Los Alcázares, Murcia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never been, but looking at Villas around Murcia for next year- think I'll go based on comments.

The southern part of Costa Blanca is far nicer than anywhere north of Alicante to be fair. Laid-back lifestyle, awesome food, cheap drink and the weather, of course.

Murcia is an ancient city steeped in history. Loads to do and see but you do need a semblance of Spanish to get by. Alicante itself is much the same. Both have great castles, but Alicante sneaks it for me.

Plenty of coastal town from La Manga area up to Santa Pola...

• La Manga - depressingly quiet, even in summer. Rows of hotels on one spit of land.
  • Los Alaczares - full of Brits, karaoke and sports bars.
  • San Pedro - nowt there, bleak.
  • Cabo Roig - bit more select, nice beach
  • Playa Flamenca - full of part-time millionaires, golfing arseholes and their trashy wives
  • Punta Prima - quite Spanish, great seafood restaurants but little else
  • Torrevieja - nice mix of everything, quite cosmopolitan, busy. Ferry to Tabarca is recommended.
  • La Mata - very Spanish, quiet, lovely beach
  • Campomar - nothing there any more, really suffered after housing crash.
  • Guardamar - pick of the bunch. Beautiful beach, loads of seafood restaurants and tapas bars, laid back and friendly.
  • La Marina - avoid the new urbanisation to save your sanity, old village by the sea is lovely but very quiet. Lush beach.
  • Santa Pola - busy industrial town but has great beach. More ferries to Tabarca and Ibiza make it a great base for travelling types.
  • Villajoyosa - lovely prom, loads to choose from. Chocolate factory will interest some in the family (free samples in the shop, like)

Hope that helps.

The southern part of Costa Blanca is far nicer than anywhere north of Alicante to be fair. Laid-back lifestyle, awesome food, cheap drink and the weather, of course.

Murcia is an ancient city steeped in history. Loads to do and see but you do need a semblance of Spanish to get by. Alicante itself is much the same. Both have great castles, but Alicante sneaks it for me.

• La Manga - depressingly quiet, even in summer. Rows of hotels on one spit of land.
  • Playa Flamenca - full of part-time millionaires, golfing arseholes and their trashy wives
  • Torrevieja - nice mix of everything, quite cosmopolitan, busy. Ferry to Tabarca is recommended.
  • Guardamar - pick of the bunch. Beautiful beach, loads of seafood restaurants and tapas bars, laid back and friendly.
  • La Marina - avoid the new urbanisation to save your sanity, old village by the sea is lovely but very quiet. Lush beach.
  • Santa Pola - busy industrial town but has great beach. More ferries to Tabarca and Ibiza make it a great base for travelling types.
  • Villajoyosa - lovely prom, loads to choose from. Chocolate factory will interest some in the family (free samples in the shop, like)

Hope that helps.
Brilliant! Cheers.

Hope that helps.
We intend to go to that area for about a month early next year . Could a decent hotel be about the same price as a quality self catering establishment ? I think the 525 only does b+b out of season, is that right?

We intend to go to that area for about a month early next year . Could a decent hotel be about the same price as a quality self catering establishment ? I think the 525 only does b+b out of season, is that right?

Prices vary immensely across the board, I'd be happy to ask around for a long term let quote for you.

Personally, I'd be developing a bit of cabin fever after more than a week in the same hotel room, regardless of how much I got out and about. That's just me though.

Up until today, I hadn't heard of the 525, so can't comment. Are you going house-hunting, D.O.G.?

PM me if you like

Hope that helps.

I think that you have Los Alaczares and Torrevieja mixed up marra.

Torrevieja is like a sunny Pennywell in some places.

I think that you have Los Alaczares and Torrevieja mixed up marra.

Torrevieja is like a sunny Pennywell in some places.

The suburbs yeah, but not the promenade and sea front area - I suppose it depends on what area your budget stretches to.
I'd recommend staying central & going when they have one of their biannual (that's twice a year) tapas festivals on.

Los Alcazares is packed with the worst sort of Brits. Those that think they have money, but haven't.
At least Benidorm is honestly brash and unashamed.

The suburbs yeah, but not the promenade and sea front area - I suppose it depends on what area your budget stretches to.
I'd recommend staying central & going when they have one of their biannual (that's twice a year) tapas festivals on.

Los Alcazares is packed with the worst sort of Brits. Those that think they have money, but haven't.
At least Benidorm is honestly brash and unashamed.

:eek::eek:
Really? A bit of a sweeping statement if ever there was one!!!
@Typhoonftm - what do you reckon??

In my experience haven't met any trashy weekend millionaires in LA, just decent retirees or few just wanted to get out of the uk. We spend half the year here and half back home, at the minute it's working ok, it's a nice place plenty of bars and restaurants if u want to be English, but the vast majority is Spanish. The old town hardly speakee inglasie in lots of bars and restaurants, f***ing class they could be calling me owt but they smile while they're doing it :)

Prices vary immensely across the board, I'd be happy to ask around for a long term let quote for you.

Personally, I'd be developing a bit of cabin fever after more than a week in the same hotel room, regardless of how much I got out and about. That's just me though.

Up until today, I hadn't heard of the 525, so can't comment. Are you going house-hunting, D.O.G.?

PM me if you like
Yes we are house hunting . Been to Malaga area, nice but expensive, Nerja, nice but expensive, Puerto Mazaron crap, Mojacar nice but a long ride to the airport . Looking for somewhere near the sea with some greenery, quiet, 2 bed, 2 bathrooms , preferably a townhouse, £150k max. Don't want a pm as I use an odd email address and I dont know how to retrieve emails from it . I have to use it cos this board wont accept my regular email .

In my experience haven't met any trashy weekend millionaires in LA, just decent retirees or few just wanted to get out of the uk. We spend half the year here and half back home, at the minute it's working ok, it's a nice place plenty of bars and restaurants if u want to be English, but the vast majority is Spanish. The old town hardly speakee inglasie in lots of bars and restaurants, f***ing class they could be calling me owt but they smile while they're doing it :)
Pretty much how it felt like to me. I'm 39 yo and felt young'ish over there but we sat and drank with loads of very friendly people in bars, was nice to talk to people without having to shout over boom boom boom music and wankers staggering all over. Wasn't expecting much when I went there but came away thinking what a great time we had might do 10 nights next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back