Losing a stone and a half

5'11"

Weigh 13 stone 9 tonight, it's not that overweight but still wouldn't mind getting rid of the extra flab. ordered a fitness tracker earlier and went for a run and went to the gym... going to stop eating bread/sugar as much as possible and I'm doing dry January. I want to try and lose as much as I can before the summer starts. If I can get down to under 13 stone I think that'll do me. If I keep on the way I'm going ATM I'll be 14 stone 9 next year and will be in danger of being a fat arse by 30

27 in the summer! If I don't get into shape now I might never do it
You can have that off in two month let alone by June. You're nothing but a kid, drop the ale and pizza, train for an hour a day, your metabolism will kick straight in within a month and it will fly off.

You can have that off in two month let alone by June. You're nothing but a kid, drop the ale and pizza, train for an hour a day, your metabolism will kick straight in within a month and it will fly off.

This is the hardest part for me, pretty disciplined through the week, but when it gets to the weekend either we go out for drinks and food, we stay in and have drinks and takeaway, or I go out with my mates and all hell breaks loose. Then there's the hangover curries and chineses and shawarma... Dry January should sort me out.

This is the hardest part for me, pretty disciplined through the week, but when it gets to the weekend either we go out for drinks and food, we stay in and have drinks and takeaway, or I go out with my mates and all hell breaks loose. Dry January should sort me out.
Good luck. I usually find if I eat 500 calories less than I use and train 6 days it will stand a 3000 cal hog out once a week.

This is the hardest part for me, pretty disciplined through the week, but when it gets to the weekend either we go out for drinks and food, we stay in and have drinks and takeaway, or I go out with my mates and all hell breaks loose. Then there's the hangover curries and chineses and shawarma... Dry January should sort me out.
You could try hypnotherapy, or you could refuse to eat all of that stuff?

Or maybe find the healthiest version of takeaways. Or eat something healthy before the takeaway and have small portions. Or halve the amount of shite and you will lose weight.

I’m not being harsh but you either want to lose weight , or you want to booze and eat lots of fatty food.

You could try hypnotherapy, or you could refuse to eat all of that stuff?

Or maybe find the healthiest version of takeaways. Or eat something healthy before the takeaway and have small portions. Or halve the amount of shite and you will lose weight.

I’m not being harsh but you either want to lose weight , or you want to booze and eat lots of fatty food.

I've just been for a run, burned 500 calories, came home and had a slice of last nights pizza :lol:. I get what you're saying though. I think it would be easier if I was a fat git because I'd feel more guilty. I'm only a bit overweight so it's harder.

I suppose this stone won't shift unless I make the change to "only want to lose weight". I keep telling myself January is the start of that and I feel optimistic.

Going out for a curry for our anniversary tonight as well...

Last edited:
I've just been for a run, burned 500 calories, came home and had a slice of last nights pizza :lol:. I get what you're saying though. I think it would be easier if I was a fat git because I'd feel more guilty. I'm only a bit overweight so it's harder.

I suppose this stone won't shift unless I make the change to "only want to lose weight". I keep telling myself January is the start of that and I feel optimistic.

Sorry if I was being an arse earlier, I shouldn’t be judgemental.

I’m sure you will lose weight if you really want to, and life is short so you might as well enjoy yourself a bit.

Get lifting some weights instead of solely punishing yourself with cardio. I had done that for years and this year I made a bigger difference to myself overall (heavier but leaner and fitter) by putting much more into lifting rather than just running/cross-trainer/rowing machine. Not saying cardio doesn't help, but alone I'd say it's really difficult.

That all said, track your calories and sort your diet or you've got next to no chance. If you manage that properly then you'll easy shift a stone and a half by summer.

I often have this problem but I find if I make a concerted effort to buy a load of the tastier fresh fruit, fish, veg, and snacks then I'm happy to eat them. Make sure there's nowt trashy in the house.

Get lifting some weights instead of solely punishing yourself with cardio. I had done that for years and this year I made a bigger difference to myself overall (heavier but leaner and fitter) by putting much more into lifting rather than just running/cross-trainer/rowing machine. Not saying cardio doesn't help, but alone I'd say it's really difficult.

That all said, track your calories and sort your diet or you've got next to no chance. If you manage that properly then you'll easy shift a stone and a half by summer.

I do go to the gym about 3 times a week to lift weights as well. Don't really follow a specific routine though I just do Chest+Tri's/Back+Bi's and alternate with some extras chucked in :lol:.

I think I prefer doing extra exercise and then eating whatever I want to an extent. Got a new fitness tracker thing and it reckons I burnt 5,254 calories yesterday :eek: I did have about 7 pints of Guinness on the afternoon and a massive curry on the night like.

I do go to the gym about 3 times a week to lift weights as well. Don't really follow a specific routine though I just do Chest+Tri's/Back+Bi's and alternate with some extras chucked in :lol:.

I think I prefer doing extra exercise and then eating whatever I want to an extent. Got a new fitness tracker thing and it reckons I burnt 5,254 calories yesterday :eek: I did have about 7 pints of Guinness on the afternoon and a massive curry on the night like.
Get a set routine, you'll benefit massively.

At age 26 I think its easily do-able, but you'll have to make the effort. At 41 I got back to the weight I was last at when I was in my mid 20's just from doing the right things and stepping up the exercise. Its up to you though if you are willing to make the sacrifices.

Turning 40 this year, did the Manchester 10k last year and injured my quad which seems to have taken nearly 6 months to heal. Finally looks like i'm about there but I rocketed up to 15.8 stone. Managed to get back down to 15st but now about to try and work my way back to 13st so signed up for the Tatton Park, Lincoln and ,Manchester 10k's this year. First time I've actually decided to give losing weight a proper go

Turning 40 this year, did the Manchester 10k last year and injured my quad which seems to have taken nearly 6 months to heal. Finally looks like i'm about there but I rocketed up to 15.8 stone. Managed to get back down to 15st but now about to try and work my way back to 13st so signed up for the Tatton Park, Lincoln and ,Manchester 10k's this year. First time I've actually decided to give losing weight a proper go

Spot on mate, you can do it.

Lost half a stone already man :cool:

Just been eating protein with every meal, as many vegetables and as little wheat as possible, and exercise every day. Obviously no alcohol as well. Feeling absolutely mint. The fitness watch has helped me keep an eye on how many calories I've burned and I am just going off that and consuming a few hundred less calories than I'm burning. Signed up for the Sunderland 10k so going to keep it going.

Last edited:
Lost half a stone already man :cool:

Just been eating protein with every meal, as many vegetables and as little wheat as possible, and exercise every day. Obviously no alcohol as well. Feeling absolutely mint. The fitness watch has helped me keep an eye on how many calories I've burned and I am just going off that and consuming a few hundred less calories than I'm burning. Signed up for the Sunderland 10k so going to keep it going.
Well done mate. Diet and drinking are really important like.

Well done mate. Diet and drinking are really important like.

Cheers. Feels good because it's stuff I've always known but just ignored in favour for getting pissed and eating pizza and burgers. Last two years I've been steadily getting worse, the weight just creeps up on you.

Going to keep running and see how fast I can do the 10k. Want to try and get down to 12st ideally but I'll be happy with whatever weight as long as I feel good.

Back