at some point in the top tier of English football. And for many years despite never being likely to see those days again have made a comfortable living out of being perennial League 1 and 2 clubs.

Perhaps the best thing the fans can do to get each other on side is to do the same. The days of us being a top 2 tier club may have sadly gone. We need to now focus our attention on being the best in the lower EFL leagues.
You sure it wasn't a wet blanket?

The people who reckon they have had enough, but post on here regular do they really think it’s going to be that easy to withdraw from the SAFC drug ?
I don’t blame anyone from walking away, life is short, time is precious when we work so many hours and have family’s.
The sensible thing is to stop going logically, but for me socially it’s not about the football, I owe SAFC nothing after 40 years watching us, no longer does it get me upset, what will be will be.

I was persuaded to go the match at 08:30 on Saturday morning.

I was in Sunderland by 10 and by 12:30 I had decided that I couldn't be arsed to go and sat and watched Chelsea in the warmth with an extra couple of pints instead.

The only downside to the decision to go was the 55 minute metro journey home.

This may be my last year with a season ticket if things don't improve massively.

This is the least interested I have been as a Sunderland fan. Even during the 15 and 19pt season and the double relegation I felt something. It's not nice going to matches when it's been defeat after defeat and you feel down afterwards but not feeling anything even after a win is pretty strange. I guess it's just so difficult to adjust to being in League One and now (apart from Tranmere) looking less than ordinary most weeks. The lack of ambition and being told our expectations are too high has took it's toll. Pretty much everyone who still goes who I got with are feeling near enough the same.

As a side note my mental health has been poor the last few months and I acknowledge that probably plays a part in how I feel, but in the past the football was always a good distraction now it's nothing. Still only missed the cup games mind out of habit.
Completely agree. One of the lads has stopped going, rest of us really couldn't be less interested at the minute, just go because it's something to do.

If you are the best in the lower leagues where do you get :lol:

Stuart Donald’s biggest problem is he dropped the ball big time when he had the chance for a clean slate managerial appointment that would of galvanised the squad and fans alike...just as it was in 2006 and the place just snowballed into the juggernaut that would finish the league In style....instead he went for the cheapest and uninspired choice out of the lot that would leave the place flatlining when it should of been the jolt it required, he’s made his decision but it’s going to cost a hell of a lot of money to sort this shit shower out in January

Keano would have frightened the life out of SD & Co.
Just like a certain Brian Clough would have done in years gone by.
Instead ................................... :cry:

The people who reckon they have had enough, but post on here regular do they really think it’s going to be that easy to withdraw from the SAFC drug ?
I don’t blame anyone from walking away, life is short, time is precious when we work so many hours and have family’s.
The sensible thing is to stop going logically, but for me socially it’s not about the football, I owe SAFC nothing after 40 years watching us, no longer does it get me upset, what will be will be.

I didnt go on Saturday, but spent the 90 mins checking my phone, I will be renewing again next season no matter what happens, I've always gone to the match since being young and hate the close season when there's no football on.

Im also into my 40th year of going to the match, I understand there's very few clubs successful every season, at the minute its just knocking the stuffing out of me how bad we are, especially how unfit and disinterested the players are, never mind the lack of ability and excitement, its really not much fun watching them plod about at the minute, and reading comments that we are on the bones of our arse doesn't fill you with optimism and hope for the future.

We really did need a manager that was going to lift the fans, Parkinson may well turn out to be ok, hope he does well, the club had the opportunity to lift the whole place, instead apathy has well and truly set in.

It's shit but I'll still go. Just not to as many games but I'll still purchase a season ticket.

I didnt go on Saturday, but spent the 90 mins checking my phone, I will be renewing again next season no matter what happens, I've always gone to the match since being young and hate the close season when there's no football on.

Im also into my 40th year of going to the match, I understand there's very few clubs successful every season, at the minute its just knocking the stuffing out of me how bad we are, especially how unfit and disinterested the players are, never mind the lack of ability and excitement, its really not much fun watching them plod about at the minute, and reading comments that we are on the bones of our arse doesn't fill you with optimism and hope for the future.

We really did need a manager that was going to lift the fans, Parkinson may well turn out to be ok, hope he does well, the club had the opportunity to lift the whole place, instead apathy has well and truly set in.
good post i can relate to

Bought two season cards this year after 5 years away for me and our lass who isnt even a Sunderland fan in the vain hope that by taking her, shed get the bug, even if socially it was a great thing to do... Feels like Ive bought her a zaconia hoping it might turn out to be a diamond.. at least she gets a pearl necklace

Of course.

If you're not among the hardcore. You may not want to spend Saturday afternoons watching a bang average league one side.

Some will have other things to do and I wouldn't blame for choosing to do that.
I’m a lot happier generally since I stopped going. So is my family and I have a few more quid in my pocket. I won’t be back till SD gone. Appointment of Parkinson did it for me. In fact, after 44 years following the lads all over the country that may well be it full stop. It’s breaking a habit that’s bad for you. The club will always be in my heart...even though they break it more often than not.

I’m a lot happier generally since I stopped going. So is my family and I have a few more quid in my pocket. I won’t be back till SD gone. Appointment of Parkinson did it for me. In fact, after 44 years following the lads all over the country that may well be it full stop. It’s breaking a habit that’s bad for you. The club will always be in my heart...even though they break it more often than not.
Great post mate. You aren’t a mug, you knew what the Parkinson appointment was all about. I went to the Southend game at home and it was diabolical. Didn’t bother today and thank fuck. Won’t return until PP has gone. He’ll be lucky to get a job in the National League next.

Back