Looks like the Greek economy might just be turning the corner

It’s ruined parts of their society though. There’s a whole no-go zone in Athens now that is ‘ruled’ by anarchists, and their drug issues are immense.
oh aye, they are pretty much fucked like. The economy is 25% smaller than before the crisis, that is vast! Seems to be a lot of folks holidaying there though which can only be a good thing for them. Staying in the eurozone is definitely crippling them though.

oh aye, they are pretty much fucked like. The economy is 25% smaller than before the crisis, that is vast! Seems to be a lot of folks holidaying there though which can only be a good thing for them. Staying in the eurozone is definitely crippling them though.
At least it’s sunny, that always helps.

I reckon even I might be a bit more cheerful if the weather was nice.

Was listening to something on the fake news over the weekend saying they pay as much as a % in tax as any other 'western' nation but satisfaction with their public services are rock bottom.

we have just been to kafelonia and it was not as busy as it usually is.

The were a good few empty seats on the plane (start of august) and a good few on the way back. Normally at this time of year the planes are full. the resort was very quite as whereas 2 years ago good tavernas had seating on any spare ground. this year the capacity was well below that. Unless entertainment was on, when it would be full, but the others were empty.

Prices have gone up as well. I don't think the 7euros tax put anybody off, but to eat out with the 24% vat and increasing the prices of greek specialities was a crippler and raised the bill.

one starter between 2, bread, 2 main courses, 2 pints and a bottle of water varied in price from about 35 - 45 euros

Argostoli was relatively quiet as well and not the numbers we had experienced on previous years, even at night.

don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our holiday and we enjoyed our stay at the studios we were in (we had stayed there before) and we were looked after well, but something was missing

That’s because I’ve just been on holiday and spent a small fortune. It’s not cheap!!

At least it’s sunny, that always helps.

I reckon even I might be a bit more cheerful if the weather was nice.

It was 40c plus most days I was there. Must be unbearable to work in, it’s not as bad when your on holiday and can jump in the pool. Even eating out for tea was difficult as it was so hot. I was practically soaking whilst eating my meal.

Last edited:

Back